What If There Is No 7S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nviz22, Aug 2, 2017.

1. nviz22 macrumors 68040

nviz22

Hypothetically, what if Apple made one iPhone 8+ with all the rumored feature of the iPhone OLED model and another iPhone 8 with the features of the 8+ minus wireless charging, OLED screen, dual cameras, RAM, Face ID, etc? Wouldn't that be better? Or have 3 models already been confirmed?

2. craigio85 macrumors regular

3 models are rumoured (by analysts and insiders with a good track record of getting things right)...

But, I've seen zero compelling evidence for this. And I don't think there's any logical, financial or marketing reason to have incremental refreshes of the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus - they are essentially a second refresh of the iPhone 6 as it is. The existing models are perfectly serviceable as the lower-price option.

Not sure what you mean by 8+. That certainly isn't rumoured for this year.

3. Dented macrumors 6502a

I agree it sounds odd that there would be a 7S and an 8 in the same year. As you say the 7 was essentially a 6SS in any case, to make yet another iterative update to the iPhone 6 in 2017 at the same time as finally launching a whole new design seems peculiar and un-apple like. Unless that is the iPhone 8 is going to be so incredibly expensive that it simply won't do the numbers by itself..

4. RtWrecklezX macrumors member

RtWrecklezX

If there is none Apple will lose a huge market space to competitors. Not everyone is willing to pay a 1000 dollars plus for an 8.

5. nviz22 thread starter macrumors 68040

nviz22

What if there is no $1000 iPhone and there are only $750 and $850 ones?

6. michael9891 macrumors 6502a

You seriously think they'll be no iPhone 8 / more advanced oled model?

7. nviz22 thread starter macrumors 68040

nviz22

No, what I asked was what if the OLED model is the iPhone 8+ and the supposed 7S is the regular 8.

8. chilman macrumors regular

chilman

After the rumors have been talked abt it daily abt the next iphones, and not hear or see much leaks anywhere abt the 7S. I have a feeling the 7S may not be produced. The 8 will have a few models. And after that it goes to continue with the 8S onward. It's just my guess. Others may hv different opinion, right??

9. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

It does seem weird, especially because there were leaks about the iPhone 6s, so why not the 7s? Surely there has to be even a small differentiator from the 7 such as the "S" from the back of the 6s.

10. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

With the latest leaks, the 7S is all but confirmed. Not really a hypothetical any longer.

11. Infiniverse48 macrumors 6502a

Only one word you need to consider:

Supply

12. nviz22 thread starter macrumors 68040

nviz22

I prefer no 7S myself. Having a 8+ and 8 works for me with the 8+ being about $850 or so, but it's possible with 3 iPhones including a $1000 model sadly. There should be some financing options at least so I can trade in my SE towards the iPhone OLED model.

13. craigio85 macrumors regular

You can't suppress demand with a different product. If all of the marketing buzz is around the redesigned, OLED iPhone, that's where the pre-orders will be. Nobody's going to sigh and say "oh it'll take a couple of months to get one, so I'll just downgrade my purchase to that cheaper new iPhone that's identical to the one I already have instead". There's always more demand than supply at iPhone launches and I tend to believe that this years rumours have blown that out of proportion.

14. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

It is not just another year, it is the iPhone anniversary year. I see no problem in the 7S, 7S+ and 8 arriving at the same time. All rumors are pointing to this.

The 8 may not be for everyone. It will cost a good bit more and not everyone will be able to afford or even want to pay that much for a phone. Apple is giving us choice, use it.

15. Dented macrumors 6502a

Sorry but the anniversary is surely all the more reason for Apple to present a no-compromise new vision for the iPhone (i.e. iPhone 8) that people can actually buy as THE new iPhone.

The idea that the iPhone 8 will essentially be some kind of rare special edition for the super rich, and the hoi polloi will be expected to settle for just another warmed over serving of the iPhone 6's corpse, seems very depressing to me and an odd way to end the decade.

16. Infiniverse48, Aug 3, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2017

Infiniverse48 macrumors 6502a

Nope you're still not getting it.

The premium iPhone does not have adequate supply. Therefore it starts at around $999. When a smartphone starts around $999, far, far fewer people will be looking to buy it. This purposefully diminishes demand so it's more in line with supply, and when you do this you then must release the 7s and 7s Plus at the typical prices so that the tens of millions of people who can't afford or do not want to afford the premium iPhone, have something else that has new features to go out and buy.

That's the strategy end of story, and it makes sense.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 3, 2017 ---
    When you have a device that costs far more to make with far lower yields and availability, you have to up the price substantially in order to tamper demand so you don't have a supply:demand ratio that is catastrophically imbalanced. If they released that phone and it was anywhere near current base prices then they would have tens of millions of furious customers because they would not be able to get one because there wouldn't be one available for them.

I mean ultimately it's incredibly simple, I'm not sure how people don't get it

17. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Prepared to be depressed.

The special edition will not just be for the super rich, just like the 7+ is being enjoyed by all segments of society. $220-$300 additional cost will not stop many who want the device.

You sounds a bit on the bitter side. There will always be people who have both more or less than you. The rich tends to be the people who employ others. Few work for an unemployed street person.

I will continue to trust Apple and their marketing. My iPhone stock makes me smile every time I check on it!

18. Dented macrumors 6502a

Please don't patronise me, I'm not expecting apple to be charitable and I'm not "bitter" about anything, I just think this would be a poor business move from Apple and not much of a way to celebrate their best product.

At the end of the day there's nothing proposed for the 8 that other companies haven't already brought to the mass market at lower prices. Apple have had years to catch up on features like OLED screens etc and strike competitive deals to source them in the required numbers. To me, for them to be reserving those as super premium features in 2017, just makes the iPhone line as a whole just seem out of date.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 3, 2017 ---
    It may seem simple, but simple isn't always right. Honestly I think if this is Apple's strategy, it will backfire. All the hype and marketing already is about the iPhone 8, that screen, the new design. Few people will be happy to settle for the 7S no matter how much more cost effective it may be for Apple to manufacture - especially when they can already get many of the headline features of the iPhone 8 elsewhere.

19. Infiniverse48 macrumors 6502a

Let's leave the business to the people who know business.

P.S. The iPhone 8 has numerous technologies never seen in a smartphone before. Let's do two for you: L shaped battery, and multi-stacked logic board

20. Dented macrumors 6502a

That's the best you could do? Two technologies that the end customer will never see or appreciate in the slightest?

21. Infiniverse48 macrumors 6502a

You don't need to see technology to have to benefit you enormously. The best technology is invisible.

22. JustJoshua macrumors member

Looking into the crystal ball I foresee an iPhone 7s a 7s plus and an iphone pro. That is if there are really 3 to be released.

23. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I see the same. Maybe even an updated SE with more memory or new CPU.

24. RtWrecklezX macrumors member

RtWrecklezX

If there is only one model that would be great because all iPhones moving forward would include the technology. Apple could give back to its loyal consumers buy taking the loss on the 10th anniversary. They do have billions in cash and are not spending it in mergers and acquisitions or other technology advancements. This is a very unlikely scenario because apple is a business and has shareholders to please.

25. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Like I said, I would leave the marketing up to Apple and not you.

They seem to have been "somewhat" successful at it.

I trust that Apple knows what it is doing.