Well Chris Pirillo Absolutely Roasts the X's UI

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dallas112678, Sep 13, 2017.

1. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

I'm not gonna bash others for wanting them. If that makes them feel good, so be it...but yeah, that is perma turd.

2. Tom8 macrumors 6502a

Not sure how a questionable UI design is analogous with a device which spontaneously explodes.

3. Polaroid macrumors 6502a

Why remove bezels to add software bezels lmao.

4. jamesrick80 Suspended

jamesrick80

Because no matter what everyone who bought it was somehow affected.

5. jon3543 macrumors 6502

Oh come on. As much as I think the notch is horrible, I can't believe that scrolling animation (complete with fake cursor) is real.

6. tintifax3k macrumors member

tintifax3k

in some early hands-on impressions somebody (i think it was MKBHD on Youtube) said that there is no Landscape Mode on the X. So that might render this moot. I guess it will be re-introduced next year on the X Plus.

7. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

While I actually really like that and prefer that look over what Apple has done, maybe they were afraid of burn in if they did it that way?

Either way, it doesn't bother me one way or the other.

8. zhandri macrumors 6502

i suppose it's all about branding. make that notch visible to be different than other manufacturers so people can tell that it's an iphone by just seeing the notch

9. Mildredop macrumors 68020

I genuinely think it was a case of Samsung got there first. Apple said their goal has always been to have an edge-to-edge screen and it's Samsung that managed it. Apple are even buying the OLED panels from Samsung for the iPhone X.

If Apple had gone with the better looking right-hand design, they'd have been accused of copying Samsung or it looking too Android-like. I think they made the decision to embrace the notch to keep the iPhone looking different.

10. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

It's gonna sell. It's Apple aka the most powerful brand in the world. Hell they've recycled the iPhone 6 design for a few years now and each year those phones still sell like hotcakes

11. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Why do they need the spacing on the bottom on the right side? Couldn't they fully extend that and just cut the top off?

12. Azzurro macrumors regular

13. Absrnd, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017

Absrnd macrumors regular

Absrnd

We all know that hate video's are getting more popular then boring video's telling the same amazing things over and over again, in those hands-on vids.
    and now even faking a UI vid is normal, and is believed by many.

I just know that most notch-haters just can't afford the X, they need confirmation for their hate, and that's fine, venting your frustration because of this is a bit immature,
    lets see what happens when the X is released in Nov, I predict it's going to be a very popular model, and maybe the most popular :rolleyes:

But I think in Nov we'll be up to our ears with bending, dropping and drowning vids of the X :)

14. Ralfi, Sep 14, 2017

Ralfi macrumors 6502

Ralfi

He should've done the video with the turd Animoji. :D

That's some extreme opinion. Wouldn't expect anything less following a contentious Apple product launch.

Wait, let's say his only gripe was addressed by Apple & the notch didn't encroach on photos, video, games etc. The aspect ratio would still be off with screen content cropped, & you'd need to then double tap to un-crop & still have a black border around the content.

It'd make no big difference to the current situation due to the physical width of the X?

15. deany, Sep 14, 2017

deany macrumors 68020

deany

The three main competitors (I'm sure there is more)

• Samsung Galaxy S8
    • Samsung Note 10
    • Xiaomi Mi Mix 2

all three are far far more attractive than X.
    As previously mentioned because of cost "its the £1000 phone" and the hideous "notch" I think iPhone X will only make up a small % of iPhone sales.

By all accounts the Huawei Mate 10 launch 16 Oct will join the three above.

16. Puonti macrumors 6502a

It's not - Apple's Human Interface Guidelines for the iPhone X explicity indicate safe content space and call for developers to not embellish or call attention to the home indicator or the sensor housing.

In simple terms content should not flow around these things.

17. yegon, Sep 14, 2017

yegon macrumors 68020

I don't like the notch but I'll live with it. Looks lousy in landscape, but I only ever use it that way for video and viewing photos.

I love Apple stuff, but as above, had Samsung/other done this the Apple Defense Force would have gone nuclear. The flat tire Moto 360 smart watch is a perfect example. John Gruber, who I know longer follow, laughed his socks off at the flat tire. I'm sure he loves the notch as it's from Apple, pfft.

This Pirillo guy loses points for the tired old "what Steve would have done" thing though. Sick of hearing that, good grief. If everyone knew what Steve would have done, how come no one has replicated his brilliance in the same or different field?

18. danilko1 macrumors 6502a

danilko1

I don't like the notch, however I am willing to give it a try. Like he said, it can be masked out by software. It still leaves a usable area for time, and signal - just something to consider.

I think aesthetically, it's the best Apple can do, or anyone for that matter who are trying for a corner to corner, edge to edge display. I do think with a symmetric mask, the iPhone will look like it's following Samsung. For that matter alone, the notch is a differentiator. (Embrace the notch, lol) The other full screen phones out there, also have a notch, with the finger print reader on the back. I think those look even more ugly. You will never get rid of the notch until you can integrate all of the camera's emitters and sensors into the display, or behind the display. I don't see this happening any time soon.

Chris Pirillo, is just being a jerk on this... Going overboard for a bad situation. There are three models this time. Buy the one you like, not the one that you don't.

19. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

The notch was just completely unnecessary to achieve an E2E "bezel-less" effect. If you look at the S8, they really nailed how to make an impressive display. The curved sides make content blend seamlessly into your environment. It would have been amazing if Apple could have done that with the top and bottom, or maybe even every edge.

I'm thinking Samsung wouldn't let Apple do the same, and Appel had to reach for something to make their own mark. But by doing so, they gave up so much.

20. craigio85 macrumors regular

People really need to get over the idea that anybody criticising the X can't afford it. Yeah, some can't, but they also can't afford the 8 or any other newly launched iPhone.

I do not like the awkward, clumsy design. I do not want the iPhone X. I have enough savings to buy fifty of them. But I do not want one.

21. Absrnd macrumors regular

Absrnd

Edited it for your pleasure ;)

22. deany macrumors 68020

deany

Even Tim, Phil and Craig were not on the top of their game on Tuesday.
    Argument that they were still shocked by the leak that will have rocked apple inc
    But also a strong argument that the less than normal enthusiasm for iPhone launch was a lack of belief for the product.
    I think they should have delayed X till early next year rather than throw out a compromise.
    Their touching distance from 100% display, CEO at Xiaomi pretty much said this on Monday.

23. Absrnd macrumors regular

Absrnd

I think you right, and it had nothing to do with the emotional remembrance of Jobs at the beginning, and Tim wiping a tear from his eye, and even less of the gathering they probably had back stage for that same reason :)

24. x-evil-x, Sep 14, 2017

x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

im really hoping this phone is jailbreakable and has some good developers address some of these issues.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 14, 2017 ---
    its better designed as humans tend to focus on things that stand out like the notch. they can expand the bottom part without that bar too I hope its not always there. the notch should not be in everything I 100% agree.
    Maybe an update down the years who knows.

25. deany macrumors 68020

deany

Not certain what you mean, but Tuesday should have been a celebration. There were also many empty seats. It ended up being somewhat of a damp squib.