Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cape Dave

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
You are the only person reporting this… seems unlikely to be a “MASSIVE issue for Apple” 😂😂
Wrong. He is the only person, as far as we know, reporting it in this thread. Also, he could simply be the FIRST person reporting it, with deluge to come. Plenty of time for it to go nowhere, or become the worst problem Apple has ever known.

erkanasu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
AGREE! someone has hindsight 🤣
lol no licking
Wrong. He is the only person, as far as we know, reporting it in this thread. Also, he could simply be the FIRST person reporting it, with deluge to come. Plenty of time for it to go nowhere, or become the worst problem Apple has ever known.
amen and thank you for your open mind

erkanasu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
here is another way to describe the sensation - it's like subtly tasting beach sand or grainy dry dirt...lol so freaking weird.

after using my 15" air for ~1 hr with no issues,

went to the silver 13" m3 and tasted it again within ~1 minute, confirmed I CAN reproduce it on a silver m3! 🤯

Last edited:

SamRyouji

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2016
Is that sensation came at the "first time" moment (using it right away after unboxing)? I got what you mean here, because apparently some people are far more sensitive than most people in the world. As for me, the most extreme was a strong metallic smell of using any brand new unboxed metal gadgets. But I know 2 of my friends who has the same feel as you.

Bottom line, if that's a prolonged issue, talk with your doctor. If that stays for only a couple of days, no need to worry. It's just that you are born that way, a bit different compared to the rest of population.

Reactions: orbital~debris

jchap

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009
OK, this is gonna sound crazy, but after using my 13 inch MacBook Air, M3 in 'midnight' for 10 minutes or longer, I begin to notice a weird taste in my mouth, slightly grainy and metallic. I can't tell if I might be inhaling some fumes from it, or I am absorbing some chemicals from the finish through my hands (midnight w/ anodization). I have other MacBooks in the house (none in this finish or generation), and have never experienced this before.

I have also reproduce this by stopping use and re-starting on and off, and the taste immediately comes back!

thoughts? am I alone? LOL
I've read all the replies to this so far, and I don't think anyone has asked you about ventilation. How well-ventilated is the room or space in which you're using the unit? I don't suppose this has much to do with the "taste" occurring when you come into physical contact with the unit, but I wonder if leaving the unit in a well-ventilated place for a spell will help dissipate any vapors from shorter-life chemicals applied to the MacBook Air M3 in manufacturing?

Last edited:
Reactions: Cape Dave

ForkHandles

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2012
OK, this is gonna sound crazy, but after using my 13 inch MacBook Air, M3 in 'midnight' for 10 minutes or longer, I begin to notice a weird taste in my mouth, slightly grainy and metallic. I can't tell if I might be inhaling some fumes from it, or I am absorbing some chemicals from the finish through my hands (midnight w/ anodization). I have other MacBooks in the house (none in this finish or generation), and have never experienced this before.

I have also reproduce this by stopping use and re-starting on and off, and the taste immediately comes back!

thoughts? am I alone? LOL
I have a different but similar thing. If someone makes me a coffee with water that is boiled twice I can’t drink it. It changes the taste of the water to something metallic.

It took me thirty three years to find some one who had the same aversion. Until that point no one would believe me.

Maybe you just have a super sense on this one!

droidgod

macrumors member
May 19, 2015
I think this is an extremely good case for a Class Action Law Suit!

This is why Apple are doomed! They gonna turn people metallic from the outside in!

/s (incase that wasn't obvious)

• Haha
Reactions: EmotionalSnow

Aiii83

macrumors member
May 13, 2021
If you’re still in the return window, maybe try and return it for the regular space gray version instead, see if it changes things?

AMantheGreat82

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2021
Well ok. That's an aluminum alloy with some interstitial elements that are toxic on their own but encased in the rest of the alloy matrix, AND it's anodized and dyed. So when you're touching it, you're not really touching the aluminum alloy, you're just touching the oxide layer. The oxide layer is very hard, even brittle, as it resembles a porous foam that hardened as it formed, and since it formed being dipped in a vat of dye, the dye colors the inside of the little foamy bubbles, and now as light shines through those hard bubbles, it reflects the color of that dye. Sure, your skin can absorb aluminum oxide if it's loose and small enough in particles for your skins pores to take in. And dye could be absorbed if it were free to "leak" out of those bubbles. But Apple's not using Bright Dip anodizing, so in this case its not really sitting in those bubbles wet, it just coated the inside of the bubbles as they were forming. In either case, if by some strange twist in the universe your oxide layer just decided to self destruct into a powder small enough for your skin to absorb it or the dye, but also cling to itself and not fall off until you touched it, you'd immediately feel a loose powdery substance on your laptop, see it streaky wherever you touched it, and see your fingerprints where it took the dyed cells from the surface. And you'd see blue dyed oxide powder on your fingertips.

That said, hospitals see people all the time that develop allergic reactions to some random thing when the body's immune system just doesn't recognize it and decides to play it safe & treat it like a poison. Sometimes just materials, sometimes medicines, sometimes parts of our own bodies. Out of 8 billion human bodies, you can't expect every last one to get every reaction right. If watching 4000 episodes of House have taught me anything, go see a doctor that acts like Sherlock Holmes and humiliate him into giving you a diagnosis.
House is exactly where my mind went. First episode of a new series.lol

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
here is another way to describe the sensation - it's like subtly tasting beach sand or grainy dry dirt...lol so freaking weird.

after using my 15" air for ~1 hr with no issues,

went to the silver 13" m3 and tasted it again within ~1 minute, confirmed I CAN reproduce it on a silver m3! 🤯

I hope you can get to the bottom of this and it turns out to be something very simple and innocuous, however any type of unusual or unexplained neurological symptoms should be discussed with a doctor and, if necessary, investigated further.
All the best.

Reactions: GrenadeOconnor
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.