Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Azygos85

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2014
I have a week 41 iPhone 7 plus and it has the hissing. It's not noticeable unless I put my ear up very close to the back and even then, it's not too bad. I can hear the white noise during a silent video though. It's bad at max volume :(.

Reactions: Duncanator

Jomppa

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2012
Don´t know which week and don´t care. But no hissing noice. pre ordered 9.9 and got this phone 27.9 so production week is either 1-2 weeks before.

fitgirl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2013
I have a week 41 iPhone 7 plus and it has the hissing. It's not noticeable unless I put my ear up very close to the back and even then, it's not too bad. I can hear the white noise during a silent video though. It's bad at max volume :(.[/
if you have to put it up to your ear to be able to hear to even notice it then that's ok but to hear white noise in video is fustrating, but ask yourself how many videos will you be doing in total silience, my phone is just like yours but I'm to afraid to try for better cause with apple you never know what your gonna get, one thing is for sure apple has got a lot of explaining to do.

Azygos85

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2014
if you have to put it up to your ear to be able to hear to even notice it then that's ok but to hear white noise in video is fustrating, but ask yourself how many videos will you be doing in total silience, my phone is just like yours but I'm to afraid to try for better cause with apple you never know what your gonna get, one thing is for sure apple has got a lot of explaining to do.

Maybe they will officially release a statement....

fitgirl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2013
I litteally hear nothing unless my phone is glued to my ear but other then that it's fine, I didn't even know this issue existed till I came on the fourm lol

Reactions: Thor_1

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Just picked up my Sim-Free Model Black 256 GB today. It is Week 41 and No hissing to be heard at all. Same goes for my Jet Black (though it's week 39 for that one).

xemprah

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2016
Just picked up my Sim-Free Model Black 256 GB today. It is Week 41 and No hissing to be heard at all. Same goes for my Jet Black (though it's week 39 for that one).

What about white noise issues when recording in quiet areas?

2macORnot2mac

macrumors regular
May 14, 2010
Those that say they have no white noise or hissing noise, I wonder if it's true or if they're not sure what they're listening for. No disrespect meant, I hope it's true. I'm waiting on Apple to decide if theyre going to send me my 3rd phone. This has been disappointing. I've had about every phone starting with the first, and have never returned or exchanged one until now.

fitgirl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2013
No white noises either~ Just perfect.
I'm getting confused with he white noise, when I record a video in a quite room and then play it back i do hear a mild hissing sound but i think that sound is normal cause my iPhone 6 did that, is the hissing noise that ppl are complaining about really loud and can they be heard without the phone being held up super close to the ear? I never even knew about this till I read it here so i held the phone close to my ear like litterally glued to my ear and that was the only way I was able to hear it, so would that mean it's ok? i just want to know what the severity of the noise is for the ppl who are having this issue.

Last edited:

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I've got a week 41 JB black 256, ran 3D mark multiple times , even with ear to the back, almost silent. Had a launch day matte black, hissing was quite loud.
[doublepost=1476763537][/doublepost]
Those that say they have no white noise or hissing noise, I wonder if it's true or if they're not sure what they're listening for. No disrespect meant, I hope it's true. I'm waiting on Apple to decide if theyre going to send me my 3rd phone. This has been disappointing. I've had about every phone starting with the first, and have never returned or exchanged one until now.

All phones will have some sort of noise made by the CPU when pushed. My 6S had a feint ticking sound, my 7 plus matte black was quite loud , my week 41 is quiter than my 6S, which I consider excellent.

People who say they cannot hear a thing at all.....may have different hearing thresholds. Some noise will be made when a cpu is stressed .

2macORnot2mac

macrumors regular
May 14, 2010
I've got a week 41 JB black 256, ran 3D mark multiple times , even with ear to the back, almost silent. Had a launch day matte black, hissing was quite loud.

All phones will have some sort of noise made by the CPU when pushed. My 6S had a feint ticking sound, my 7 plus matte black was quite loud , my week 41 is quiter than my 6S, which I consider excellent.

People who say they cannot hear a thing at all.....may have different hearing thresholds. Some noise will be made when a cpu is stressed .

My biggest complaint is I hear it when recording video.

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas

Why is it if someone can't hear a thing have something wrong with them. Maybe, just maybe some of these phones DON'T make noise.

Reactions: Gathomblipoob

Azygos85

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2014
I just took a video of the TV playing in my room and I can still hear the hissing noise and it's quite distracting. I need to get this phone exchanged.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
My biggest complaint is I hear it when recording video.

I will have to try it.
[doublepost=1476771484][/doublepost]
Why is it if someone can't hear a thing have something wrong with them. Maybe, just maybe some of these phones DON'T make noise.

Only speaking from experience. I tested 15 devices at home from a wide range of manafacurers and all made some noise.

Also nothing wrong with people. I said we all have different hearing thresholds , hearing is subjective person to person.

If your phone is 100% silent congrats. I've never owned a 100% silent iPhone , and I've just tested each generation I've got at home as I keep my old devices .

Just google CPU noise, it's explained

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.