What is everyone gonna do with their iPhone 3GS after iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by scwinsett, Jun 18, 2010.

1. scwinsett macrumors 6502a

scwinsett

When I get my iPhone 4 on Thursday, my iPhone 3GS will go to my wife, as she is just starting to get fed-up with the slowness of my hand-me-down 3G she got last year... I think I'll give the old 3G to my sister for her first iPhone!

I was just wondering what everyone else will be doing with their 3GS come 6/24

2. puggles macrumors regular

use it as a permanent mp3 player/ gps (does this work without service?) in my car.

3. scwinsett thread starter macrumors 6502a

scwinsett

The only way to use it as an iPod without service is to unlock, and it would not be a working GPS without service

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I don't get why so many men give their wives their old phones they don't want anymore. Why doesn't she get a new phone and you get her hand-me-down?

5. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

Indeed. Mine has had a 3GS 32gb for the past year.. Whilst I managed to eke by on my old 3G. Somehow, I survived. :p

6. scwinsett thread starter macrumors 6502a

scwinsett

As much as I'd like to start an argument for your judgmental tone, I don't have the energy. My wife doesn't care about getting a new one enough to pay for a new one. I do. She just likes iPhones. I think it is really between me and my wife though. Thanks

7. dmx macrumors 6502a

I'm going to hold onto it until I get the 4 so I can compare them side by side then it's going on eBay.

8. dalee18 macrumors newbie

Huh? You can take the SIM out and use it as an iPod touch, essentially.

Straight from apple:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3406

9. scwinsett thread starter macrumors 6502a

scwinsett

interesting... ive taken the SIM out and it just locks up and says INSERT SIM

10. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Well I never got a 3GS because it wasn't that much if an improvement but my mum's having my 3G :)

11. drewby macrumors member

drewby

Since my partner currently has a blackberry bold (and not an iPhone) even though his full upgrade comes due in October 2010, it didn't get moved up to June like our iPhones did. He will be getting my 3GS to tide him over until October, then it's ebay when he gets his 4.

12. SaleenS351 macrumors 6502

Give it to the wife. Then next year for iphone 5 she'll get the iphone 4. It's a cycle that allows me a new iphone every year at the subsidized price:D

13. scwinsett thread starter macrumors 6502a

scwinsett

ME TOO! That's the way it's always been. I just keep taking the upgrade, and she's really happy with my hand-me-downs.

14. geko29 macrumors 6502

Sold it already, along with the wife's 3G, to finance our new 4s.

15. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

Yeah man, that's what you think. But the moment you walk away, a tear streams down her face. Cold. :(

16. scwinsett thread starter macrumors 6502a

scwinsett

HAHAH... no shes really not that interested in technology. If I didnt have an iPhone, she wouldnt care. She just wants a phone that works... I just love her enough to force her to take my old iPhones because I know she'll love em... and she does.

17. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

18. aneftp macrumors 601

At first my wife didn't care about iPhones (from the 2007 first gen). Than I gave my mom refurn $250 iPhone first gen when AT&T was selling them.

Oncey wife found out my mother was using an iPhone, she has gotten jealous.

But she wanted 3g. So in July 2008 she got an iPhone 3g.

Than last June 2009, we both weren't eligible or full upgraded. I told her to keep her 3G while I pay $399 for a partial upgrade. She demanded of I get one at $399, she gets one also! So I had to give to to her.

I sold her old 3G for $350. That was suppose to offset the $399 partial 3G upgrade price. Of course, wife kept the cash I got from craigslist and spent it shopping.

Now with iPhone 4, we are both getting full upgrades. I actually ended up paying getting my iPhone 3GS from a friend who didn't want it for $540 so I could keep my upgrade. But since we used the partial $399 upgrade last year for the 3g for my wife, she doesn't qualify for upgrade, even the partial upgrade till 02/2011. But my sister is one my account also and doesn't need the lastest/greates. So I am using my sisters upgrade to getvmy wife a iPhone 4. I am going to give my sister (whose using a 3g my wife's 3gS which is practically new since apple just replaced a crack). So my wife gets a new iPhone 4.

My 32 GB 3GS will be kept as my backup/experimental phone. I will use the 8GB 3G from my sister as am iPod touch/mp3 player on the treadmill/gym.

19. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

Honestly, without referring to one particular poster, I hate this constant trend as well. Drives me nuts. I see it all over these forums - men upgrading to new MBPs and giving their wives their old models/MacBooks, same with iPhones and iPods.

Especially the ones who talk about doing this "every year" or for every new model. How about you switch off instead of being a greedy arse and always taking the upgrade? Then again, clearly the women don't mind, or else they'd tell them where to stuff their hand me downs.

Anyway, TLJ - I just wanted to tell you that I agree with me and it bothers me as well.

20. scwinsett thread starter macrumors 6502a

scwinsett

When you just presume to know the intimate innerworkings of someone else's relationship, you make an "arse" of yourself.

If my wife wanted an iPhone that badly, she KNOWS I'd buy her one. She gets whatever she wants. Fact is, it's not important to her (Don't ask me why... i dont understand it). She is very happy with the upgrade. I already bought her an iPad... thats what she really wanted

21. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Unlock it and sell it. It's already jailbroken and I kept it on 3.1.2; just haven't gotten around to unlocking it yet.

22. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

Use it as a backup in case something bizarre happens with the 4.

23. Raikun macrumors regular

Our money, our dibs first.

The wife is lucky we are not selling the old model

24. pacmantech macrumors member

Immediately sell it to justify the purchase of the new one. I may eBay it or Craigslist it, not sure yet. My wife is on the same upgrade cycle as I am, except her upgrade consists of the dreaded word "white," so she will be waiting this time...