Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The new watchOS 7 update includes a new Apple Watch feature that's designed to let users customize all of their Activity goals, setting not only calorie targets, but also Stand hours and Exercise minutes.

applewatchactivitycustomization.jpg

In watchOS 6, there is no option to customize Stand hours or Exercise minutes, with Apple requiring at least 12 stand hours and at least 30 minutes of exercise to complete an Activity goal. Goals will be much more customizable with watchOS 7.

The Exercise goal can be set for as low as 10 minutes or as high as 60 minutes, while the Stand goal can be dropped to six hours. Twelve hours continues to be the maximum.

Activity goals can be changed by opening up the Activity app on the Apple Watch and scrolling down to get to the "Change Goals" option. Under Change Goals, you can set new Move, Exercise, and Stand goals.

Apple released the watchOS 7 GM earlier today, and plans to release the new update to the public tomorrow.

Article Link: watchOS 7 Lets You Customize Stand Hours and Exercise Minutes

munpip214

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
This is nice but the values seem odd. Basically they are letting people close their rings without trying now? I can understand increasing. Also, why the max values? Maybe I want to make sure to get 120 exercise minutes and 16 stand hours.

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
They need to let us develop off day profiles. For example on my off day, I only want to burn 250 cal, 10 work out minutes, and 8 stand hours.

then let me assign this profile to Tuesday and Thursday since those are my rest days.

while this is a step in the right direction, it still sounds very manual.

Eorlas

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2010
stand goal makes absolutely no sense to me.

i work a job that requires i stand for almost everything i do. someone sitting at a desk can walk for 1 min when they get the reminder, i can go the entire day and not clear the stand goal despite not sitting down for easily 10+ hours

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
They need to let us develop off day profiles. For example on my off day, I only want to burn 250 cal, 10 work out minutes, and 8 stand hours.

then let me assign this profile to Tuesday and Thursday since those are my rest days.

This!

You can do that but it will be a drag changing settings for it.

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK

Or sick days. I am on a huge streak at the moment and when I was ill (and should have really been in bed) I couldn't bring myself to allow the streak to be broken. It's a bit tragic, I get that, but....

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
Bah! Those were the two goals you couldn’t cheat on.
Well, you could still cheat before, just not by artificially lowering the goal. I’ve cheated on the Stand ring one day a few years back when I was stuck in bed with the flu. I still didn’t make it, though. :confused:

xyz01

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
Oslo, Norway

I would love that... in particular, I would like to be able to have rest days with low activity. If I've worked out really hard, the body needs to recover rather than reaching a goal. In aggregate, I would still be waay above the target - but the body needs a rest day.

Even better, the Apple Watch should use all the information it has and suggest this itself... good fitness devices have recovery information based on activity over time (and for particular days), sleep etc. and use it to suggest the training level you should be at.

Regbial

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
Well.. this kind of ruins the whole concept of the rings. Straight to the trash pile... It's just pointless now. So many awards will now be... meaningless. (I mean yeah, digital awards are largely meaningless, but now even more so...) But hey, anything for a fitness streaming service amirite?

ds2000

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2012

^^ this. I burn 800 cals exercising 4-5 times per week, Sunday is my Sunday, screw you Apple :)

Reactions: Nonie M. and xDKP

kstotlani

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2006
Well.. this kind of ruins the whole concept of the rings. Straight to the trash pile... It's just pointless now. So many awards will now be... meaningless. (I mean yeah, digital awards are largely meaningless, but now even more so...) But hey, anything for a fitness streaming service amirite?

no child left behind

scottish

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2011
Guess
Or sick days. I am on a huge streak at the moment and when I was ill (and should have really been in bed) I couldn't bring myself to allow the streak to be broken. It's a bit tragic, I get that, but....
I’ve done the same. Ended up adding a workouts in the health app. Done the same when travelling to mitigate the time zone issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.