Wearing a watch while typing on your MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NovemberWhiskey, May 30, 2009.

1. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

The MBP is such a beautiful machine made of aluminium, that I'd feel bad if I happened to scratch up the palm rests with my watch.

When I was trying out a machine in the store yesterday, I noticed I had to pay special attention to weather or not my watch (with a metal band) would scratch the palm rests.

Do any of you who wear watches with metal bands have issues with scratches/damage?

And no, I won't stop wearing a watch or switch to a band made of silk to accommodate the MBP.

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

No, I don't wear a watch or anything on my wrist. And I wouldn't on any machine I owned (Mac or PC).

3. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I wore my metal watch initially whilst using my old aluminium powerbook. It eventually left small puck marks and scratches so I'd probably advise against it. That said they're not too bad but if you want to keep your machine pristine I'd avoid it. If you don't want to take off your watch to type an alternative would be to get a moshi palmguard or equivalent product.

4. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

EDIT, woops .Andy and Eddyisgreat beat me to it. I should have refreshed the page before I posted. :eek:

Try the Moshi Palm Guard. Some people love it, some people hate it.

5. macjram macrumors 6502a

macjram

I have an Invisible Shield. And my family uses watches/bracelets and I wouldn't ask my mom to take them off so that she can use my laptop so the InvisibleShield really comes in handy =].

6. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Yeah the Invisibleshield works wonders. My mom types on her MBP with all kinds of jewelry and a watch on...wow is that thing scratched up.

The sad part is that it's my old MBP. :(

7. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

yeah i guess you guys need to take off your watches before typing on the beautiful aluminum MBs.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I use the Palmguard, but sometimes I take my watch off when I'm at home.

9. JCastro macrumors 6502a

I wear a watch with a metal buckle but I don't have any scratches or anything on my palm rest. I don't know what I would do if I started getting them. I don't like taking my watch off and I don't want to put a guard on my palm rest either. Hopefully it won't happen!

10. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

I don't wear a watch or anything on my wrists or fingers, having said that i still do have palm protection there.

11. dan5.5 macrumors 6502

definitely a must for people with watches!!! Great product. Cant even see it on the macbook!

12. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I type properly with my wrists off the palmrest, so it's not an issue for me.

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've owned my MBP since 2006 (although I think they're made from a different material now) but there are no scratches on the palmrest. I wear my watch all day, every day.

14. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

I take mine off or type with raised wrists to avoid scratches. 90% of use is clamshell with external keyboard. I baby this laptop like no other.....

15. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

I keep a screen cleaning cloth on the area where your wrists lay to prevent the scratching from my watch. Not one scratch though my "E" key looks bad.

16. Trivial rock macrumors regular

Trivial rock

Its a good point actually, I wrote my entire dissertation on my MBP and I wear a watch all day every day. Now although there were no scratches on the palm rest i found it was uncomfortable with a metal strap knocking on the MBP, so I would take mine off while typing.

17. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

18. Yairp macrumors newbie

I did one better and put my Tag Heuer on sale once I've decided to buy a MBP.

19. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

If the scratches are going to bother you, definitely get some kind of protective covering. The day I got this machine, I let someone try it out and she had metal buttons on her jacket so now I have fine scratches in the palm rests. I'm not the type to really care so not a big deal for me... but BE AWARE of how easy it is to scratch the surface.

20. Sirolway macrumors 6502

A watch? What's one of them? Didn't they go out with the ark a bit ...?
    Perhaps it's time to go 'write-naked' finally..

21. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

A Watch? Huh???

Seriously...
    I don't understand the appeal of having them any more!! We're not in the 1900's, are we? Yeah, some materialistic people might feel better cause they have this bit of "bling, bling" wrapped on their wrist but honestly.. is it really that useful?

Why?

Cause each and everyone of us has either has mobile phone, a electronic organiser of some kind, a digital music player, a pedometer, a heart rate monitor, a portable television, a dab radio or some other electronic gadget and all of them tells you the bleedin time!

Me, I stopped wearing a watches when I realised I had too many gadgets trying to tell me the time - it gets a little annoying!! Especially when you have a clock in the house that chimes every two seconds:eek::eek:

22. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Depends how I am sitting and what time of day it is; my form slags off as the day wears on. I have gotten into the habit of taking my DateJust off, though.

23. kolax macrumors G3

It has a metal tooth and rim though right?

My ideal watch would connect via bluetooth to my iPhone and tell me if I have any new messages, emails, missed calls (wee icons) as well as letting me skip song, previous song and pause. Oh and tell the time. But an actual analogue face.

24. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

The same reason I still wear cuff links.