Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
USA
THIS IS A WIKIPOST- Please add the apps you use on tiger to the list below!

On behalf of @gavinstubbs09 and the rest of the PowerPC Archive Team, we're looking for apps that we can add to the Tiger section of the Archive. As anyone who has visited the website in search of software, most of it is meant for Leopard, leaving those in search of apps for their Tiger installs in the dust. The Tiger section concept has sat idle while larger projects (like the El Cap/Sierra theme, truck repairs, and MDD and Quad woes) have taken up much of Gavin's time. However, I'm now taking control of the Tiger Section project. I'm going to try and jump-starting it by seeing what everyone here uses. So shoot me some software suggestions!

Tiger App List:
- *GeekBench 2.2.0
- OpenMark
- TenFourFox
- Camino
- VLC
- Spotify
- BitTorrent
- F.Lux
- CoconutBattery
- iScroll
- Skype (Requires Hack)
- Colloquy
- Adium
- Transmission / Transmission-qt 2.84
- *The Unarchiver
- UnRarX
- LineIn
- Purge
- Monolingual
- *CorePlayer
- Q
- Remote Desktop
- Spark
- Disk Eject
- FastIcns
- Application Enhancer
- Dropbox (requires hack)
- OpenOffice
- LibreOffice
- iWork (Cannot be added due to legal concerns)
- Microsoft Office (cannot be added due to legal concerns)
- Adobe Creative Suite (Cannot be added due to legal concerns)
- Bean
- NeoOffice
- Audacity
- CamTwist
- Minecraft (requires workaround)
- ReallySlick Screensaver
- iOS 7 Screensaver
- ShapeShifter
- CandyBar
- *XPostFacto (Allows many unsupported macs to run Tiger)
- *Onyx
- *RealplayerSP
- *PPC Media Center
- *Omniweb
- *Text Wrangler
- *Lynxlet
- *MPEG Streamclip
- *Mplayer
- *XBMC
- *Virtual PC
- *Teleport
- *Carbon Copy Cloner
- *GraphicConverter
- *X-Chat Aqua 0.16.0
- *Songbird
- *Coda 1.7.5 (non-free)
- *Transmit 3.7 (non-free)
- *Sigma Chess 6.2.1 (chess program - free)
- *Vektor 3.2.2 (chess .pgn reader)
- *Seashore (Open-Source)
- *NetNewsWire 3.1.7
- *Disco (now free)
- *Chicken (previously chicken of the VNC)
- *PPC Media Center
- Plex
- *Mozilla Thunderbird 3.1.20

* Indicates software that is not on the Archive

Last edited:

iModFrenzy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2015
Kamino
For the ones that cannot be added, put links instead to the place they can be bought or downloaded legally. Like for Adobe CS3, CS4,etc, all the dmgs are downloadable on Adobes site. I think the only exception is CS2(redirects you to login) because the servers are broken.

Is there a game section?
-Star Wars Battlefront
-Wolfenstein:RTC
-Call of Duty 1/UO, not sure about 2?
-Quake 2
-Halo CE
-Red Faction

I've played all of these so far on Tiger just fine on my PB G4 1.25

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2016
I think the only exception is CS2(redirects you to login) because the servers are broken.
CS2 can be obtained from Adobe's site, it has no serial check due to the fact they took the serial checking server for CS2 down, so people who purchased it can still download it. That said, there's the false idea that it's a free for all, since anyone can download and use it due to the fact this edited version doesn't check for a serial. This is not true, it is illegal to download CS2 without having a license.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
USA
For the ones that cannot be added, put links instead to the place they can be bought or downloaded legally. Like for Adobe CS3, CS4,etc, all the dmgs are downloadable on Adobes site. I think the only exception is CS2(redirects you to login) because the servers are broken.

Is there a game section?
-Star Wars Battlefront
-Wolfenstein:RTC
-Call of Duty 1/UO, not sure about 2?
-Quake 2
-Halo CE
-Red Faction

I've played all of these so far on Tiger just fine on my PB G4 1.25

I will ask @gavinstubbs09's opinion about including links (there used to be a shareware section on the Archive that has since been deprecated, so it shouldn't be a problem). Also, there is a games section on the Archive but its in horrible dismay with most of the links broken or nonexistent. We can redo the Games section and include your recommendations as well.

beanboy89

macrumors regular
May 5, 2016
Pennsylvania
I basically only use my PowerBookG4, which runs Tiger, as a really fancy netbook when I'm around the house. For the most part, I only ever use three apps: TenFourFox 38.9.0 as my web browser, X-Chat Aqua 0.16.0 as an IRC client, and Songbird 1.9.0 as my music player. I have Photoshop CS2 installed, but rarely use it.

ratsg

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2010
CS2 can be obtained from Adobe's site, it has no serial check due to the fact they took the serial checking server for CS2 down, so people who purchased it can still download it. That said, there's the false idea that it's a free for all, since anyone can download and use it due to the fact this edited version doesn't check for a serial. This is not true, it is illegal to download CS2 without having a license.

Back pedaling here. You are absolutely correct that Adobe only intended CS2 to be downloaded by people who legally owned a copy.

Adobe did, for a short time, publish a list of functional CS2 serial numbers that would work, now that the CS2 license servers were taken off line.

Last edited:

akator

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2016
MacMAME. It may be "obsolete," but with the correct ROMs it still emulates thousands of classic arcade games. I have it on all of my PPCs and it increases their use, even if it's only a "drive by" of 15 minutes of Galaga a few times a week.

Reactions: ratsg

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
MacMAME. It may be "obsolete," but with the correct ROMs it still emulates thousands of classic arcade games. I have it on all of my PPCs and it increases their use, even if it's only a "drive by" of 15 minutes of Galaga a few times a week.

Mame OS X is also a good, albeit "obsolete" emulator that is quite a few versions ahead of the final MacMAME version (MAME OS X final is 0.145 IIRC). It's not as fast as MacMAME on older PPC machines, but runs great on the later machines- especially G5s. It's great for the hard drive games that MAME now supports.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
I found a partially complete page for Tiger Software on the website. Most of the pages are blank, and some aren't even clickable. Maybe you should take this down until it's complete. ;)

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Here's my configuration...
TigerApps.png

Concerning the Apps, here's my ranking:

Productivity:
- MS Office'04 much faster than '08 (I working with 97-03 files throughout all machines - alternatively OpenXML Converter, if only Office'04 is installed)
- Inspiration 8: a bit old fashioned looking app for mindmapping, outlines etc. Very easy to use. Syncs with PalmOS-companion.
- Skim to edit PDF, PDFPenPro to drag&drop signatur&stamp to any PDF
- CombinePDFs/iCombiner: throw in PDFs or images to create a new PDF
- PageSener Fax Center: Group-Fax (my favourite fax-machine)
- DEVONthinkpro: searchable archive for all my informations. includes unobstrusive (Batch)OCR for PDFs
- MacJournal: syncs with iOS-App (no sync of attachments!). great link between PPC-iOS-intel Macs
- TaskPaper1: syncs with iOS-App as long as the PPC-Dropbox-App is working
- RDP/ScreenSharing: MS-RemoteDesktop, Chicken, TeamViewer7
- Goliath: for webDAV (function also included with OS "GoTo/Connect with Server")
- Scanning: up to CanoScanLide210 or Fujitsu ScanSnap1500

Entertainment:
- Radio via iTunes
- Audio Hijack Pro record Audio from any source
- eyeTV: to stream videos from my eyeTV-collection (also for watching/record TV with USB-equipment)
- LineIn: play audio from the connected LineIn-source (also to record with HijackPro from attached sources)

Last edited:
Reactions: pullman

hartleymartin

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2016
Sydney, Australia
2003 PowerMac G5 (7,2) 2.0GHz Dual-Processors with a few upgrades and customisations.

Apps:

TenFourFox 38 (downloading 45 now)
LibreOffice 4.0.6.2
QuickTime Player 7.6.4
DVD Player
Classic Environment

Games:

Age of Empires
Age of Empires II Gold Edition
Daria's Inferno

More games as time goes on. At the moment I am having trouble finding SimCity 2000 for Mac (I was sure that there was an OS9 version some time in the past!)

The computer is primarily a gaming rig, but it is surprisingly still useful as a general-purpose computer.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
The attached file is a screenshot of my TenFourFox window. I easily found the Tiger page. It this intentional, or is it a mistake that's about to be taken down?

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    481.4 KB · Views: 1,202

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
USA
The attached file is a screenshot of my TenFourFox window. I easily found the Tiger page. It this intentional, or is it a mistake that's about to be taken down?
That's where once this is finalized, the software can be downloaded from

It's essentially a placeholder for now back when the idea was first brought up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.