Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grimslade

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2008
If they are giving out $150 credits, wasting phone reps time, going through the return process etc, I would think it would just be cheaper to upgrade everyone to the 2.4...

Maybe I'm just crazy though.

That, or living in dreamland.

hungryghost

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2008
I called and got a credit of $75 back on my credit card. Not $150 that people are getting but better then nothing :)

I got a $100 refund. I'm pissed now that I see others $150 back. One guy even got a free upgrade to the 2.4Ghz (if we believe him). Well I guess $100 is better than nothing since they technically didn't have to give me anything.

ibrahima

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2008
Don't you think Apple should give their sales reps correct information?

yeah i did edit my post as you were replying and developed my point a bit more, i work on the phones (for a completely unrelated company) and see more wrong information given out than right information some days. i wonder if apple outsources their call centres too...

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
This is a customer relations issue, not a legal one. Even if Apple could enforce their small print, it would be dumb for them to try. If they're smart, they will try to make their customers happy -- since it was their screw-up which caused the confusion.

Andrew K.

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
Just got off the phone with the Apple Rep , my order was already sent , I complained to the poor unsuspecting woman on the phone :) but I got a $200 credit for my next order in which I will send my 2.0 back to get the 2.4 w/ backlit keyboard and other extras, and the student discount on a 2.4Ghz Macbook is $100 , so I basically got upgraded for FREE :D leaving the 2.4GHz price at $1299!

surfdog_2005

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2005
Seems it depends on who you reach at Apple. Some people are getting upgrades or $150 back, some are getting nothing but free postage to return their notebook. I called and was offered a free laptop case. After looking at some in their online store I stated my concern that they were not the correct dimensions for the new laptops. They credited me $50 so I can get one at a later date. Guess that's better than nothing but not as much as others are getting. I knew the 2.0 didn't have a backlit keyboard, but was surprised it was listed when I ordered. It's not a big deal to me. I guess the extra $50 makes up for the reduced educational discount.

PinkHappy

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2008
Just got off the phone with the Apple Rep , my order was already sent , I complained to the poor unsuspecting woman on the phone :) but I got a $200 credit for my next order in which I will send my 2.0 back to get the 2.4 w/ backlit keyboard and other extras, and the student discount on a 2.4Ghz Macbook is $100 , so I basically got upgraded for FREE :D leaving the 2.4GHz price at $1299!

Nice! Now I wish I had ordered one yesterday.

hungryghost

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2008

I wish I saw these posts before I called this morning. I only got $100, but I guess that's ok since they technically didn't have to give anything. But damn, you got a pretty sweet deal!

surfdog_2005

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2005
I wish I saw these posts before I called this morning. I only got $100, but I guess that's ok since they technically didn't have to give anything. But damn, you got a pretty sweet deal!

Hey, I feel the same but I only got $50! I guess you have to look at it as an extra bonus whatever you got. Some called and were offered nothing. My educational discount just went back up to $100. I'll take that and wait for my new notebook to arrive tomorrow. No reason to be upset - won't solve anything. Apple should get their act together, though.

yozh

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2008
Look it doesnt matter what the keynote said or anything else. If you order and your order states in the shopping cart

znlfj1p2m2.JPG

Then this is not a typo, this went thru 3 screens and its false advertising and wrongful purchase or rather bait and switch....

ec51

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2008
Look it doesnt matter what the keynote said or anything else. If you order and your order states in the shopping cart

znlfj1p2m2.JPG

Then this is not a typo, this went thru 3 screens and its false advertising and wrongful purchase or rather bait and switch....

Again see my prior post here, and wth is a wrongful purchase?

drewster

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2008
Just called, same boat, bought 2.0 on the knowledge that the specs said backlight. Rep confirmed with me, that infact it would have it. (This info is suspect at this point.)

However, I am from Ontario Canada, and if anyone else is also in the same situation, I have done some Legal Research into the, Electronic Commerce Act, 2000, S.O. 2000, CHAPTER 17, and the applicability of such contracts, and the disclaimer.
I am law student, and will run this case past a prof if my response from apple is anything less than compliance with the contract made. There is some relevant case law in terms of 'battle of forms' that I think is applicable in this case in regards to apple's terms - the jurisprudence seems to support that they need to bring to attention at the time of the contract that the reserve the right to make errors.
Anyways, will keep you posted of how this is resolved.

Munitalp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
Well I meant to say when you think you purchasing 1 thing, but getting another.

It was just a mistake that some Apple employee made and I am sure they're now paying for it... I wouldn't really go as far to call it a "bait and switch"

ec51

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2008
Just called, same boat, bought 2.0 on the knowledge that the specs said backlight. Rep confirmed with me, that infact it would have it. (This info is suspect at this point.)

However, I am from Ontario Canada, and if anyone else is also in the same situation, I have done some Legal Research into the, Electronic Commerce Act, 2000, S.O. 2000, CHAPTER 17, and the applicability of such contracts, and the disclaimer.
I am law student, and will run this case past a prof if my response from apple is anything less than compliance with the contract made. There is some relevant case law in terms of 'battle of forms' that I think is applicable in this case in regards to apple's terms - the jurisprudence seems to support that they need to bring to attention at the time of the contract that the reserve the right to make errors.

Not sure what year you are in Law School or how they do things up there in Canada - but Contracts 101; you should learn about an adhesion contract, which this is. By accepting the T&O of purchasing online you accept the term that Apple reserves the right to cancel any order due to a typographical error.

glide

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2007
Not sure what year you are in Law School or how they do things up there in Canada - but Contracts 101; you should learn about an adhesion contract, which this is. By accepting the T&O of purchasing online you accept the term that Apple reserves the right to cancel any order due to a typographical error.

Just playing devils advocate - what happens when they don't catch the "mistake", ship the order, and charge the buyer?

ec51

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2008
Just playing devils advocate - what happens when they don't catch the "mistake", ship the order, and charge the buyer?

Well they have caught the mistake and are already offering people various credits, which I do not think they are entitled to do. But in attempt to keep their customers happy they are trying.

Im sure they will allow you to return the computer at no cost to you.

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe

I bet Apple is crapping in their pants at the prospect of having a so-called law student challenging them on a clerical mistake.

glide

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2007
Well they have caught the mistake and are already offering people various credits, which I do not think they are entitled to do. But in attempt to keep their customers happy they are trying.

Im sure they will allow you to return the computer at no cost to you.

I have already incurred a significant cost of wasted time. I purchased based on the assurance of several of their employees that this model HAD a backlit screen. They have not offered me any sort of credit and just a straight up return doesnt cut it at this point.

If they want to keep their customer happy, they can fill my order or figure out a way to make it up to me.

Applemac85

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2008
After ordering my MacBook yesterday (with the understanding that I would receive a backlit keyboard) and after watching threads like this, I decided to call Apple and see what they were going to do about the online mis-communication.

The woman I talked to was very nice, and confirmed that the MacBook 2.0 did NOT have a backlit keyboard. I told her that I had called twice yesterday and talked to people that said that the MB's did in fact have a backlit keyboard (which I in fact did, no lie). She was very polite about it and offered to cancel the order so that I could order the 2.4. All I said was, "oh," and she asked to put me on hold to do some more research. After a little while, she came back and asked if it would be satisfactory if I received a $50 credit on the purchase of the 2.4. All I said was that I still wouldn't be able to afford it, and that's why I bought the 2.0 in the first place. She asked to put me on hold again, and when she came back, she offered me $150 towards the purchase of the 2.4.

When I ordered the 2.0, I upgraded the hd to 250 gb, so that was an additional 90 bucks (with student discount). Therefore, because of the $150 credit:

Total Price of 2.0: $1249 + $90 = $1339
Total Price of 2.4: $1499 - $150 = $1349

So for $10 bucks more I was able to buy the 2.4. Apple's made me a happy customer.

When everything was said and done, the women thanked me over and over for being so understanding and polite, as she had apparently had many rude and angry customers call in today.

Just be nice, and maybe you'll get a good credit people.

glide

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2007
After ordering my MacBook yesterday (with the understanding that I would receive a backlit keyboard) and after watching threads like this, I decided to call Apple and see what they were going to do about the online mis-communication.

The woman I talked to was very nice, and confirmed that the MacBook 2.0 did NOT have a backlit keyboard. I told her that I had called twice yesterday and talked to people that said that the MB's did in fact have a backlit keyboard (which I in fact did, no lie). She was very polite about it and offered to cancel the order so that I could order the 2.4. All I said was, "oh," and she asked to put me on hold to do some more research. After a little while, she came back and asked if it would be satisfactory if I received a $50 credit on the purchase of the 2.4. All I said was that I still wouldn't be able to afford it, and that's why I bought the 2.0 in the first place. She asked to put me on hold again, and when she came back, she offered me $150 towards the purchase of the 2.4.

When I ordered the 2.0, I upgraded the hd to 250 gb, so that was an additional 90 bucks (with student discount). Therefore, because of the $150 credit:

Total Price of 2.0: $1249 + $90 = $1339
Total Price of 2.4: $1499 - $150 = $1349

So for $10 bucks more I was able to buy the 2.4. Apple's made me a happy customer.

When everything was said and done, the women thanked me over and over for being so understanding and polite, as she had apparently had many rude and angry customers call in today.

Just be nice, and maybe you'll get a good credit people.

That is a fair deal.

Andrew K.

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
I have already incurred a significant cost of wasted time. I purchased based on the assurance of several of their employees that this model HAD a backlit screen. They have not offered me any sort of credit and just a straight up return doesnt cut it at this point.

If they want to keep their customer happy, they can fill my order or figure out a way to make it up to me.

Backlit SCREEN? don't you mean keyboard :)

vistokid

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
Question for you guys,

I saw the Apple site yesterday and verified that the 2.0 came with a "Backlit keyboard". I also called 1-800-MY-APPLE twice and both times was told that yes indeed the 2.0 contained a Backlit keyboard. I also took screen shots.

I went to my school tech store and ordered the 2.0. I verified with the sales guy and even got him to put on the invoice "2.0 with Backlit Keyboard". I never got a tracking number and they said it will be here within 2 weeks for pick up.

What can I do right now? Who should I deal with when I get the Macbook? School or Apple?

yoppie

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007

You must be an overconfident 1L. School will knock you down soon enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.