Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theaudioguy

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2010
It is the same as what makes one person like a different Car MFG over another. Everyone has their own opinion and preferences, some folks just are Apple and Jobs haters so they will bash the iPhone, but as for me, I could not wait to leave Verizon and their phone selection and make the move to AT&T, and it has been over 2 years now. I have no issues with the phone just because it works, also AT&T's customer service is 1000X better then Verizon for ME, not for everyone as I know there have been folks who left AT&T for VZ.

The biggest turn off of Android for me is like a Windows PC, OS built by one company, PC built by another and they never seem to play well together. I would hate to buy an Atrix (even though I was looking into them) as my friend purchased one and got this Blockbuster Video app which is useless and can not be removed, and he said the OS locks up and battery life was poor.

I like the integration with my MacBook and iTunes, and for me it works, but I know a Co Worker who has a Droid X and root'd it and it works perfect according to him, so to each their own, as I have nothing nasty to say about Android because I did not own one and once I bought my iPhone 3G, I was hooked on the iPhone in general.

I agree. I am a new smartphone owner and after playing with the iPhone 4 and the Samsung Captivate, I fell in love with the Samsung and Android. I'm all things Apple but in this case, Samsung and Android suit me better. To each his own.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
I dont think we can really compare samsungs latest mobile running on android with last years's apple iphone 4.

Lets wait till the new iphone 5 comes or iphone 4gs and then make comparisons.

ImperialX

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I dont think we can really compare samsungs latest mobile running on android with last years's apple iphone 4.

Lets wait till the new iphone 5 comes or iphone 4gs and then make comparisons.

And I will laugh when the 1.2GHz Exynos in the SGS2 still lay waste to the A5 which will be in whatever iPhone comes out later this year. :cool:

s.hasan546

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
NY
im sorry but while i do love android, i can't ever get one again until they fix my main issue with them. Battery life. My iphone gets better battery than any droid ive tried, and ive tried every droid almost.

Also samsung UI sucks balls. I hate touchwiz. The fascinate was the worst droid ive tried yet. Always froze when trying to do simple tasks like make phone calls.

ImperialX

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
im sorry but while i do love android, i can't ever get one again until they fix my main issue with them. Battery life. My iphone gets better battery than any droid ive tried, and ive tried every droid almost.

Also samsung UI sucks balls. I hate touchwiz. The fascinate was the worst droid ive tried yet. Always froze when trying to do simple tasks like make phone calls.

That's why you get spare batteries for $20 each. They are 1800 mAh and better than the iphone.

Also, you should get root and gery stock Android, or use a custom rom.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
List of benefits of iPhone over Droids:

1. Looks Better
2. Instant response (zero delay)
3. Web browsing looks better and has instant response.
4. Checking email looks better and has instant response.
5. Using the phone app looks better and has instant response.
6. Writing reminder notes looks better and has instant response.
7. Checking maps looks better and has instant response.
8. Reading ebooks looks better and has instant response.
9. Managing photos looks better and has instant response.
10. Checking your calendar looks better and has instant response.
11. Infinity Blade

ImperialX

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
Tokyo, Japan

1. Looks Better
11. Infinity Blade

You're almost as bad as Appslover.

/headdesk

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
You are trashing iOS right now, Seriously I have a Samsung Galaxy S (not the SGS II) and the experience is way inferior than with a 1st Gen iPhone, the PC Apps still suck, there are no apps for Mac and nothing feels completely baked (even on the SGS II). It's an okay phone, it's a great one but the best (in my opinion) is still the iPhone.

Waiting for iPhone 5/4G/4S

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008

I have an HTC Inspire with a tiny 1230mAh battery and I usually get home with around 45% battery left. That's with moderate usage texting, a little gaming, a lot of browsing, twitter, facebook, etc. I've never had it die on me during the day. I was a bit worried because of the horror stories about battery life but I have no complaints.

YMark

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2008
Arizona
I have a Samsung Vibrant and can't wait to get rid of the POS. Battery life is dreadful and the OS (custom ROM) is still very green. I have a Touch and using IOS is much more pleasant than using Android. Changing ROMs, themes, etc is a huge PITA. Widgets? Overrated and battery hogs. I can look outside and see if it's raining.

The only reason I don't have an iPhone is because I'm on contract with TMO. ATT sucks where I live and Verizon didn't have the iPhone when I renewed my TMO contract.

ImperialX

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I have a Samsung Vibrant and can't wait to get rid of the POS. Battery life is dreadful and the OS (custom ROM) is still very green. I have a Touch and using IOS is much more pleasant than using Android. Changing ROMs, themes, etc is a huge PITA. Widgets? Overrated and battery hogs. I can look outside and see if it's raining.

All those reasons are true for your handset, but certainly not for mine. xD

Bottom line: if you pay as much for an Android phone as an unlocked iphone. It's bound to be at least just as good. If you paid less, what you get is what you pay for.

People trash android because they've only seen the cheap handsets. Not a very fair comparison.

YMark

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2008
Arizona

Bottom line: if you pay as much for an Android phone as an unlocked iphone. It's bound to be at least just as good. If you paid less, what you get is what you pay for.

Really? I'm not familiar with the GT-I9100, but please answer this:

- when you flash a new ROM, do you have to put back and re-arrange all previous screen setups (widgets, etc)?
- restore email accounts
- reset battery statistics

I fail to see why these "chores" would be any different based on the type of hardware.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

1. Looks Better
11. Infinity Blade

Everything you wrote is personal preference. When you start using words like looks better, that means it looks better for you.

I think maps, ebooks, photos is better on android.

Depending on the app you use, email can be better but to be honest, I do like iOS's mail app over android's. I have no idea what Infinity Blade is, I assume a game. I generally don't buy a phone because of what games is available, that's just me.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
Everything you wrote is personal preference. When you start using words like looks better, that means it looks better for you.

I think maps, ebooks, photos is better on android.

Depending on the app you use, email can be better but to be honest, I do like iOS's mail app over android's. I have no idea what Infinity Blade is, I assume a game. I generally don't buy a phone because of what games is available, that's just me.

No, they are principles of design. It's not my opinion that the majority of reviewers rave about the iPhone, it's design, and the engineering principles at Apple. That's not just me saying that.

It's not even the design of the app but rather the response time of the OS and how the closed system behaves at a, still as of this writing, more responsive and perfect speed. It's like a 10th of a millisecond vs what feels like a whole second almost. This compounds into every app.

Maps on a iOS + retina > maps on a duller screen with slower response despite the design of the "insides" of the app. It's that outer polished layer over everything on the iPhone that is reason enough to argue that every app on iPhone is better than every app on Android just because of this behavior and design principle.

I will know exactly when Android is finally on par with design and overall smoothness, and I will be honest about it, (as easy as walking into a local phones store every cpl months and handling the displays) but until then it's the same old story.

Last edited:

marshzd

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2011
After SGII was released, it seems that the iPhone is actually killed this time.

People say the android is laggy, sg2 proves wrong
people say iphone has the best screen, sg2 prevails again BY A LONG SHOT
people say iphone has the best camera, sg2 gets 1080p recording
people say flash destroys the browser experience, sg2 dual core proves wrong
people say sg2 is ugly with plastic, yet very few americans have actually seen and or felt one. THIS WILL BE ABLE TO WITHSTAND A 5 FOOT FALL ONTO THE CARPET AND NOT SHATTER

the only thing that is arguementative right now is the appstore. But now android has NFS, asphalt, angry birds-3 (regular, season, rio), fatbooth, etc.

and btw, i have an iphone and always will. The only thing iphone has going for it is the status symbol. That truly is the only reason i still and always will have mine. Stop bashing android, its grown exponentially to where it is even with the iphone. The tablets for android suck, dont bring those up.

So what you're saying is that nearly 3/4 of a year after the iPhone 4, Samsung finally released a device that beats it - but still has a hefty price tag - and that a new iPhone is just around the corner?

That's what iOS has on the competition. They play catch up. Sure, they come out with a device that's better...Shortly before a new Apple Device is released (best example of this so far: Xoom and iPad 2).

Also, flash still sucks on ALL mobile devices unless it's a MOBILE FLASH site. "Real" flash sites still do not work very well, even on the SG2.

When you start using words like looks better, that means it looks better for you.

While that is preference, there is also a professional attitude surrounding this. I am a Post Production Supervisor for 2 television shows. I prefer an iPhone to Droid specifically (haven't compared many of the other devices) because the iPhone has more truer whites than the Droid does. This lets me show a video the way I intend it to be seen on my mobile device when giving a quick preview.

On the Droid, I've had several people say, "There's some of an orange or yellow tinge to the footage, is that bad white balance? Can you fix that?" and it has nothing to do with the video, it has to do with the screen.

http://usingapple.com/img/EVO_4G_vs._iPhone_4_vs._Droid_X-20100704-223637.jpg
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...1&ndsp=31&ved=1t:429,r:6,s:0&biw=1412&bih=718

Hold the phones side by side, you can see the difference. But I provided a picture reference just to give you a couple samples.

Last edited by a moderator:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
No, they are principles of design. It's not my opinion that the majority of reviewers rave about the iPhone, it's design, and the engineering principles at Apple. That's not just me saying that.
See that's where others disagree, so while you state they're principles of design. I'll counter that with stating that others prefer android's. So while say it looks better, others will say android's apps look better.

Like I said I think google maps, ebooks, photos looks better on android then iOS. That's my personal opinion, just like you posted that maps, ebooks, photos look better on iOS.

marshzd

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2011
See that's where others disagree, so while you state they're principles of design. I'll counter that with stating that others prefer android's. So while say it looks better, others will say android's apps look better.

Like I said I think google maps, ebooks, photos looks better on android then iOS. That's my personal opinion, just like you posted that maps, ebooks, photos look better on iOS.

I'd just like to point out that some opinions are more valid than others...I don't know what evidence there is to support either one of the claims here. But if design professionals say the iPhone or Droid is better designed, you can have an opinion opposite of that, but I'm likely to listen to the professional.

And that's not always the best idea, sometimes the "pros" are wrong (Bill Gates said the iPad wasn't that great, and Ballmer - who everyone should believe the opposite of what he says - said it's stupid and won't sell).

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010

Your sense of American Equalitarianism is noted sir.

I see what your saying: some say toe-may-to, some say toe-mah-to. I get it.

We are all equals. Nobody is better than anyone at the risk of hurting the feelings of those that are inferior while selfishly robbing those who are superior of their advantages so one can feel better and more secure about themselves. It's the ideal way, yes. (unless The Incredibles is to be considered (yes I know I went wayy over all your heads there, tearing at the very fabric of Americana)).

All I'm saying is that nobody ever actually says to-mah-to do they? And nobody actually argues that Androids are snappier, more polished, and smoother than iPhone. They argue specs, flash and widgets. Never smoothness.

gks

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2010
Thats not very hard when you only sell one model of phone a year, lol

Not talking about phone consistency. Talking about OS consistency. Since that is the damn topic... "iOS vs Android" not "iPhone vs Some Android Device."

Helps to be observant

s.hasan546

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
NY
That's why you get spare batteries for $20 each. They are 1800 mAh and better than the iphone.

Also, you should get root and gery stock Android, or use a custom rom.

ehhh i hate carrying separate batterys and worry about charging them; etc. Iphone gets me through one full work day with no problem. i email heavily, sms, call a lot, stream iheart radio for 2 hrs a day, and use gps intermittently.

You're almost as bad as Appslover.

/headdesk

Agreed. I hate fanboys of all kinds.

I have an HTC Inspire with a tiny 1230mAh battery and I usually get home with around 45% battery left. That's with moderate usage texting, a little gaming, a lot of browsing, twitter, facebook, etc. I've never had it die on me during the day. I was a bit worried because of the horror stories about battery life but I have no complaints.

i use it a lot more. lots of texting, 100 emails a day at least, 2 hours of music streaming, atleast 2 hours of phone calls.

People trash android because they've only seen the cheap handsets. Not a very fair comparison.

Ive tried every single droid on verizon from the vortex to the droid charge. You can't compare the SG II to U.S phones since once they go through the carriers they are never the same. that being said the HTC incredible 2 is the only droid i would consider right now. It's the same thing as the iphone with a bigger screen and slightly thinner. I love the phone, however, im waiting for the iphone 4s/5 until i make a decision.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
While that is preference, there is also a professional attitude surrounding this. I am a Post Production Supervisor for 2 television shows. I prefer an iPhone to Droid specifically (haven't compared many of the other devices) because the iPhone has more truer whites than the Droid does. This lets me show a video the way I intend it to be seen on my mobile device when giving a quick preview.

On the Droid, I've had several people say, "There's some of an orange or yellow tinge to the footage, is that bad white balance? Can you fix that?" and it has nothing to do with the video, it has to do with the screen.

Oh come on. White balance between iPhones has jumped all over the place. Neither platform can claim any great consistency there. Even the iPhone 4, which has a much colder screen than the 3GS, is fairly warm compared to the 2G.

Phazer

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.