Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

We've covered what we expect to see from Apple in 2017 based on the rumors that are circulating so far in our recent What to Expect post.

On the horizon are a new iPhone 8 with a radically redesigned body and an edge-to-edge display, a revamped iPad Pro also potentially with an edge-to-edge display, long-awaited iMac updates, and new software, but there's always the chance there's a wildcard update or new product in the works that will surprise us all.

A redesigned Apple TV, a new home hub, and augmented reality smart glasses are all products that are rumored to be in the works with no prospective release date. We want to hear from the MacRumors community -- what are you expecting or hoping to see Apple release in 2017?

2017.jpg

Are there specific features you're hoping Apple will implement in iOS 11, tvOS 11, watchOS 4, or macOS 10.13? Popular wishlist items from last year included a dark mode for iOS, home screen widgets, and a customizable control center.

Let us know what you want to see in the comments, and make sure to check our our What to Expect post for the latest rumors. Apple's plans for 2017 will likely become more clear in the early months of the year, and as always, we'll be covering all of the rumors in-depth here at MacRumors.

The MacRumors forums are also always a rich resource for talking about upcoming products and rumors, and with the biggest iPhone change in years set to happen in 2017, our forums are the place to be for lively discussions.

We'd also like to thank all of our readers and our forum members for making MacRumors the absolute best source for Mac news and advice on the web. We wouldn't be here without you, and we look forward to another rumor-packed year.

Article Link: What Do You Want to See From Apple in 2017?

darkandlong

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2008
Uk
1. A wider variety of dongles at a higher price.

2. A Macbook Pro with only 16 Gig of RAM, but really great battery life that turns out not to have really great battery life. Oh and it should have a touch bar that replaces the top row of keys so I can use it for DJing. Oh and it should be way more expensive.

Suspended
Sep 3, 2016
C̶o̶u̶r̶a̶g̶e̶ Integrity.

Agreed.

Improved Airport routers.

iCloud - 10gb storage

Improved battery for all - at least 16 hours.

32gb ram for MacBook (without touchbar).

4gb ram iPhone rimless - home button to the side like Sony.

8gb ram iPad rimless - home button to side like Sony.

iOS - dark theme, files system app, able to use Chrome Stick or Roku without the need of third party apps, able to upload files via safari, add ringtones without iTunes, able to modify songs for example start time/end time like in iTunes, password for individual apps, guest login, able to use external hard drive, able to access dmg password protected folder, backup idevice on hard drive without the need of the iCloud - needs to be more similar to macOS.

Last edited:

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
-Better stability and fewer bugs with purchased media in iTunes/iCloud. And a return to form of the earlier iOS days when local media on iOS devices was easier to access. I have Apple Music, but I'd rather have my local media front and center rather than dive through menu options to get to a playlist that even on the first iPhone could be accessed quicker.

The new TV app does to the videos section what Apple Music/iCloud does to the music app: offers great features, but overwhelms and makes it harder to access your local videos.

-Split-screen support for Plus models.

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
• New MacBook with Touch Bar & Touch ID at same price point.
• iOS 11 with Dark Mode, customizable control center, tap to wake screen, update stock apps via App Store
• iPhone Mini (4 in.), iPhone Air (5 in) iPhone Pro (5.5 In). Feature parity, IP68 water resistance, wireless (ranged or QI) and fast charging, OLED Display, USB-C charge port or start removing the port for a "wireless" future. Also in stock and readily available at launch, not 4 months out.
• Apple Watch - LTE support, faster, Touch ID unlock
• Siri - Smarter, faster, better voice recognition. Parity with Google Assistant at least. (Yes Siri is better at some things while GA is better at others. I want Siri to be superior.)

okboy

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2010
The Thunderbolt monitor containing an external GPU was too sweet a rumour to easily let fade away. The idea of plugging in a 12 or 13 inch MacBook or MacBook Pro and getting the additional power of say, a Radeon Pro 460, or better yet a Vega-based equivalent, is a dream. Size and battery life on the go, then plug in at home for a huge boost. And if they can somewhat maintain the ~$1,000 price point for the base model (although maybe starting at 21"), there would be no hesitation.

Rather than see a Google Home or Amazon Echo-like device from Apple, I'd like them to merge the  TV and Airport products. A $399 living room device that does all your routing and Time Machine back ups, also with an HDMI out to act as an  TV. Sadly, I don't think it will happen.

And for all these device, the  TV, iMac, Cinema Display and hypothetical  Home, they need to think about wireless charging. Hopefully they can build wireless power emitters into these common household products of theirs.

Lastly, the price of the MacBook needs to finally drop to 13" MacBook Air levels, and pick up another USB-C port.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
They just updated their laptops, so hoping for a new one designed for people who actually use them for work is unrealistic... so I'll save that for the next time around.

What I'd like to see from Apple in 2017 is some indication that they realize "thinner and lighter" doesn't have to be a mantra which trumps everything else - that sometimes utility is more important than Ive's aesthetic "sensibility".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.