watchOS 3 support?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by AppleDavid, May 1, 2016.

?

Will the 1. gen. Apple Watch get watchOS 3?

Poll closed May 15, 2016.
  1. Yes.

63 vote(s)
    95.5%
  2. No.

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  3. Maybe?

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
  1. AppleDavid macrumors regular

AppleDavid

Hello!

What do you think, will the first gen. Apple Watch get watchOS 3?

Regards,

David

2. treichert macrumors 6502

3. 617aircav Suspended

4. Andres Cantu macrumors 68020

Andres Cantu

It will, but the Apple Watch 2nd generation will probably get an exclusive software feature or two.

Then the 1st generation watch will probably also get watchOS 4, but have limited support (just like the first iPhone had limited support for iOS 4).

5. AppleDavid thread starter macrumors regular

AppleDavid

This is true, but I hope that we will still get a cup of innovations with watchOS 3... :)

6. JohnApples macrumors 65816

If they're still selling a device right before they announce a new OS, I think that's pretty much guaranteeing that it will get the new OS.

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

The clue op is in the name. It's an Apple Watch not a Samsung/Google watch

8. tonoboon macrumors regular

tonoboon

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

wOS3 will run just fine, but you may not want to run wOS5 on AW1 even if Apple lets you. The oldest iDevices usually take a hit on the newest OS designed for iDevices a few generations apart.

10. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

I am not 100% convinced that this is going to be true. The AW is wearable tech, very different from a phone or computer. It's a completely new class of technology so what type of update cycle we will see is a complete unknown.

11. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

AW os 1 and 2 are already laggy. Imagine os 5 lol.

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Which part of the statement are you referring to? True, we've already seen a different update cycle, as the AW1 already received wOS2 (iDevices are normally updated with a new OS). However, I seriously doubt they'll obsolete AW1 as soon as they debut AW2 with wOS3. More likely, they'll cripple wOS3 for use on the AW1 and it'll lack the exclusive software feature(s) that one might get with the AW2. Apple is pretty predictable in this way if history is any indication.

13. ericwn macrumors 6502a

Only problem is that this device is no iDevice. This is an "a" device. ;)

14. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Agreed, but that's beside the point. All I'm saying is given Apple's reputation of their oldest iDevices running the newest OS less than optimally, don't be surprised if the same happens with the AW. After all, everyone at Apple moves to the latest products as they're released.

15. ericwn macrumors 6502a

We will have to wait and see. My Apple TV on the other hand runs nicely with its latest updates, so there is a positive example as well.

I know a bunch of people working for Apple and your statement that they all move to the latest hardware immediately is far from reality.

16. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I wasn't talking about those who work in lowly positions or Apple Store employees. Apple executives and higher ups involved in decision making do move to the latest products immediately.

17. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

Who knows. The original iPad only got 2 updates. The iPhone got to iOS 3. The Apple TV 3 has been getting steady updates since 2012.

I wonder if Apple will ever activate the oximeter in the watch.

18. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

Can't say it's the same at Apple, but I was at an app dev shop recently and saw one of their programmers carrying a white MacBook.

Yes, really, a white plastic MacBook, possibly ten years old, because they write Web apps and games for a children's TV network and can't expect every kid to have access to the latest and greatest hardware.