What are you reading? August 2010 Edition

iSaint

macrumors 603
Original poster
We used to talk about what MR members were reading at times. Seeing as no one has responded to this thread, maybe we're just sitting in front of our [pick your Apple product] all day.

So what have you read this month?

Just finished several good books:

The Green Hills of Africa by Ernest Hemingway. I'm not much of a hunter, but enjoyable descriptions of tracking big game in the beautiful country of Africa in the mid-20th Century.

Louisiana Power and Light by John Dufresne. Southern Gothic at its best. Also read the sorta sequel Deep in the Shade of Paradise. Both are about the mystery and melancholy lives of a 'cursed' family in deep Louisiana.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
2001: A Space Odyssey
2010: Odyssey Two
2061: Odyssey Three
3001: The Final Odyssey

A good series.

redwarrior

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2008
in the Dawg house
Textbooks and Reference
Essentials of Accounting - Kimmel Weygandt Kieso
Systems Analysis and Design Methods - Jeffrey Whitten & Lonnie Bentley
JavaScript: The Missing Manual - David Sawyer McFarland

Just for fun
Dreaming in Code - Scott Rosenberg
Switch: How to Change Things When Change Is Hard - Heath & Heath
Self Matters : Creating Your Life from the Inside Out - Dr. Phil

Wow, makes me look like a pretty boring person I suppose. :eek:

AAPLaday

Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
Just finished Greed by Chris Ryan. Will next be moving onto either Confessions of a Spy by Pete Earley or The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
J... or The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson
I recently listened to the first two Larsson's audiobooks. Excellent distraction during otherwise repetitive daily walking exercise. Haven't read the third yet.

AAPLaday

Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
I recently listened to the first two Larsson's audiobooks. Excellent distraction during otherwise repetitive daily walking exercise. Haven't read the third yet.
Yeah i heard really good things about them. Had Dragon Tattoo for few months now but been so busy with work that i haven't had time to get beyond the first page.

I pre ordered one of those new Kindles from Amazon and will probably use that as my primary reading tool.

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
this tread... oh, and going through Tolkien again in my 10 minutes of down time per day.

reading primary school star wars books to the 5 and 7 year old kids. funny but true, they have never seen the movies, and yet they are totally addicted based on books and the Wii lego game.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Recently read: Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby

Fun and unique way of writing a memoir—everything framed by football matches.

Just finished: Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

Fascinating, haunting character-driven dystopia.

Next up: Globish: How the English Language Became the World's Language by Robert McCrum

A little non-fiction for the end of the summer. :)

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I'm looking to clear my head for back to school, I'm reading The Sacred Balance by David Suzuki. It's a real eye opener and thinker. :)

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
At the minute I'm reading The Sign of the four by Arthur Conan Doyle and a copy of Motorcycle Sports & Leisure :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.