What do you think of the leaked iPhone design?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kalsta, May 30, 2012.

?

What do you think of the new iPhone design with two-toned back?

1. I love the new design!! They both look fantastic.

70 vote(s)
    18.9%
  2. I like the black, but not the white.

39 vote(s)
    10.5%
  3. I like the white, but not the black.

23 vote(s)
    6.2%
  4. Not overly impressed, but perhaps it will grow on me.

122 vote(s)
    32.9%
  5. I'm disappointed by the new design / expected better.

117 vote(s)
    31.5%
  1. kalsta macrumors 68000

kalsta

Assuming these leaks are genuine, what do you think of the new iPhone design with two-toned back?

[​IMG]

2. matttye macrumors 601

3. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I wrote what thought in another one of the 100 threads on this very same topic.

4. kalsta thread starter macrumors 68000

kalsta

I was curious to see it put to the vote, rather than just discussed. Is there already another poll specifically on the design? If there is, I hadn't seen it.

5. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

I hope it's not just a longer screen. But in the event that it is they will twist it into some tale of how it's better as a longer device rather than longer and wider.

6. iAppleseed, May 30, 2012
    Last edited: May 30, 2012

iAppleseed macrumors regular

Ewww, I hate those bars on top. Ruined everything. It might look better without it.

7. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

8. hellomoto4 macrumors 6502a

hellomoto4

I absolutely hate it. The back looks terrible and seems to be a massive step back from the 4/4S glass back. The speaker grill looks extremely bulky and ugly, and the lack of symmetry on the bottom (due to the headphone jack) makes it even worse. Even the separation of the camera lens from the camera flash looks silly (although perhaps there is something in between?)!

I am extremely disappointed in this design, and can only hope that Apple did not choose this for the final product.

9. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Looks too similar to the 4-4S form factor...But uglier. Obviously, this design isn't too far off from the current design. It looks like a lazy rendition of what they already had. I'm sorry, but if this is the next gen design, I think it's a huge step backwards for apple in terms of hardware. Put a 4S side by side with this new design and tell me what looks nicer...I think 4S wins hands down. The bars are hideous. the speaker grill holes are cheap looking, the 2-tone look is horrendous, etc. It looks like someone took a 4S to West Coast Customs or something. And the more I look at it, the more hideous it becomes. I just can't believe this is something Apple would design. I'll reserve final judgement for when im holding it in my hands. But from what i can see right now...YUCK!

10. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

A very weak effort at making the next iPhone look improved.

Keeping the same width and stretching it out, just to claim it's 4.0" (still on the small side) is a futile effort in compromise.

The best news of all, would be if it turns out to be a complete fake.

11. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

i didn't want the 4" screen...maybe it will grow on me

12. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Here is how the design liking goes for Apple fans...

Leaks: "I hate it! Un-Apple like, they would never do that, looks terrible!"
    Official: "Best design ever! Gorgeous, amazing, only Apple could do that."

13. juannacho macrumors regular

juannacho

Hmm. There's a saying about pleasing all of the people some of the time?

2010:
    "I hate the iPhone 4! Who would make a phone out of glass!! They'll just break all the time. The 3GS was much classier etc."

2012:
    "I hate the new iPhone! Why did they get rid of the glass back? Metal looks horrible. The 4S was much classier etc."

If you hate the design, you can at least appease yourself with this thought - by the time it's in the shops your brain will have been wiped by Apple and you'll love it!

14. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I'm sure Apple will keep the same material across the back. Don't think Jony would have left it like that.

15. gr8whtd0pe macrumors 6502a

gr8whtd0pe

Hate the bars, hate the headphone on the bottom and really hate the small dock connector.

Think of all the car stereos and such that people own that this will no longer work with. Or how oh my desk at work, I put my phone in the dock and still have my headphones plugged in listening to music, I couldn't do that with this one.

16. crashdebris macrumors newbie

Meh

I have a 4S so I will be skipping this gen. I will probably get the one after that though as I will be eligible for an upgrade.

I am one of those peeps that wanted the screen size to remain at 3.5". My reasoniong was for one-handed use (I have short stubby fingers), and app compatability. 3.5" has been plenty big enough for me.

I actually like the headphone jack on the bottom. Existing docks will need to be updated anyway due to the new size. It just seems cleaner to me to have all the holes on one side. Plus I like to have my phone be in my shirt pocket at work while plugged into the wall and headphones at same time. The existing design makes this awkward, but I'm probably the odd man out on this one.

App compatibility is not as big a deal as I first thought. I'm sure IOS6 will have tools that thew devs can use to make things work out. It won't be as clean as a simple doubling (like 3GS->4). Hopefully they can do it without the ugly bars on top and bottom (aspect ratio change), but I think thats asking more than is (reasonably) feasable.

I'm not locked into another iPhone, I try to keep an open mind. I will check out the competition when the time comes, but I like the way all my Apple gear just works. I don't want to spend more time tweaking my gear than using it, did that for far too long in the PC world.

17. iPusch macrumors 6502

iPusch

Like 2010

It was the same like with the iPhone 4 in 2010...when I first saw the leaked Prototype I didn't really like it, when they shown it at WWDC I was blown away though. So I think it's going to be peachy :D and btw I ain't hate the design so there is a chance for going to be awesome :p

18. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Headphone jack on the bottom is just stupid. How can you lean the phone upright in your car while plugged in? The phone needs to be upside down for the most efficient cable routing.

19. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Quoted for future reference, let's see how we all feel in another years time :cool:

20. aztooh macrumors 6502a

You keep your phone in your shirt pocket, while plugged into the wall and headphones???

21. shinobi-81 macrumors 6502

Not very beautiful, but seems like they'll be less prone to scratches.

22. Sedrick, May 30, 2012
    Last edited: May 30, 2012

Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

I'm not sure about a jack design that would require the iPhone be upside down all the time. As someone else mentioned, sitting in a dock on your desk would mean you couldn't use the headphone jack.

23. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I'm liking the black iPhone. Kind of like the new speaker/mic grill with just the cut out holes. Wish they'd do the same to the speaker on the front screen like the One X.

24. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

I like the black but the white just looks bad. I'm beginning to think that this is the new iPhone partially due to the home button.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Look at how the home button fits the casing

25. gta50419 macrumors 6502

Those are %100 fake. Apple would never release somethign that looks so cheap