Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Today's event saw the launch of new iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro models, an updated 10.2-inch iPad, and new Apple Watch Series 5 models, but there are several other hardware products that we're still expecting to see this fall.

A new 16-inch MacBook Pro with slimmer bezels and a new design is expected to be released sometime in the fall of 2019, as are updated iPad Pro models, which could potentially have the same three-lens camera system that Apple just introduced in the iPhone 11 Pro.

13-16-inch-macbook-pro-air-trio-800x438.jpg
16-inch MacBook Pro mockup​

Likewise, there are hints of new Apple Tags in the iOS 13 code, suggesting that product is also nearly ready to launch. Apple Tags are Apple's Tile competitor, which will let you find lost devices.

Apple Tags are expected to outperform competitors thanks to the inclusion of ultra wide band support in new iPhone models, which is more accurate than Bluetooth for indoor positioning purposes.

While we've never heard a specific launch date bandied about for the Apple Tags, there are so many signs of the feature in iOS 13 that we're expecting to see it in the near future.

apple-item-tag.jpg

Since rumors have suggested we should expect to see a 16-inch MacBook Pro and new iPad Pro models (not to mention more info on the upcoming Mac Pro), it's quite possible Apple will hold a second event in October.

Apple did, however, unveil the 10.2-inch iPad today, so it's not entirely clear why that device wasn't saved for an October event if we're getting new iPad Pro models. It's possible Apple's October event will be a "Pro" event with details on the MacBook Pro, iPad Pro, Mac Pro, and possibly other Macs that could see a fall refresh.

Article Link: What Didn't Launch Today: Apple Tags, 16-Inch MacBook Pro, New iPad Pro Models

Yojimbo007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Introducing the 10.2 today and leaving other iPads out and mentioning nothing about the iPad pros or an event down the line was a very confusing move by Apple.
What was the point??

If iPads belong to another event.. why introduce the 10.2 today???

DVD9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
You would think with all the thin and light development and with LG launching a 17 inch less than three pound laptop with 16:10 screen size that Apple could do an 18 inch laptop.

ajfahey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2001
Moorpark, CA
I'm looking forward to buying MacOS hardware that's cheaper than one of these new iPhones.
Not happening. Technology innovation has plateaued at Apple and at Intel. SSD and video tech too. No real reason anymore refresh everything anymore. All of Apple’s products are now commodities that only require replacement when broken or every 5-7 years when they just wear out. Pricing and reliability are all that matters now and high reliability will cannibalize sales so plan on planned obsolescence.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
This October event will be a bit more interesting than recent ones. Hopefully.

I been saying that for the last few years. I'm actually kind of excited over the pixel 4... not because i hate apple or some crap, just genuinely interested what innovations they came up with that don't involve only the camera.

ajfahey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2001
Moorpark, CA
I assume we will see a late Oktober event this year. There are too much products rumored, for it to be „not existent“.
What could there be that is coming? Growing screen size by 0.6 inches is hardly a compelling reason to buy an new laptop when there is nothing really different going on under the hood. I halfway expect Apple to start charging for OS updates again to keep the cash flow going. Their hardware won’t be cutting it.

Reactions: JamSoft

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Brilliant pipeline management from Apple.

I love how Apple plays the long game. Just look at AirPods. Why rush out new colors and design when the current ones are selling so well? Release them when sales slow.

Products shouldn’t be rushed to market for many reasons, but all of it seems to be calculated.

Reactions: Wags

alexandero

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2004
Not happening. Technology innovation has plateaued at Apple and at Intel. SSD and video tech too. No real reason anymore refresh everything anymore. All of Apple’s products are now commodities that only require replacement when broken or every 5-7 years when they just wear out. Pricing and reliability are all that matters now and high reliability will cannibalize sales so plan on planned obsolescence.
What you forgot: Apple's products need to be replaced when their owner needs more storage. The only reason I'm planning to sell my MBP 13" from 2016 is that my 256GB SSD is full. Well, another reason might be that it recently suffered the stagelight effect and needed a new screen. And a few months prior to that, the battery was swollen and was replaced. And then the keyboard had stuck keys. So I'm desperately looking for a replacement. But the current pricing structure is hard to bear, especially when living in the EU.

Edit: back in 2016 the 512GB SSD was quite/too expensive. So I got the 256GB, as I was sure that prices would drop significantly within three years. Boy I was wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.