What are the chances will bring back the 17" MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sparkie7, Jun 29, 2013.

1. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

One large thread in the apple discussions forum (or multiple threads here at MacRumors) does not equate to a large demand.

I've said this before, if apple was making a decent profit on the 17" laptop they'd not discontinue it. The fact is they were not happy with the return and decided to kill it off.

That doesn't mean there are not people clamoring for this form factor but the simple fact is apple decided to stop the 17" for a reason. I don't have a crystal ball but I think the odds of seeing the 17" return are very very slim.

3. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

And if anything, I'd say you're greatly overstating the odds. ;)

And while the thread is largish, 136 replies over the span of a year isn't that much - especially as I suspect many of those replies are the same as they'd be here - explanations of why there won't be a new 17 inch MBA

4. Hildegerd macrumors regular

Hildegerd

You guys are so negative.
    The 17" was not for the ordinary consumer, but for the prosumer and for us that wanted a larger screen.

5. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Exactly. They were made for Pros. As in Macbook Pro. Get it? :D

6. maxosx macrumors 68020

I doubt there's any chance. Apple has moved into the business of ultra high volume retail consumer electronics, where they can make higher profits from mobile devices. A 17" laptop won't sell in the vast quantities Apple seeks.

It's too bad too. I've used their 17" models since day one and they're fantastic.

7. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

As far as i remember the 17" where just as good as the 15", just bigger.

If Apple wants to bring the 17" back, it has to be because they have something to offer over the 15", wether thats sli / crossfire, better CPU or more storage or a portable desktop replacement. Otherwise i just think they will keep the 15".

i know a lot of people, including myself who would want a 17" desktop replacement that is cabable of running high-end games and applications, where it is both user upgradeable and has the Apple style to it.

But the chances of that ever happening is insanely low.

8. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

17" will not come back

a laptop is a portable computer.

the 17" is to big to be considered a convinant portable computer

want a bigger screen? attach external display

9. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

I'd say the chances of :apple: bringing back the 17" MBP are better than the chances of them bringing back the Xserve ;)

10. Doward macrumors 6502a

Yeah, that makes sense. Carrying around an external display and a 15" MBP makes WAY more sense than toting around a 17" MBP.

/s. In case it wasn't obvious.

Shot off a feedback to Apple. Hopefully they respond.

11. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

*chuckle*chuckle* :D

This is the link for those wanting to let  know your opinions...

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macbookpro.html

----------

here is an interesting article about the class action suit against Apple and perhaps why the 17" MPB was pulled?

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2012/08/class-action-filed-against-apple-for-defective-macbook-logic-boards.html

----------

here's another perspective,...

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/why-apple-dumped-the-17-inch-macbook-pro/20761

When LCD panel makers get better at making 'retina' display screen, and 17-inch panels start rolling off the production lines at the right price point, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Apple starts to offer 'retina' display enabled 17-inch MacBook Pro systems once again.

12. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

are you to incompetent to comprehend my post?

i said attach an external display, not carry one around

whoes stupid enough to do that

13. Doward macrumors 6502a

Please don't try to insult someone when you can't even use proper freaking grammar and/or spelling. Correct grammar does help beget comprehension, after all.

Please tell me how I attach an external display to this theoretical 15" MBP when I don't have it with me when out in the field?

----------

Not going to lie - that is HILARIOUS - at least, to me. I've already documented WHY those Macbook Pros were running hot - poor thermal transfer facilitated between CPU/GPU and heatsink assembly.

As for the 2nd link - I'd be first in line for a 17" Retina MBP ;)

14. leman macrumors 604

I agree :D

Anyway, I don't see Apple reviving the 17". It always was a niche machine, and with the rMBP which offers the same (or better) real screen estate, there is not much point to a bigger machine. A retina-enabled 17" would only make sense if Apple also adds a more powerful GPU option to it - and Apple never did desktop replacements.

Of course, Doward here will disagree, but his point basically boils down to "I can't work with 1920x1200 on a 15" display". The thing is, most people can.

15. Doward macrumors 6502a

Not quite - it's not that I CAN'T work on it - put a gun to my head, and I'll slam out code on my phone ;)

It's that for my money, a 17" is the clear winner when it comes to size/portability/power/screen real estate.

16. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

It is too bad Apple discontinued the 17" MBP. I hate to see any model go. Apple is still making the cMPB so it doesn't seem like it would have been that hard to keep making and updating the 17" cMBP at the least. I guess they figured they'd lose money on future upgrades after 2011(?) I don't know.

I also don't know how feasible a 17" rMPB would be. The form factor would be like a cafeteria tray. The display sure would be gorgeous though.

17. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I carry mine everywhere I literally never leave my home without it.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I get it, but the point remains not enough Pros bought it. Simple fact Apple makes money off the laptop, they keep selling they don't - they discontinue it.

19. vpro, Jun 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2013

vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

You and many out there fail to provide proof that Apple officially made an Apple legit statement that they "killed off" the 17"MBP for a reason. Nothing from Apple, just all speculation and pretend number crunching by people who pretend to have the "crystal balls".

NO one knows truly why but I have an idea:

Apple has changed into a brand name consumer goods dealership of over priced over rated gadgets geared towards the IOS headz out there along with the rich young people who care for image more than sense or productivity...

Thank you.

----------

You can't be more wrong..

Apple makes all its major cash from off shore tax breaks as well as IOS devices as the main focus now for this brand name consumer goods dealership, they finally answered the prayers and wishes of the MAC PROsumers, why wouldn't they eventually bring back the MONSTER WORKHORSE 17"MBP? It is just a matter of time. They are always developing something and as long as they haven't said anything doesn't make any independent speculations out there true.

The real fact of the matter is still this: the pros are still using their 17"macbook pros and producing a tremendous amount of creative works with it STILL. the reason why perhaps some speculate the lack of sales is a DUH! It is because Apple did not continue to update and refresh this beast of a machine, because this machine is so user-updatable etc, us pros hung on to one or more of them, they still work for us. We would gladly pay up to 5K if Apple would have continued to refresh it but NO.

So lets lay to REST this amateur idea that the prosumers are to "blame" for the "death" of the 17" macbook pro. There was no "death nor killing off" you are so over dramatic my goodness. There was no refresh from Apple despite the demand, so as the prosumer had their wallets ready to pay for a refresh, Apple did not supply. That's all.

20. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

Apple will bring a 17" back when they decide to go into the gaming scene.

21. maflynn, Jun 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2013

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Maybe I am and maybe I'm not, the bottom line is that apple discontinued the the line and they generally don't re-introduce what they discontinued. So I may be wrong in the reasoning (I can live with that) but that doesn't really change the fact any.

22. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Not negative in the least. It was discontinued over a year ago for very good reasons. It's ludicrous to imagine they'll bring it back.

----------

I'm sad now because I can't afford the same drugs you can. :mad:

23. gamerish macrumors member

It's very unlikely that they'd bring it back. Anything is possible so I won't say it'll never happen, but the chances are so small it's not useful to hope for really.

24. Hman81 macrumors newbie

Apple could be waiting to release a 17rmbp which could be the reason why there is a delay of the Haswell rmbps?

25. CaptHenryMorgan macrumors regular

If you're a midget. I've been using 17" Apple notebooks since they came out. Ride my bike to work with it in my pack every day, carry it around the office all day, carry it around the house all the time. Just because you're too weak to handle it doesn't mean it's not portable. It's not THAT much heavier than a 15" and really not that much bigger physically.

----------

There we go, now I can actually comprehend the ridiculous argument you're trying to make.