Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jazper

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Even Tim, Phil and Craig were not on the top of their game on Tuesday.
Argument that they were still shocked by the leak that will have rocked apple inc
But also a strong argument that the less than normal enthusiasm for iPhone launch was a lack of belief for the product.
I think they should have delayed X till early next year rather than throw out a compromise.
Their touching distance from 100% display, CEO at Xiaomi pretty much said this on Monday.

It would have been worse if they had just released the 8 since it barely has any upgrades over the 7

Reactions: jeremiah256

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
It would have been worse if they had just released the 8 since it barely has any upgrades over the 7

Agreed! People would have been screaming "Where's the new 10th anniversary edition!" What's with calling it 8 instead of 7S/7S+. Is it because Samsung has the S8?

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
Not certain what you mean, but Tuesday should have been a celebration. There were also many empty seats. It ended up being somewhat of a damp squib.

Yeah, It looked empty.

y5D27tG.jpg

And this probably was a drop of sweat, knowing they F**d up with the "notch" :oops:

Tim-Cook-Tears.jpg

Last edited:

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Not a fan of the notch, but here's the silver lining - less of this:

"My new iPhone had ONE dark pixel. Forced to return it SEVEN times to get a good one".

Can't imagine they'll go anywhere near an iPhone X ;)

Reactions: jerry16

LOVIN SOUL GLO

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2013
Ontario
Makes some decent points but not sure how he can claim the User Experience is going to be a dumpster fire without actually having been a user of this phone. Comparing that to drinking piss makes his points even less relevant.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I usually don't watch this guy because his voice totally irritates me, but he's absolutely right about the ugly perma-notch. Design decisions at Apple are questionable.

DJornobUMAE_x6Q.jpg

I find this very interesting as with an OLED screen apple easily could have hidden the notch and still given the phone a very cool look. I'm sure they debated this for a while. My only guess is that they really wanted to show a more bezel-less phone with the screen filling all 4 rounded corners, with the same radii that have always defined the shape of the iPhone. Even if that means a notch is always present.

Plus, going with the hidden notch gives the effect of a small bezel on the top and bottom and smaller radii for the screen corners, resulting in a much more samsung/LG looking phone.

Reactions: willmtaylor

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Just start at 17:00 and watch for 4-5 minutes where he's showing examples of how things will look. The rest of the video is mostly ranting, but that 5 minute timeframe makes the experience seem really horrible.
The guy has some great insights at times, but for me can be arrogant and grating.

I agree wholeheartedly with his examples though :)

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
Speculation. Some are surmising the X don’t do landscape mode. We’ll see.

I'm sure it will, considering that Apple's Human Interface Guidelines specify how landscape applications should work.

And it's nothing like that strange animation someone cooked up.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Even Tim, Phil and Craig were not on the top of their game on Tuesday.
Argument that they were still shocked by the leak that will have rocked apple inc
But also a strong argument that the less than normal enthusiasm for iPhone launch was a lack of belief for the product.
I think they should have delayed X till early next year rather than throw out a compromise.
Their touching distance from 100% display, CEO at Xiaomi pretty much said this on Monday.
I don't want to go off topic but something was strange about their presentation..they stumbled a lot and it felt werid.

Reactions: dontworry and deany

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It's a new device, they'll make refinements over time. I'm waiting for next year's model
Hopefully, but something as glaring as this, is both surprising and disappointing. I've already stated, it doesn't bother me too much but seeing the video and seeing the complaints here, I have to agree with the sentiment.

Its very unApple like to roll something out that isn't a polished product. The first example given in the video (around the 17 minute mark) shows how it could have looked and totally masked the front facing cameras.

Gone are the days that Jobs or another executive would pull our a jewelers loupe and examine each pixel placement.

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
PermaTurd is hilarious. He is right. LMAO. If Samsung did this...iFans will have never let up. Just like y'all did with the Note 7 battery issue and the constant jokes. That notch is just lol.

View attachment 717588

You do know it doesn't do that right? Posting that stupid gif makes people think its actually like that.

All content is suppose to be inset into the safe area of the display. So something like that won't happen. The notch is suppose to be ignored so when you inset and say a line for a table would just flow under the notch.

Reactions: 5105973

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
He's not wrong, you just can't defend it, I really think this phone is going to flop, it's gathering to much controversy and hate and will end up not being cool to own and therefore not sell, it's what everybody is thinking that knows or appreciates good hardware and software.
Lol I'm sorry but no

It's going to be the most successful phone of the year like every year

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Hopefully, but something as glaring as this, is both surprising and disappointing. I've already stated, it doesn't bother me too much but seeing the video and seeing the complaints here, I have to agree with the sentiment.

Its very unApple like to roll something out that isn't a polished product. The first example given in the video (around the 17 minute mark) shows how it could have looked and totally masked the front facing cameras.

Gone are the days that Jobs or another executive would pull our a jewelers loupe and examine each pixel placement.

I truly think that while that would have worked quite easily with an OLED screen, Apple wanted a more unique look, including the visible notch. Otherwise it would look like a Samsung or LG:

iphone-x-vs-galaxy-s8-vs-lg-v3-01-750x507.jpg

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY

I said a few months ago they should delay this phone. From airpower not being ready, to touch id under the screen not being ready, it just felt really rushed.

But their stock would've plummeted

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.