Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which 8GB RAM Did You Buy?

• GSKILL 10600

Votes: 14 8.9%
  • GSKILL 10666

Votes: 24 15.2%
  • Crucial 10600

Votes: 57 36.1%
  • Other

Votes: 63 39.9%

• Total voters

mediasorcerer

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2010
All RAM really isn't the same no matter what some people state.

What is with the selection of choices in this poll? Not all of us just go cheap!!

man i agree,exactly,like all ssd,s are not the same,mostly,u pay for wat u get,[mostly],

but some think otherwise,as u say,however,after researching it,i agree with you. cant believe folks buy a premium laptop,and put cheap ram in?like 20$ more for oem?come on.

ztrafe

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2010
Sweden
I am waiting for CL7 :cool: or mayby going for 1067 MHZ 8GB. Better price. Lower CL timing. CL9 is a bit high. Maybe the extra mhz is wort it, I dont know.

Last edited:

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
man i agree,exactly,like all ssd,s are not the same,mostly,u pay for wat u get,[mostly],

but some think otherwise,as u say,however,after researching it,i agree with you. cant believe folks buy a premium laptop,and put cheap ram in?like 20$ more for oem?come on.

So price = quality? If I buy Kingston ram for $69 it is crappier than Kingston ram if I paid $120?

Last edited:

KKman21

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2011
I bought 2x4 GB of Kinngston memmory, and I am really happy.

90$, I think it is not very expensive.

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
I want to wait a bit longer to see how 2x8 GB prices come down.

But if 2x4 GB prices hit $60 I'll just buy that upgrade in the interim.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
I bought 2x4 GB of Kinngston memmory, and I am really happy.

90$, I think it is not very expensive.

I think you should have shopped around and paid more for it, then it would have been better Kingston memory. :D BTW, I paid $69 for my 8gb of Kingston ram after rebate, it must really be crap, I hope my MBP doesn't blow up or worse, I hope Steve Jobs himself doesn't come and take it away from me because I don't respect it enough! :D:p

KKman21

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2011
I think you should have shopped around and paid more for it, then it would have been better Kingston memory. :D BTW, I paid $69 for my 8gb of Kingston ram after rebate, it must really be crap, I hope my MBP doesn't blow up or worse, I hope Steve Jobs himself doesn't come and take it away from me because I don't respect it enough! :D:p

I know it, but I like the risk :D

themac23

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2011

The point is not spending more for the same RAM, and you know this. You are just being hard to deal with. The point is for $20 more you can have the factory inserted OEM Samsung RAM. Why wouldn't someone want that? There is a reason why Apple chooses the RAM they do, and I am sure it's not because it costs more to them.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
The point is not spending more for the same RAM, and you know this. You are just being hard to deal with. The point is for $20 more you can have the factory inserted OEM Samsung RAM. Why wouldn't someone want that? There is a reason why Apple chooses the RAM they do, and I am sure it's not because it costs more to them.

No I am not being hard to deal with at all, I am trying to make a point same as you. Apple charges $200 for an 8gb upgrade to the Macbook Pro, OWC charges $114.99, I'd call that more than $20 and OWC is not known to be the cheapest around, so the difference is more than $20, more like $100.

The reason Apple charges more is because they have more costs to BTO a special machine for the upgrade and they have to warranty that memory, it doesn't cost them $200 more for that ram, there is significant profit there. My point is, price doesn't dictate value or quality. Apples $200 ram doesn't mean it is better than OWC $114 ram.

For some people not having to deal with opening a computer is worth it, for others saving $100 is worth more, but the price has nothing to do with the quality, be it OEM or aftermarket.

themac23

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2011
I am sorry, but I guess you are slow. I will spell it out for you. Apple is using Samsung memory which OWC charges $140 for. You can buy that same Samsung RAM from datamemorysystems.com for $110. That is $20 more than the usual $90 or so most people pay for cheap RAM and you are getting the exact same RAM that Apple uses.

Do you understand now?

Not one person in this thread has stated to buy the RAM from Apple, but a few, including me, have stated that buying the cheapest RAM on the market isn't always a smart thing to do when you can get the same RAM Apple uses for not much more.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
I am sorry, but I guess you are slow. I will spell it out for you. Apple is using Samsung memory which OWC charges $140 for. You can buy that same Samsung RAM from datamemorysystems.com for $110. That is $20 more than the usual $90 or so most people pay for cheap RAM and you are getting the exact same RAM that Apple uses.

Do you understand now?

Not one person in this thread has stated to buy the RAM from Apple, but a few, including me, have stated that buying the cheapest RAM on the market isn't always a smart thing to do when you can get the same RAM Apple uses for not much more.

Be a jerk if you want, I am just saying brand and price aren't the only factors period. Samsung, Apple or whatever.

Maybe there is a "my laptop is hot" thread you wish to call people stupid on somewhere.

themac23

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2011
Be a jerk if you want, I am just saying brand and price aren't the only factors period. Samsung, Apple or whatever.

Maybe there is a "my laptop is hot" thread you wish to call people stupid on somewhere.

Typical response when common sense finally sets in and realizes you can buy high quality ram for about the same price as the cheapest stuff being polled upon in this very thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.