What do you guys think of the new iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by iwannaimac, Oct 23, 2012.

1. iwannaimac macrumors member

The new iMac is amazing! What are your thoughts? Shame about December 27" shipping :(

2. RandomMistakes macrumors newbie

What's amazing about it?
    The only thing that impresses me is that Apple really cares how thin the damn edge of their DESKTOP computer can be.

It could be 6 inches thick for all I care if they just put a real graphics card in there.

3. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

I like it a lot. The fusion drive seems really cool. I thought I'd be upset to see a desktop lose the optical drive but its not like I use discs any more at home than I do on the go. A shame they're going thinner since it sits on a desk but I expected to be disappointed in this regard. I know the iMac is just for design freaks that want a laptop on a stick.

I'm not in the market for a desktop but I was hoping for an update on the Thunderbolt Display. I figured they would release it along with the new iMac. Could it be a silent update?

----------

Yup. It's quite infuriating so I usually stay out of the iMac forum to keep from flaming. Hopefully they have real desktops next year.

4. uptownnyc macrumors 6502

Fusion drive is really just an Apple-name for hybrid drives that have been around for awhile. Good - but not really new.

5. Kendo macrumors 68000

What current all-in-one PCs have them?

6. goondocks macrumors newbie

- Smaller/thinner - Who cares it's a desktop.
    - GPU is made for a laptop, for gamers this will show it's age quickly.
    - FusionDrive - time will tell how well this works. 128GB SSD feels small.

7. karpich1 macrumors regular

It looks like their "Fusion Drive" is just their take on the "Hybrid Drive" which has been around for a while. For example, Dell offers them on regular desktops.

Just a way to give you some SSD performance while giving you large size, in 1 drive.

8. mdgolom macrumors 6502

The only think that jumps out at me is the there doesn't appear to be a way to upgrade the memory short of pulling the screen. For me at least, that's a problem. I don't mind the lack of the SuperDrive.

My iMac is dying, so I'm now leaning towards a new Mac Mini (quad i7) with a 27" refurbished thunderbolt Cinema display. The most I do is simple movies in iMovie, watches DVDs and some VM for windows.

9. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

I am glad I bought my iMac in July. The new doesn't have anything I want except probably USB 3.0. It does look cool though....

10. uptownnyc macrumors 6502

I'm not sure. If you're looking to buy a PC, you're probably on the wrong website.

11. tyche macrumors 6502

Making it thin on the edge and fat in the middle doesn't really help anything. In the end you lose your side connectivity options like the sd card and optical.

I'm still waiting to see if there's an SSD only option on the 21.5". I'd rather not have a platter disk making noise and heat in that tiny back space.

I like the edgeless design from the front though. Nice overall update but not earth shaking for most people vs existing models.

12. I8P'CS macrumors 6502

Apple will sting you all next year when they keep the thinness but change the style!! it looks the same as previous model but thinner!! I was told last week who looks at the back....... hmmmmm

Wonder if those people will say the same thing now or go buy a 2011 model. Looks like you can install ram too.

13. antman2x2 macrumors 6502a

Honestly? Im dissapointed.

I have the mid-2011 model. 27 incher with the 6970 2 gigs and 16 gigs of ram.

I honestly feel the new model is a step back. The GPU is around 20% slower than the current gen.

Honestly, they need to relax with the thinness, they're actually now WEAKENING products to make them thin.

14. Yamcha macrumors 68000

I was actually expecting a complete redesign, this is more of a incremental redesign, just a thinner enclosure..

I think I'll probably be buying a used 2011..

15. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

I may pull the trigger on the current one before December and get the integrated SSD/HDD configuration. Would not buy this new one over a laptop or laptop with ACD. No optical drive??? On a desktop? Seriously?

This would look nice sitting on a desk but in functionality would fall short for my needs.

16. Rebel Hedgehog macrumors member

Wow what a let down. What is the big bloody deal with going thin as that for a desk top. Major fail apple.... And it took you that long to come up with that

Wish I had bought now in July. Think I'll just pick up the older 27" as there should be a fair few for sale now at a decent price

17. KeenanKoso macrumors newbie

Where can I see a picture of the new iMac? Currently not home so it's hard to keep up on my phone

18. bchreng macrumors 6502a

bchreng

They will. It's very likely that they'll drop the 640m in the lower end model in favor of the next-gen integrated graphics offered in the Haswell chips.

19. cooky560 macrumors regular

cooky560

I like it apart from where has the removable RAM slots gone?

20. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

21. 7enderbender macrumors 6502a

7enderbender

Totally agree. Apple's obsession with purty design still keeps Win PC folks like me on the fence. No optical drive means I have to buy that in addition. And now I wonder if you can still open the darn thing up at all or if this is all glued together again. The Mac Mini looks like a better choice. I find all-in-one designs impractical to begin with and this makes it worse probably.

22. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Does it ship in December but we can order today?

23. chuckd83 macrumors regular

iMac is up on the apple website. user accessible RAM is only configurable on the 27". :(

24. antman2x2 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, good question. How the hell do we add ram? I am NOT paying apples stupid ram prices.

25. HurtinMinorKey macrumors 6502