Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

What case, if any, will you be buying for your new iPhone 12 and why?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I just ordered the Spigen Ultra Hybrid clear case for the mini blue. I wanted to have something in case the Apple leather case doesn’t work out or gets pushed back. If the clear works well, I will keep using it, as I really like the looks of that blue color.

iFone88

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2018
The two cases to get me through until Apple release their leather ones.

Olixar (advertised as genuine but definitely fake)leather in grey and the Ringke fusion Matte clear. Might just send the Olixar back now as the buttons are quite stiff.

I have sent a good eight cases back to Amazon already.
0207945B-8E35-4CD6-BF44-459A22BB98E3.jpeg

Reactions: reebs and Sal09

iFone88

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2018
The two cases to get me through until Apple release their leather ones.

Olixar (advertised as genuine but definitely fake)leather in grey and the Ringke fusion Matte clear. Might just send the Olixar back now as the buttons are quite stiff.

I have sent a good eight cases back to Amazon already. View attachment 973158
Love the Ringke one. I’ve just ordered another in case the sides go yellow over the coming months.

artfossil

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
Update: my Otterbox Symmetry showed up and I was not impressed. I think this case has gone downhill since the last one I bought (for my X). I need a litte more protection than that.

I've also bought this one and am trying it out:

Please don't waste my time and yours whining at me about how evil it is to put a protective case on the phone... you can't see the "art" and all that nonsense. I'm a klutz, I drop the phone, I run it into things, I leave it places and then those places move (figure it out). I like this case so far. The blue is an almost perfect match for the Pacific Blue.
Sorry to hear that about the Otterbox Symmetry, as I'm looking at the Pro Max version. Since my phone rarely leaves my house, it may be enough for me. :cool:

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I’m now leaning toward the Apple Clear case. I’m not excited about the visible ring but I’ll get over it. I have the clear case on my 11 Pro and really like it for a case. I still wish Apple would build the iPhone so it doesn’t need a case. Yes the iPhone is a work of art...until you put on a case.
I wonder if there is a way to remove the white ring without damaging the case, or is it sealed inside?

posguy99

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Sorry to hear that about the Otterbox Symmetry, as I'm looking at the Pro Max version. Since my phone rarely leaves my house, it may be enough for me. :cool:
It's MUCH thinner, which I suppose for some people is a good thing, and is almost entirely hard plastic this time. I really don't see any difference between it and any other hard case, which is unfortunate. I've decided I'm going to send mine back.

Edit... have done. The new Symmetry is *not* worth what Otterbox is asking for it, they're trading on their name.

Last edited:
Reactions: artfossil

artfossil

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
It's MUCH thinner, which I suppose for some people is a good thing, and is almost entirely hard plastic this time. I really don't see any difference between it and any other hard case, which is unfortunate. I've decided I'm going to send mine back.
Since you value protection, what do you think about this case? I've never heard of X-Doria.

posguy99

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Since you value protection, what do you think about this case? I've never heard of X-Doria.
I've never used one of their cases, so no personal experience. I think the aluminum is just aesthetic, though, I don't know what it adds other than that.

Reactions: artfossil

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
Do we know if/when Apple is going to make leather cases for the 12 Pro? I was disappointed to learn they did not have any in stock at my Apple Store when I picked up my phone yesterday.

JediStreamer

Contributor
Aug 23, 2020
I'm glad the Apple silicone cases now cover the entire bottom of the phone. I'm not sure why they couldn't do the same for the clear case.

Reactions: Sal09

posguy99

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
I'm glad the Apple silicone cases now cover the entire bottom of the phone. I'm not sure why they couldn't do the same for the clear case.
Didn't someone say it was because the case was stiffer and there was issue getting it on and off? I disremember, didn't pay a whole lot of attention to it as I'd never need a clear case from any manufacturer.

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
Got my usual Caudabe Sheath (love it) and also picked up Lucid Clear just for the hell of it. I might switch to Lucid Clear as my "daily driver". Beautiful case for those who like clear cases. Having used it in the past, fairly certain it doesn't yellow unlike most of the other clear cases out there.

treimche

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2012
I just received this in the mail from Amazon yesterday, for my future iPhone 12 Pro Max. Cost a whole $7.51. Looks good and feels good. Once I can get my hands on the 12 Pro Max I'll see how well it fits. My friend who just bought an Apple Silicon case is suddenly mad he paid $50 for his from Apple. I have been in the habit of buying a dirt cheap <$10 case and a nicer quality case for my last couple iPhones. I can't share a link to it because its completely gone from Amazon, but here is what the original listing said:

Zuslab Nano Silicone Compatible with iPhone 12 Pro Max Case 2020 Liquid Silicone Rubber Shockproof Soft Full Protection Case - Cobalt Blue

Attachments

• 2C0C0B79-EA8B-4547-8A4A-BB51DB15DF5A.jpeg
    2C0C0B79-EA8B-4547-8A4A-BB51DB15DF5A.jpeg
    649.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 634A1B0F-E548-448D-9263-8D3FEA89F246.jpeg
    634A1B0F-E548-448D-9263-8D3FEA89F246.jpeg
    548.9 KB · Views: 45
  • 18C1B7AE-0B94-480C-88B6-AD2F5B7F6453_1_201_a.jpeg
    18C1B7AE-0B94-480C-88B6-AD2F5B7F6453_1_201_a.jpeg
    320.3 KB · Views: 47
Reactions: keithprater

JerseyJon

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2013
Just picked up the speck presidio grip today since the leather is not out yet. Hands down the best fitting case I’ve ever used on an iPhone. Absolutely 0 budge anywhere on the case. Previous models of this case had some near the bottom and buttons. Speaking of buttons, the best feedback I’ve felt as well. Totally impressed.

Reactions: Crazyj414

Lakersfan74

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2019
I haven't decided yet. I like the clear ones but some of them don't appear to retain the flat edge of the phone.
I will wait awhile to see if some are redesigned now that the phone is out. I read that the Otterbox Symentry clear case doesn't fit quite right.

Reactions: eleite

Truckondo

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2009
Do we know if/when Apple is going to make leather cases for the 12 Pro? I was disappointed to learn they did not have any in stock at my Apple Store when I picked up my phone yesterday.

Supposedly they will be available Nov 6th. As some who has used the leather cases on my 7 and Xs, I was disappointed they didn’t have it ready for launch day. I made sure to order my 12 Pro a little later so I could at least get the leather case along with the phone. ETA on my ship date is 11/10 to 11/16.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
Supposedly they will be available Nov 6th. As some who has used the leather cases on my 7 and Xs, I was disappointed they didn’t have it ready for launch day. I made sure to order my 12 Pro a little later so I could at least get the leather case along with the phone. ETA on my ship date is 11/10 to 11/16.

Leather case seems overrated with Magsafe accessories making imprints on them, doesn't seem to be worth unless you plan on ignoring all the Magsafe connector marketing. I love Apple's Leather case, but I can't stand it having imprints coming from Magsafe. It's sad that people say that Magsafe is not strong enough, but then at the same time it is strong enough to leave an imprint on the leather case... :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.