What do you think will happen if it's a 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Reach9, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

After reading this article by 9to5Mac, I realized that we might actually see an iPhone 4S.
    9to5Mac has a solid background, and if the iPhone 5 is seeing production and design delays, then there's no way in hell i'm buying a 4S.

From the looks of it, they're saying the delays will push the iPhone 5 into 2012.

I currently have a very good condition iPhone 3G, and if anything, i'll sell it and buy an iPhone 3GS. I'm not being tied down into a contract for such an incremental design change.

What are your plans if the next iPhone is a 4$? If the iPhone 5 is being delayed until 2012, will it be delayed until next Fall? Or will it come out earlier next year? Do you think that this will affect Tim Cook's image as the new CEO of Apple? What do you think?

2. kid0 macrumors member

Not buying 4S.. I'm good with my 4 now. If it's 5, for sure.

3. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

I broke my iPhone 4 a couple months ago and grabbed a Razr to stay off contract so if it is only an iPhone 4S I will shed a tear then happily line up for the new gadget.

The difference between an iP4s and iP5 release is excitement/buzz it will generate. I will buy an iPhone 5 for sure. iP4s is something I would question a little though more likely than not to buy.

4. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I'll still buy it just because I want to switch back to an iPhone, so I have nothing to lose upgrading to the next iPhone rather than the iPhone 4.

5. MustangJoe macrumors member

I'll be upgrading from an enV Touch so of course I'll be upgrading. For me it will be a HUGE upgrade. One more thing who came up with the name 4S? Apple could still call it a iPhone 5 even if it is a spec bump.

6. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

depends what it has

why wouldn;t you upgrade if the screen is bigger and A5 chip

7. Reach9 thread starter macrumors 68020

Reach9

I highly doubt the screen size is going to increase if it's just an iPhone 4S. I also hate the iPhone 4 design.

I also believe that we can't blame Apple for the lack of an iPhone 5, if the delays are genuine. Does this mean that we'll see a 5 in a few months? Or will Apple keep that design for next year's LTE iPhone launch?

But yes, for some people, it'll be one hell of an upgrade.

8. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

I would rather them hold the redesign for the LTE iPhone.

9. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

If people buy the 4S, they better push early upgrades for people wanting to get the 5.

10. Reach9 thread starter macrumors 68020

Reach9

Any chance we might see a "boo!" moment in the audience if only the 4S is released?

I know I would if i were there.

11. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Expect that person to not get invited next year haha.

12. na1577 macrumors 6502a

I don't think we'll see a "Boo" moment, because the entire presentation will be a letdown, not just a single moment.

I think if Apple releases the 4S phone, we still won't see a true update until next fall. There are many people still buying the current iPhone 4 each day, even with the next phone coming soon. It doesn't make any difference to most consumers unless they currently have an iPhone 4.

13. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I think a lot of the people (even here) will complain about it, then go buy it and tell everyone how much they love it. Happens every year. There may be a bit of a drop in market share but probably nothing major. Lots of people are stuck on contracts for another year and would just keep their iPhone 4.

14. olemrboston macrumors newbie

olemrboston

15. edk99 macrumors 6502a

WHY!! Carriers don't do this when the latest and greatest Android phone comes out every few months. If a new iPhone comes out and you are not eligible for a full discount then you pay full price or early upgrade price.

16. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

I'll definitely be a bit disappointed, but only for my wife who is using a 3GS and waiting on the next model.

I personally have no plans on upgrading, regardless of whether it is an incremental hardware upgrade or total redesign as my iPhone 4 does everything I need of it and is still more than quick enough (and was just swapped out on Applecare for a finicky home button so it's almost brand new). The only new feature that peaks my interest is LTE and as I'm on AT&T and staying with AT&T (I get great coverage and speed where I live), I don't expect to see that included on an iPhone until 2012 at the earliest.

----------

I agree with edk99. Here's a thought--if you don't think the 4S is enough of a redesign to suit your needs, don't upgrade and save it for the next model. If you just can't live without the newest Apple toy, go ahead and upgrade but don't bitch when you can't 9 months (or 12, whatever it happens to be until next model) from now.

17. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

That will be me I'll b!tch about it, but I'll buy one just cause I can upgrade every year.

18. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

I will definitely be very disappointed since I sold my iPhone 4 months ago just for the iPhone 5. If Apple doesn't release crap my money will go on a galaxy Note for sure.

19. danpass, Sep 21, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2011

danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

<-- not buying a 4S

edit: If it was the only thing coming out this year then MAYBE, depending on specs. On the other hand the iphone5 is a sure buy no matter the specs lol

20. cyks, Sep 21, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2011

cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

...feel free to purchase any number of Android based phones that would.

At least that will be the thinking from a large number of consumers. As it is, cell phone sales people do what they can to dissuade buyers from getting the iPhone. Just think of how much easier it would be to encourage Android if the latest iPhone is still using the same 1.5+ year old design.

21. ToddH macrumors 6502a

ToddH

I'd buy a 4s for the larger 8mp camera & 1080P video. As a photographer who uses the Nikon D3 and D700 bodies, i like the iPhone's camera very much for what it can do. So yeah.....I'll buy a 4s especially if AT&T allows me to upgrade to a new phone every year!

T

22. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

Yes I do believe there will be a "boo!" moment.

For 4 years, there has been a pattern. This year, they choose to deviate from it. To many, including myself, this long of a delay should result in a significant upgrade (bigger screen, etc.. and not just ios 5). If it doesn't, Apple's ripe for criticism. Also, whether or not you like Android, some of the new Android phones are gaining in popularity. This could adversely affect their phone marketshare. For those that say Apple is not into marketshare but into margins, that used to be the case with macs. However, they have always touted the marketshare of iPods and iPhones. What does this mean for future releases? Being their flagship device, how they handle the iPhone is very important. Even though they are the biggest company (market capitalization), they are not untouchable.

Even though all of this was probably decided under Jobs' leadership, it could be negative publicity for Tim Cook.

Of course, at this point, we don't know what the upgrade could be or when the new iPhone will be released. So, all of this could just be moot. They very well could release a significant upgrade.

Also, the millions of Apple fanbois could very well just buy anything Apple releases, even if there is little improvements; meaning Apple's share price could just keep escalating. We'll see...

23. Reach9 thread starter macrumors 68020

Reach9

Agreed.
    Fortunately, again, I won't be one of them.

24. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I'm saying if they release the 5 shortly after the 4S and don't tell people about the 5, then a lot of people are going to be pretty pissed.

25. disarticulate macrumors regular

I can definitely see this as Apple's spin on a spec bump. "With iOS5, you have access to this amazing camera right from the lock screen."