Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What would you like to see in watchOS 4?

• A new App Screen

Votes: 82 23.4%
  • New native health features

Votes: 151 43.0%
  • Siri responding with speech

Votes: 65 18.5%
  • A 3rd party Watch face store

Votes: 235 67.0%
  • Other (specify in the comments)

Votes: 30 8.5%

• Total voters

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
In just 15 months, Apple has released three Watch operating systems. It looks like they finally settled on one that is fast, organized and that knows what it wants to be.

With that out of the way, Apple has no doubt started work on watchOS 4 where it will begin polishing the experience while adding new features. What would you like you see in the next major update?

terminator-jq

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
As I said in another thread, there is more interest (and therefore more money) in fitness accessories than there is in smart watches. Apple knows this and I think future updates (both hardware and software) will be aimed at making the Apple Watch the go-to fitness wearable. Just look at the way they introduced the Series 2.

It would also be nice to see some optimization in order to push the battery life to 2 days with normal use.

Reactions: kyte

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
I want an always on screen (even if limited to a low power mode), a speaker that can play podcasts ( the speaker is good enough for that already, so they just need to turn it on). I also want Now Playing back, but with AirPlay options without pulling up the Music app ( they could do that without much trouble at all). The watch face store would be awesome, too.

I love the new update, though. It makes the AW feel like a new watch.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
The App screen is something that is going to have to be rethought from scratch. I like the idea that Watch faces are app launchers themselves, with complications serving as information as well as a shortcut to the app. Like in iOS, you can have multiple home screens as you can have multiple watch screens in watchOS.

Perhaps a grid of app icons that you look for and tap to open, don't belong on the Watch.

Apps on watchOS should be designed to fall into these categories:

Siri launched: Hey Siri, get me an Uber.
Complication launched: Weather shown on complication, tap to launch details
Notification launched: Your team scored! Tap to launch details
Dock launched: Apps with glanceable information. Tap to launch the full app

A new crown scrollable App screen could be placed to the left of the leftmost Dock app. That would be a way to see all apps currently installed, but not the primary method for launching apps.

The Dock button makes the most sense for launching apps, not the Digital Crown which is best seen as a controller for in-app interactions. I think that it would make sense to turn the Digital Crown press into a "select" action. Turn the crown to move through options, press to select one. A lot of people actually do this from what I've read (I sometimes do it too). It's intuitive to press after selecting and it's a bit jarring when you're kicked out of the app for pressing the crown during a selection.

Reactions: kyte and Vampire14

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
id like to see user or developer buildable Watch faces. I feel like the competition is ahead here. If we can have Mickey Mouse I'd love to have things like a pip boy!

You won't get this for intellectual property reasons. I also think Apple has a good business selling Apple watches in partnership with the likes of Hermes and Nike and providing special watch faces.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
You won't get this for intellectual property reasons. I also think Apple has a good business selling Apple watches in partnership with the likes of Hermes and Nike and providing special watch faces.
Why would there be an intellectual property issue? Just require the person who owns the IP to make the Watch face. I obviously can't sell something I don't own which is the case with everything digital, right?

ButteryScrollin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2014
The most you'll ever get from Apple re: watch faces is a controlled store where they work with companies (Nintendo, Disney, NFL etc.) to make the faces.
I don't think there will be a way for regular Joe to make and sell watch faces.

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
Why Apple doesn't have a watch face store already is beyond me. They could make millions and I know they can do it without lawsuit concerns. They added a decent watch face analog for the Nike. Heck, Apple can open up to developers or hoard this for themselves. Most of the watches faces to me are weak at best.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Why Apple doesn't have a watch face store already is beyond me. They could make millions and I know they can do it without lawsuit concerns. They added a decent watch face analog for the Nike. Heck, Apple can open up to developers or hoard this for themselves. Most of the watches faces to me are weak at best.
Millions isn't a lot for Apple... :p

But really, I think they have more pressing matters than a watch face store. Or at least, had.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I'm not sure that they'd want an equivalent of fart apps on watch faces. Remember, Apple has never allowed skinning iOS. I don't think that they're about to let parties "deface" their watch face.

Perhaps they could introduce highly customizable faces in watchOS 4. Multiple fonts to choose from, adjustable widths and shapes for clock hands, colours and backgrounds. That would cover most use cases while maintaining control of the look of the Apple Watch.

I also like how Apple is working with other brands to introduce special watch faces along with watch bands. I'd like to see that expand. Nike is a perfect fit here. I'm curious what the next brand partnership is.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
The most you'll ever get from Apple re: watch faces is a controlled store where they work with companies (Nintendo, Disney, NFL etc.) to make the faces.
I don't think there will be a way for regular Joe to make and sell watch faces.
I'd be ok with that. Pretty impressed with how many different IPs are already present amongst stickers. I'd be much more inclined to pay $5 (maybe more) for a Watch face than $2 for a stick pack.
[doublepost=1474087134][/doublepost]
I'm not sure that they'd want an equivalent of fart apps on watch faces. Remember, Apple has never allowed skinning iOS. I don't think that they're about to let parties "deface" their watch face.

Perhaps they could introduce highly customizable faces in watchOS 4. Multiple fonts to choose from, adjustable widths and shapes for clock hands, colours and backgrounds. That would cover most use cases while maintaining control of the look of the Apple Watch.

I also like how Apple is working with other brands to introduce special watch faces along with watch bands. I'd like to see that expand. Nike is a perfect fit here. I'm curious what the next brand partnership is.
See my comment above. In thinking more along the lines of companies that have jumped on board for stickers. Intends. Pokémon company. Atari. Etc.

I personally see this as very different from iOS (and is already treated as such with a Mickey and Minnie Watch face). Watches are very personal and reflective of ones style. I think Apple has made more first party bands then they have phone cases (and I include all phone cases they've ever made). They're not oblivious to this desire I just don't think it's a priority. Watch OS 3 is finally coming into its own as useful. I think we will see more fun things down the pipeline

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Watch OS 3 is finally coming into its own as useful. I think we will see more fun things down the pipeline

Indeed. Now that speed and UI issues have been largely addressed, I'm excited where this brand new platform will go.

I imagine that Apple Watch and AirPods were built for one another to be used as a wearable omnipresent AI assistant. You can speak to and hear Siri through your AirPods and glance at your wrist for any visual information and touch feedback.

With the impressive focus on AI that Apple has been giving us a peek at, a lot of which has already been implemented in iOS 10, it won't be long before we have complete access to all the power of the internet and its services with just a Watch on our wrist and AirPods in our ears.

Next step on the hardware route is a cell chip. Meanwhile, let's see what Apple can deliver while there's still an iPhone in our pocket.

Reactions: Vampire14

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
An iOS-like grid of icons across multiple screens? Nope. Already tried it.

Yes, my pic only shows my iPod Nano's watch face, but let me tell ya, swiping across multiple screenfuls of apps sucks compared to the bubbling app field in watchOS.

"Swipe-swipe-swipe-whoops, too far, swipe backwards-tap" loses to "slide-tap."

c052651979002bb129122d6e6e44fe90.jpg

Reactions: Traverse

eastwoodandy

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2016
Nottingham, England
Better interaction between 3rd party workout apps and health data. I see lots of threads where people talk about launching the Apple workout app AND their 3rd party workout app of choice.

I haven't started to use my watch to track my daily cycle commute yet (on paternity leave). I assumed the health data is centrally stored and pushed/pulled to 3rd party apps so you can use your app of choice to track & analyse the data.

More customisation for watch faces AND nightstand mode is a must. A watch face store would be great, even if it's for approved big brand sellers only.

Buran

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2007
id like to see user or developer buildable Watch faces. I feel like the competition is ahead here. If we can have Mickey Mouse I'd love to have things like a pip boy!

I was very surprised when 3.0 didn't include thirdparty faces, even if Apple only allowed some developers to make them.

I also would like a 24-hour option for analog faces, in which the hour hand would only make one revolution per day around a face with twice as many hour hash marks. As an example, this ship's clock (1920s-1930s, though this type remained in use through at least WWII) would be a great watch face for me. Allow choices of face color as is done with Chronometer, and the option to hide or show hour markings as some of the other faces do. Or, perhaps, add 12/24-hour option to existing analog faces. A smartwatch is perfect for this kind of thing since the same watch can make everybody happy.

If thirdparty watch faces were possible, I imagine this problem would have been solved long ago.

I am also a type 2 diabetic and I use the Dexcom G5 sensor system. I would like to see this replaced by non-invasive Raman spectroscopic blood sugar measuring. Apple did hire some people from a company that was working on that (which seems to have folded, alas) and I'd love to be able to ditch the needle sticks and just wear a watch that can take the measurements whenever it measures my heart rate.

Last edited:

jasonklee

Suspended
Dec 7, 2007
Doubt we'll ever see third-party watchfaces. A face is as vital to the brand as the case body itself. I don't see Apple giving up control over the aesthetics of the faces. I don't think they see faces as wallpaper.

eXMomoj

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2016
A watch face store. Give us the ability to buy additional watch faces even if they are only sold by Apple. I'm surprised this hasn't happened yet; Apple could be making a good amount of money selling watch faces. I'd instantly buy a Roman Numeral watch face similar to the Hermes' one for $20.

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2015
If all of the competing smart watch products have 3rd party watch faces available, and it becomes a significant marketing disadvantage to Apple, then Apple will likely open the app store for watch faces.

So the question is, are there any smart watches on the market now that do not offer 3rd party watch faces?

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
The odd restrictions on the microphone and speaker have got to go. Apps being unable to use them when it would be useful for them to makes no sense.

And, definitely, more watch faces. The handful that are available are nice but, I wish I could do more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.