What food do you miss?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by comictimes, Mar 26, 2008.

1. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

For those of you who are away from home, or living in a different area than where you were born, what foods do you miss and crave?

I live in California, but go to school in Massachusetts, and every time I come back here I start craving burritos within weeks (if there are any sold on this coast i wouldn't trust them...). So tonight I went ahead and made my own burritos and, with the exception of tortillas that were too small (the largest I could find in the store were about 10" across. So sad) they were fantastic. Made me so happy.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Good, authentic German food. (Not that I'm from Germany; I'm just accustomed to it because of my German heritage.)

3. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

I lived in Buffalo for three years, and I miss really good buffalo wings-- I have had local ones where I live now, but they are not as good as Duff's.:D

4. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Good, authentic Indian food.

Just nothing around in Orange County.

Enough authentic Japanese food to keep me happy, though.

irmongoose

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Breast milk. Moving over to cow's milk just isn't the same, and soy milk don't have the quality tits that cow's are naturally endowed with. So fake.

I still like soy milk, though. Squeeze a soy sometimes. *honk honk*

Oh, and there's no deer/venison in Australia. All they have is kangaroo meat. They have a lot more Korean food in Sydney, and since it's my favourite food, I guess I'm better off than before. I don't actually live in Sydney though. :eek:

6. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

I can't find a single good Mexican food place in Tokyo (Im not mexican though...)

Also good lebanese food is not that big either...

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

White Castle. The town I live in doesn't have any :(

8. huntnboy04 macrumors regular

9. TheQuestion macrumors regular

No one in Alaska can make greek food to save their skins. There are some valiant, but futile efforts.

10. Crawn2003 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

I'm from Dayton, Ohio but there is a place in Yellow Springs, Ohio called Youngs Dairy. They've been there forever serving real homemade ice cream and a full restaurant.

At the restaurant they have a sandwich called a buttermilk ranch sandwich and sweet potato bread with real butter. In California I can't find anything like it...

*sigh*

~Crawn

11. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Don't get me started. :(

(I'm a californian living in london, england. It's a long ways from lot of the foods I know and love)

*Simple stuff:

Big jars of peanut butter and variety of.
    Bigger cereal isles. (the variety here is appalling. I miss Chex, Honey Bunches of Oats, Trix, Fruity Pebbles, Count Chocula, etc etc etc etc etc)
    Burritos and mexican food in general.
    Bread that isn't stupidly heavy/gross.
    SOURDOUGH bread.
    Cinnamon gum

Silly chains like:

Baja Fresh
    In N Out Burger
    The Cheesecake Factory
    PF Changs

Coldstone Creamery

I can't even think about it anymore. Yeah there's good food here too but it's lacking SO much of what I really crave.

*yeah, some of these things you can find here but not easily.

12. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

I love Baja! I got coldstone in japan ;)

13. shikimo macrumors 6502

There is no good Mexican food in Tokyo...I've looked and looked. Not even a good market in which to buy the basics. Very little good french food either.

Truth is, 'french' food (by that I collectively mean all the food french people regularly eat, very little of which is traditionally french, whatever that term means anyway) is so good, varied and interesting that I don't miss too much in the way of food, but there are a few things:

--Campbell's tomato soup (for cooking, not eating straight)

--Dr. Pepper (there's a store that imports it but they charge 2.50EU per 33cl can!!!)

--all mexican food (not much better than Tokyo)

--affordable quality sushi (it's around but 10X the price it should be)

--banana peppers (the spicy kind, often pickled)

--good American-style coffee shops (we just got our first Starbucks in Lyon, as if that is a good example...but there aren't any others)

--hoppy American microbrew, Portland or Seattle or Denver-style.

And if we wanna go way back, I miss freshly-caught lake fish from clean Minnesota lakes :(.

When I leave here, the list of things I will miss will be much, much longer.

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I miss half-loaves of bread from London, and Ciabatta bread. It's at Sainsbury's and Tescos. Safeway and others may have it. I don't know. I love that bread, and it's not just available everywhere like it is where you are.

You have some great things, but you can't have it all. ;)

15. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

but I want it all, damn it!

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I want cheese curd and gravy on all my chips (fries). Damnit Canada, export!! Their economy doesn't have to be based on natural resources. Poutines are also in demand worldwide. :eek:

17. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

American (denver) bread is AWFUL! How can you miss it?
    The little mexican food places I have found are Just crapola. But I have to disagree with you, I have found some good french food right by my house! And the bakeries here arent bad! Most food in Japan is usually pretty good. Pizza Salvatore(spelling?) is great and so is West Park Cafe (It is a chain of 3-4 and all of them are very different! Not once have the foods tasted the same at other places)

I really crave something as simple as Spicy Pickle in America though...They are some high quality sandwiches.

18. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

^ you don't know what you got till it's gone sometimes. I've never had bread in denver before but the sandwich I had in Aspen was pretty rockin'. <shrug>

19. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

Whats wrong with getting 4 jars of Sun-Pat instead? Whats wrong with our 4 varieties? I saw a cashew peanut butter the other day at Asda. Thats 5,.
    Just mix and match with Cheerios, Coco-Pops, Crunchy Nut, and Honey Puffs. Add Marshmellows if you're feeling flush. And mayube the odd fizzy cola bottle if you're feeling crazy.
    Yup, you're screwed here.
    Goto a proper baker, they'll have some. Good bakeries everywhere, 2 of my favourites are in Brick Lane. Might do sourbread even.
    No luck. I'm hoping my misseapolis friend will bring me another box of Hot Tamales when he comes over. I love them.

In times of trouble and despair you;ve just got to be creative. Feel for my Minneapolis friend- he's been there for 3 years, and cant get a decent cup of tea, or Marmite.

20. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

but Marmite is easily shipped, as so is tea! Here is the length of my pity for his strife: [ ---- ] :p

I almost forgot about Hot Tamales! Damn you!

Need to go to a bakery, but it's not as easy as just finding it casually in a grocery store, of course. I <3 sourdough.

as for the cereal suggestions...

http://upc.*************/uploads/smilies/barf.gif

but thanks :p

21. nikopolidis macrumors regular

I remember my holiday in Croatia with my parents. It was about 7 years ago. There was delicious grilled fish such as Dorada and Seabus. Sometimes I miss that food.
    Another one is French. I like their famous Fondu and Racklette. Miss these ones as well... :eek:

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Chocolate Fondue at Haagen-Daazin Hong Kong. I haven't seen them at the stores in other countries, although I'm sure it probably exists at other Haagen-Daaz'. Meh, if you can buy it somewhere in the world, you can probably find it in Hong Kong.

That thing cost like $40 though.

23. MacHipster macrumors 6502

Mexican (I miss Lalo's)
    Various Chicago-style pizza (Stuffed, Deep Dish, Pan, Thin)
    Wendy's (Spicy Chicken Sandwich)
    American Family Diner-fare

British Foods that I'll miss when I retuen to the States: :confused:
    :D

24. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

Bertoli red pesto before it was "new and improved"

I need to get around to trying to make the stuff myself.

25. Lunja macrumors 6502

Lunja

It's a shame you can't get Corn Dogs in the UK- what's not to love about a frankfurter wrapped in cake?! :cool:

I'm with Abstract though - Poutines are awesome! But you can keep your perogies...