what features do you hope to see in OS X 10.6

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dudeofblokes, Mar 13, 2008.

1. dudeofblokes macrumors regular

carrickfergus, northern ireland, united kingdom
    if you could add anything to the next big cat from apple what would it be????

Personally i love leopard and the new look dock and trans menu bar and menus but it would be nice to give everyone the choose of this, yes i know there are choices in leopard but not for the the menus

also i would love to be able to postition icon text to the left of icons.

perhaps maybe a change of appearance for windows, not just colours darkened but something fresh.

what would you like?

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Better business features (including Exchange support).
    Cocoa for Web applications.

3. smilinmonki666 macrumors regular

semi-transparency for windows would be nice, thats the only thing I can think of right now...

4. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

My wishlist, I'll keep adding as they come to mind:

1. I use column view when navigating the Finder, and I wish that the columns would automatically expand in width to the length of the longest file name.
    2. FTP read/write support in the Finder would be great.
    3. The ability to turn off secondary displays (put to sleep, not just turned black) during games would be great.
    4. Sandboxed Wine with DX9 support (One can hope).
    5. The ability to hide boot camp partitions alone.
    6. Stacks as they were originally intended. Selecting multiple items in the Finder and dragging them to the dock, creating a custom stack.
    7. Resolution independence.
    8. ZFS for external drives
    9. Open source codec/container support in Quicktime 8
    10. The ability to be able to create a stack out of a spotlite search that automatically updates when you click it.
    11. Make it an option to get rid of the Dock separator and be able to place Apps, Documents, Folders, whatever you want, wherever you want in the Dock.
    12. The ability to drag Apps into the Menu bar for quick access, like the Gnome menu bar on Linux.
    13. Folder icons that reflect on the files that are stored inside of them.
    14. Option to show hidden files in Finder preferences.
    15. A "Minimal" mode for Time Machine, so the fans don't have to spin up every time you open it.

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

If the only new feature is Exchange support for iCal, I'll be there day one.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Sounds horrible, far too Vista for my tastes.

And a redone iCal would be nice too, though I'm not sure which calendars are better.

Those all would be really good.

7. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

8. portent macrumors 6502a

Already available since Mac OS X 10.0 (and used, for example, in the Terminal) but just not practical for most apps, which is why no developers use it. Like the translucent menu bars: all show and no benefit.

It was called "WebObjects" and was very popular for a while (even Dell used it) before J2EE and the like, but nobody except Apple uses it anymore.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Yeah but redone in Objective C, a bit like ASP.NET (but actually good).

10. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

I can't believe that resolution independent UI hasn't been mentioned yet. That would really be nice.

11. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

That too. Didn't think of that one.

12. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Most of the stuff I want is reasonably possible for future 10.5 updates, such as better accessibility options (like larger Finder Sidebar text).

I would like the option of deleting only certain files from Trash, and restoring files to their original location.

Pressing shift while on Caps Lock should bring a letter to lowercase.
    It is an option for Newsfire.

13. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

I was always kind of hoping for that before 10.6 :(

14. heatmiser macrumors 68020

DPI scaling has existed since 2001 in Windows XP. Maybe someday it'll make it to OS X.

15. dudeofblokes thread starter macrumors regular

but.....

yeah that would be nice id have thought by now they would have added it

16. mason.kramer macrumors 6502

mason.kramer

Improved Finder that is
    1) Fast (e.g., able to enumerate and batch operate on files quickly)
    2) Able to manipulate all of the unix flags on a file
    3) Create symlinks
    4) Display hidden files
    5) Has a sidebar that I can tab into for keyboard navigation
    6) In general, more attention paid to keyboard navigability

Time Machine that can back up an encrypted FileVault sparebundle while a user is logged in.

True virtual desktop functionality (stacks is nice for window clutter, but is not really a virtual desktop system).

The end of .DS_Store

17. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Download MainMenu and there is an option to show "invisibles."

Attached Files:

18. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

Unlikely. It would kill off too many FTP clients, like Transmit. Would be nice, though. Maybe Apple could buy something like Transmit and integrate it? That would be good for everyone.

That would be great. That way we'll be able to have a true Applications stack where we keep the apps we use every now and then, rather than just a random selection of apps that it displays.

Unrelated, but on the Quicktime note, how about Quicktime pro integrated? We already pay X amount for a Mac, we should get Quicktime Pro for free... Even if it doesn't appeal to everyone, there are aspects that a lot of people would use.

That actually sounds brilliant but more like something they should include in 10.5.x not 10.6... as are a lot of stack related-suggestions in this topic.

Emphasis on option. I like the way it's separated, myself. But it would be nice to see more options. And a gap placer so we can divide our apps into sections, say, a "fun" section, "work" section, "hobby section", etc.

There's something like that on Windows, I think. It's ok but the dock is better for that.

I like the sound of that. While people will argue that they need functionality, not eye candy, a lot of people WANT eye candy.

That would be good. It's quite annoying having to delete everything because some things you don't want to delete yet, but want in the deletion queue, etc.

And various Adium themes. Quicksilver, too... if I'm thinking of what you guys are talking about.

19. hookem12387 macrumors 6502

Most of these sound pretty awesome

20. steerpikegg macrumors member

Resource Forks

Please for the love of God can we get rid of the resource forks.

These archaic little buggers are the root of 99% of problems with copying files to NAS etc I'm sure.

Those and the Finder - copying files to servers and offline storage from OS X is so flaky that I just can't trust it anymore. Error 36 - pah!!

OS X is a beautiful system but honestly I have never used an OS where fundamentals like file copying and management are so unreliable.

Also, it would be nice to be able to use time machine to back up some of my network volumes - networking in *nix is supposed to be virtually transparent with mounted volumes treated like local files no?

21. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

22. dudeofblokes thread starter macrumors regular

?

whats that?

23. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

The rumoured black-based theme.

24. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

1. Cut
    2. Restore from Trash (not undelete but restore to original location)
    3. iCal to move back to how it was in Tiger with the information window

Those are the three that I can think of straight away but there are probably loads more.