Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After a period of beta testing, Waze is now able to directly integrate with Apple CarPlay's multiscreen dashboard, as noted by users of the navigation app on the MacRumors forums.

Waze-Carplay-Interface.png

In addition to CarPlay Dashboard support, the update appears to introduce in-app lane guidance for the first time.

Before the introduction of Apple's CarPlay Dashboard, users were required to switch between app screens to view audio controls and other information while navigating to a destination. The dashboard lets users see a map, audio controls, and more in a convenient split-screen view.

The feature, which was introduced in iOS 13 and initially limited to Apple Maps, was expanded in iOS 13.4 to allow third-party app developers to add support for the dashboard mode in their respective navigation apps.

(Thanks, Marco!)

Article Link: Waze Integration With CarPlay Dashboard Goes Live

Last edited:

Kylo83

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2020
Someone plz tell me how this is better like I said it doesn’t show you everything like the main map does and it splits it into 2 images with just audio controls that every car has external controls to change track back and forward, I don’t get it

yngrshr

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2015
NJ
Cool all the updates coming to Carplay now. I recall my previous vehicle had it and it was very basic. I heard Microsoft Teams is coming to CarPlay too. Too bad Tesla doesn't give us this option to run it. Good anyway for all my friends here that have it in their cars.
I have to say that CarPlay is pretty fantastic. Agreed re: Tesla as well.

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
Someone plz tell me how this is better like I said it doesn’t show you everything like the main map does and it splits it into 2 images with just audio controls that every car has external controls to change track back and forward, I don’t get it

It’s better because what’s to the left and right is useless information, and with the map on the dashboard you don’t need to switch screens to navigate songs, open your garage door, etc.

And you know what else? You are NOT required to use it.

Last edited:

Kylo83

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2020
its better because what’s to the left and right is useless information, and you don’t need to switch screens to navigate songs, open your garage door, etc.

And you know what else? You are NOT required to use it.
But you can only change track back and forward and it’s better to do that on the steering wheel control, what’s the point of just making the map smaller with 2 pieces and not the whole view

Kylo83

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2020
Wish you could customise it so have easy call your favourites and anwser phone calls, now it’s hard switching to make calls then back to waze

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
But you can only change track back and forward and it’s better to do that on the steering wheel control, what’s the point of just making the map smaller with 2 pieces and not the whole view
I think the point is that you can see what’s playing from this view aside from just controlling it, which is not visible on the Waze or Apple maps screens.
likewise you get a calendar event preview when you have an upcoming event.

Kylo83

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2020
I think the point is that you can see what’s playing from this view aside from just controlling it, which is not visible on the Waze or Apple maps screens.
likewise you get a calendar event preview when you have an upcoming event.
Why do you need to see what’s playing you can hear it lol it would be useful to have call and hang up your favourites so you don’t need to switch out of the map but what you have now isn’t really helping

Kylo83

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2020
Like when I get a call it takes up the whole page and I have to click Waze they need to make it so you can anwser and hang up and still have the map on show the whole time

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2018
Around
So what’s the benefit of using dashboard so you can see the song your playing even tho you can hear it, it’s a downgrade doesn’t show you the proper map
I personally like it. I see enough of the map also, I’m fine with it. I don’t even use the voice turn by turn and I’m fine with it. It’s been like this since iOS 13 and you’re not talking about it?
I like that it show the song because I don’t remember every single song on my phone. I also have Apple Music, so I’ll play something new and I like to know what it is.

QT317

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2014
How do you select it to be used?
Its a bit unintuitive but you open a navigation app and then go back to the home screen (the 2x4 squares icon) and then it should change to an icon with one big square and smaller ones. tap that.
Or does your head unit not have change track buttons
having controls available to the passenger is a standard that has been set by the past 50+ years of automotive design. If you dont understand why that might be a good thing to keep around, i suggest you stop posting about why its 'bad'. its also entirely optional.
Like when I get a call it takes up the whole page and I have to click Waze they need to make it so you can anwser and hang up and still have the map on show the whole time
"hey Siri, call $persons_name"
So what’s the benefit of using dashboard so you can see the song your playing even tho you can hear it, it’s a downgrade doesn’t show you the proper map
Because you might be listening to a 'new music' suggestion playlist and you dont recognise the artist name and you want to know who the artist is? or perhaps the pause button? pause isnt an option on my controls on the steering wheel (and even with a Maestro IW steering wheel control system, its not a programmable feature)

and as everyone said, you do not have to use this view mode. you can switch between the classic view (full screen) and this view.

Carplay is still pretty young. I would expect it to keep getting updates for a while yet. I just installed a wireless carplay head unit and its fantastic, although I see a lot of dead screen space in some apps and would like more apps to be featured (eg. why is WhatsApp available but not messenger?)

The only real negative I have is that the humble volume knob is now an artifact. steering wheel controls encourage good driver behaviour but god damn it, when Metallicas Master of Puppets comes on it just calls for the almost-visceral action of cranking the volume knob to 11. buttons just dont cut it.

abhibeckert

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
Cairns, Australia
That screenshot is a perfect example of why Apple Maps is better than Waze or Google Maps.

Both upcoming turns are covered by street name labels. One of the labels is cropped so you can't even read the full name, and the second turn is way over at the edge of the screen at risk of being off the screen entirely if Cornwall Rd was slightly longer.

In Apple Maps the labels would be on the screen, they wouldn't be covering your route, and the map would be rotated to make sure as much of the upcoming route is visible as possible — especially in cases like this where you're doing two right turns back to back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.