Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

duroduncan

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2008
just a quick quesiton,
how come you didn't order CS4? do you need CS3 right away? I think CS4 has a 1-2 month shipping since its not out but I think im going for CS4 so I don't have to upgrade and I don't need it right away.

I bought CS3 because it was on sale for $249.99.....CS4 would be way more expensive, plus I don't really need it. As of now I am using Macromedia MX Collection! haha very old, but still works great!;)

petermcphee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
Mine:

2.4GHz
Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB DDR3 Memory
250GB hard drive
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics

The wife is getting the white $999 model.

We're both switchers. We're both excited. As I am a student, we'll utilize the education discount. We're also planning on getting the home/student edition of MS Office and installing it on both machines.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Reasons why this thread is an epic fail:
"git" Really? You can type git and not get?
"her" Really? It's a ****ing machine ... not really gender specific. ;)
"sike" Need I say more?

At this point the only thing I can see people adding is more ram ... not too exciting and should never be done as a BTO. Third party ram FTW.

iMav

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2008
Columbus, WI
I've got a 500GB hdd and 4GB of ram on the way (from NewEgg). I'll likely be picking up a 2.0Ghz model (no BTO upgrades) this weekend.

new2macx

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2008
UK
Just ordered mine by phone from the UK Apple store:

2.4GHz Aluminium
Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB DDR3 Memory
250GB hard drive
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics
£988.18 (Higher Ed discount)

Didn't buy applecare as the HE discount gets a 3yr parts & labour warranty anyhow. Only 90 days phone support for me but prepared to risk it :cool:

Delivery estimate 31 Oct-3 Nov / 7 business days *sigh*

Both my 'local' (ie. hour's drive) had run out :(

iFanaddic

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2008
Montréal, Canada
very important question.. If you buy your macbook with stuff pre installed on it do they still send you the CD's for it? I bought mine with iWork and I wanna have a copy of the disk if something goes wrong.. Should I worry?

Anderson3133

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008
very important question.. If you buy your macbook with stuff pre installed on it do they still send you the CD's for it? I bought mine with iWork and I wanna have a copy of the disk if something goes wrong.. Should I worry?

you receive the disks, however you don't get the fancy box the disks usually come with :p

riz78612

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2007
Also please add PRICE- and DISCOUNTS

Also please add PRICE- and DISCOUNTS

and what offers you used to get the Macbook at your price.
And were you got it from- Apple store US / UK / Ebay / Amazon etc

Thanks

I also want to get Macbook, but no way im going to get it from UK with those steep prices compared to US prices.

Its totally a bump in UK.

Even when you configure and add higher spec each time you getting even more bumped when adding higher config from the UK store.

TJunkers

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2007
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
128GB SSD
SuperDrive 8x
iWork '08 pre-installed

-----------

Arrives by Monday! I'll post pics and speed tests soon after! With SSD, 4GB of RAM, and the 2.4 GHz processor. It's gonna fly!

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
2.4GHz
4GB Ram
320 HDD
Apple Remote
Mini Display to VGA
Mini Display to DVI
MagSafe Airline
MobileMe subscription

All with a Student Discount... college student here. Pretty much that will leave my bank account in 0s.... *sigh* good xmas present for myself though ;)

Heimlich

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2008
This question will be important come a week or two!!!!
You: Can the apple store put a back-lit keyboard inside the 2.0Ghz for extra money?
Rep: No that is not possible.*
(Thats BS and he knows it! There will be so many people blogging about how to do this by November!)

I'll have to go on the apple representative's defense on this matter. Im sure he answered that question as truthfully as he could. That was not BS. The question was if apple can put a backlit keyboard inside the macbook for extra money. The answer is no, that is not possible. Sure maybe modders will find a way to put a backlight on the keyboard but is that the apple store? No its not.

Quillz

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
The one I just bought...

MacBook
  • Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.4 GHz
  • 3 MB L2 cache
  • 2 GB DDR3 memory
  • 250 GB hard drive
  • Mac OS X Leopard
  • Back lit keyboard

Including the educational discount, came to just over $1,600, but this also factors in tax and shipping. All things considered, $1,600 is really not an unacceptable price for a notebook computer, considering that the MacBook I bought last year cost over $1,800. And you know, it wasn't all that long ago that consumer notebooks started at $1,600.

MacsBestFriend

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2008
upstate ny (purgatory)
I'll have to go on the apple representative's defense on this matter. Im sure he answered that question as truthfully as he could. That was not BS. The question was if apple can put a backlit keyboard inside the macbook for extra money. The answer is no, that is not possible. Sure maybe modders will find a way to put a backlight on the keyboard but is that the apple store? No its not.

Yes I see your point and I also found out later after I posted that chat, I discovered that the 2.4's light sensor is an extra hole drilled in the top of the computer. I was wrong. I just am intrigued by what modders will think of to overcome this!

Chase R

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2008
PDX
2.4GHz - 4GB - 250GB - iWork - Office for Mac

Hopefully this will last me through my Masters... :D:apple:

Young Turk

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2002
Do you all think there will be more MacBooks in retail stores by next weekend?

Go into your Best Buy if there's not an Apple Store nearby. I was surprised they had received stock of both models Thursday. Picked up 2.4 MB Friday night and love it.

Young Turk

ruku

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2007
I bought a white macbook a year ago almost and I will upgrade when we get 4 core processors and USB3 depending on how long that takes. I haven't checked intels schedule for releasing their new CPUs but I think its happening next year. That should be fast enough to satisfy my rational arguments into letting me drop the coin on a new one.

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
I bought a white macbook a year ago almost and I will upgrade when we get 4 core processors and USB3 depending on how long that takes. I haven't checked intels schedule for releasing their new CPUs but I think its happening next year. That should be fast enough to satisfy my rational arguments into letting me drop the coin on a new one.

I also bought the white one in november last year, bought a new one now :) Will most likely buy a new one late 09 too. It's fun to have new things

iMav

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2008
Columbus, WI
I've got a 500GB hdd and 4GB of ram on the way (from NewEgg). I'll likely be picking up a 2.0Ghz model (no BTO upgrades) this weekend.
Bought the low-end glassbook (2.0Ghz) yesterday. Upgraded to 4GB ram and a 500GB hdd (both from NewEgg) without issue. I was surprised that they made the ram less accessible. Easy enough upgrade, but I didn't expect to have to take the entire bottom off.

I'm not a big trackpad person...but I am really liking this one. I use tap gestures for left and right clicking, so I don't actuate it as a button all that much...but I do think it was implemented well. I was surprised that it was "hinged" at the top...I thought, according to earlier reports, that you could pretty much click anywhere. Not a negative (especially since I don't use that functionality), just different than I was expecting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.