Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2013
It just can’t get any better
50e467633253366b42c502e3f0b2a128.jpg

Reactions: LizKat

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
Actually, I've never seen this on a CD - otherwise, I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat.

it's available at the iTunes store - get the HiFive version - if you want the same version as that 45 rpm

I also have the Mannhiem Steam Roller CD - but I definitely prefer the original with horns and drums etc.

Also a great version on the Movie Sound Track - "The Story of Us" - very good version with only him on the guitar and no orchestra

edit - opps - you meant the Physical CD mine are 25 + years old

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
it's available at the iTunes store - get the HiFive version - if you want the same version as that 45 rpm

I also have the Mannhiem Steam Roller CD - but I definitely prefer the original with horns and drums etc.

Also a great version on the Movie Sound Track - "The Story of Us" - very good version with only him on the guitar and no orchestra

edit - opps - you meant the Physical CD mine are 25 + years old

A kind colleague gave me a recording of an acoustic version around fifteen years ago, (we had much the same conversation as we have just had), but, like you, I far prefer the original with horns and drums.

Thanks for the link, but I am old school where music is concerned - CDs and vinyl are my preferred listening (even if ripped to mp3 players). However, I would love to lay hands on a CD with the original recording.

Reactions: mikzn

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Jazz night for me. I'm pretending it's Friday on Tuesday because I don't like the weather forecast from here until the weekend, so I'm skipping those days entirely this week, a prerogative one can actually exercise to some extent in retirement. :)

So tonight on the start of my faux weekend, some picks from an orchestrated piano jazz album Across the Crystal Sea (2008). The album was arranged and conducted by the late and widely celebrated composer and producer-arranger Claus Ogerman. He was born in Upper Silesia, now part of Poland, and emigrated to the USA in 1959. He wrote and arranged music prolifically, helping produce award-winning jazz, top-40 pop, R&B, soul, plus film scores and compositions in classical subgenres including opera, ballet and a number of concerti for assorted instruments.

The tracks of this album are arrangements of themes by various composers in several genres.

Panamanian jazz pianist and composer Danilo Pérez is the soloist. He studied piano from age three, began classical European repertoire training at 10 and at 20 received a Fulbright USA Scholarship to study abroad. Pérez eventually also received a Quincy Jones Scholarship to the Berklee College of Music... the rest has become some impressive contributions to jazz history in performance, composition, teaching, jazz festivals involvement and musical good will ambassadorship for the UN as well. He happened to have returned for performances in his native land just before the USA invaded Panama in 1989 to capture Manuel Noriega. Pérez and his ensemble held their concert anyway in a packed club with an audience that was divided politically over the US invasion but determined to set all that aside and celebrate life with that two-hour concert no matter what.

Additional featured contributors on the Across the Crystal Sea album are Christian McBride, bass; Lewis Nash, drums; Luis Quintero, other percussion; Bruce Dukov serves as concertmaster and Casssandra Wilson provides vocals for 2 tracks.

This track, The Purple Condor, is for piano, percussion and orchestra, based on a theme by a 20th century Spanish composer, the late Manuel de Falla.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
On an anime kick, Attack on Titan to be precise, and there are some great OST songs.

YouSeeBIGGIRL/T:T「Vogel im Käfig 2.0」

(Vogel im Käfig translates to "bird in a cage")

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Continuing my pretense that it's Friday all week because the weather forecasts are horror shows until then... So another round of Friday night jazz picks (on a Wednesday)... tonight it's the 1995 album A Cool Blue from the Tim Warfield Quintet. Almost cool enough not to mind the breeze from an earlier storm has dropped off to nothing. And that breeze is my A/C so I really need cool blue tunes tonight!

cover art Tim Warfield Quintet - Cool Blue.jpg

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
Today's album of choice has been Bruce Hornsby & The Range: Scenes From The Southside. Absolutely love all the material on this one.

Reactions: mikzn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.