Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rajani Isa

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Rogue Valley, Oregon
I have nothing against dev-team but as they don't bring anything new to the scene, but recycling, we all would like to see new hackers to give us an untethered jb.
What about everyone that defends dev-team says: "make yourself a jailbreak!" :D

Because, unless you can, you don't have room to talk.

Seriously.

tempusfugit

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2009
Chicago
Don't worry so much! Tethered jailbreak isn't as bad as it sounds and it's really easy to boot your device if you reboot.

Agreed. Once you have everything set up and you don't need to install and reboot for things, a tethered jailbreak is actually fairly pain-free. I use PKGBackup and I only needed to run that once I upgraded to 4.2.1 and everything was set. I only reboot the phone occasionally and I haven't had any problems.

If you have an appleTV, 4.2.1 is practically a must (at least for airplay and such) and AirPrint is nice to have too.

crampinator

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2010
It's not that bad? I tried it and it's horrible. Having to go trough all that process everytime I want to Shsh into my phone just to edit something, I can't open Cydia and install anything without my computer nearby. Having to constantly worry that my phone won't run out battery if I'm not home. I tried the tethered jailbreak and after two days I restored.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
It's useless for me and my iPhone 4. Dev-team aren't as experts as people think. Hope a new hacker pop up!

Yep, not their fault. All we need to do is wait for more experienced and talented hackers. Dev-team are stuck into their "recycling" methods.

is this GeoHot? WTF??? it is about doing what will benefit the most people and not about showing off who is more talented or just getting 15 minutes of fame

I am not sure why you portrait it like a bad thing, first at all, they never have said they are "experts" they are talented "volunteers" that work on software hacking for the rest of us to enjoy.

Second, "Recycling" is the best thing that could ever happen, why would you want another "experienced and talented hackers" to burned down another exploit when you can reuse what you already have????

It's not that bad? I tried it and it's horrible. Having to go trough all that process everytime I want to Shsh into my phone just to edit something, I can't open Cydia and install anything without my computer nearby. Having to constantly worry that my phone won't run out battery if I'm not home. I tried the tethered jailbreak and after two days I restored.

Since when you have to reboot to SSH into a device? Also they said "after everything is setup", there is not reason to be installing stuff of cydia all the time, just wait until you are home and do it, little patient go a long way. On the words of SJobs "you are doing it wrong"

CZK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2010
We got it guys its coming.... Sorry we are going to wait for the next iOS then release

Now we really got it its going to be great !!!! Aw.. ANYWAYS we never gave an ETA

Don't sell your iphone, we are going to make it happen very *soon*

You waited a lot, its true. Wait a little more.

We work for free ( MAJOR LOL) don't blame us.

------------------------------------------------------

I highly doubt anyone on this planet is working for free. Especially when 1-10 millions of iDevice users are waiting on their tools and all the money that can be involved in all this.

I like what dev team are doing and all. I just can't stand all the lies about their ''free'' work and that being the reason why they can't deliver.

They should do like Geohot. Not saying that he works for free. His tools are free, yes. He does not work for free. And they should **** and stop answering all the kiddo's questions on twitter. Because they are saying things that they clearly can't do.

/end rage

Last edited:

maturola

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
We got it guys its coming.... Sorry we are going to wait for the next iOS then release

Now we really got it its going to be great !!!! Aw.. ANYWAYS we never gave an ETA

Don't sell your iphone, we are going to make it happen very *soon*

You waited a lot, its true. Wait a little more.

We work for free ( MAJOR LOL) don't blame us.

------------------------------------------------------

I highly doubt anyone on this planet is working for free. Especially when 1-10 millions of iDevice users are waiting on their tools and all the money that can be involved in all this.

I like what dev team are doing and all. I just can't stand all the lies about their ''free'' work and that being the reason why they can't deliver.

They should do like Geohot. Not saying that he works for free. His tools are free, yes. He does not work for free. And they should **** and stop answering all the kiddo's questions on twitter. Because they are saying things that they clearly can't do.

/end rage

I forgot we got geoHot's Fan club president here.

This is the greatest thing I've seen in the community ever, since the first JB and the first JB app. Dev team tools don't have any Ads and they don't have a donation account set, doesn't matter how many iDevices are out there, they don't have a source of income from "that" work.

Also, there have been no lies, if you take the time to read and pay attention to what they really say.

Wowzera

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
Brazil
Because, unless you can, you don't have room to talk.

Seriously.

?
There's no untouchable. Great, dev-team is looking for fame, then they have it, if they don't have a untethered jailbreak for 4.2.1, why they don't come and say: "We don't have it."
It would be better for ALL users, since new hackers would try to find a way to do it... but that's bad for dev-team huh? They won't get the media they're getting with all these people every week asking for news/releases.

is this GeoHot? WTF??? it is about doing what will benefit the most people and not about showing off who is more talented or just getting 15 minutes of fame

I am not sure why you portrait it like a bad thing, first at all, they never have said they are "experts" they are talented "volunteers" that work on software hacking for the rest of us to enjoy.

Second, "Recycling" is the best thing that could ever happen, why would you want another "experienced and talented hackers" to burned down another exploit when you can reuse what you already have????

Since when you have to reboot to SSH into a device? Also they said "after everything is setup", there is not reason to be installing stuff of cydia all the time, just wait until you are home and do it, little patient go a long way. On the words of SJobs "you are doing it wrong"

Man, seriously, dev-team aren't the "good guys". If you read up you'll see who gets more fame "geohot" or dev-team.
Recycling isn't that good as you're pointing, that means everytime something comes up we will need to get back to older firmwares and surely not everybody has them (shshs). If you buy a new device today you won't be able to do a untethered jailbreak.

About Cydia, what's it that you can't install cydia stuff while your iphone isn't plugged into your computer because the tethered jailbreak??

CZK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2010

This is the greatest thing I've seen in the community ever, since the first JB and the first JB app. Dev team tools don't have any Ads and they don't have a donation account set, doesn't matter how many iDevices are out there, they don't have a source of income from "that" work.

Also, there have been no lies, if you take the time to read and pay attention to what they really say.

I don't idolize geohot.

Geohot delivers.

Dev-Team does not.

As simple as that.

All their answers on twitter make them look very bad. People are making them say things that they can't do.

We know thats you MuscleNerd. Its ok you can take off your mask.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
This is why everyone's so hot for an UNtethered jailbreak.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I don't idolize geohot.

Geohot delivers.

Dev-Team does not.

As simple as that.

Funny, The team that Stay behinds each release, update every time they can, have a blog where people can go and get support, get several members on twitter answering questions and sharing info, got tools for multiple iOS, deliver no only the JB but the unlocks - Does not Deliver -

A egocentric guy, that you can't never find, that release half done, crappy tools, and fix it on fly using everyone as genie pigs, which is not documented or got any sense of programming rules, take weeks to make multiOS tools and sometime it doesn't even do it, it just let someone else pick up the slack, ask for Donations and put his picture and ads all over, got no twitter account or any way to get in touch with him for support - that is the guy you "say" it delivers?????

you are right... you don't idolized him :rolleyes:

All their answers on twitter make them look very bad. People are making them say things that they can't do.

We know thats you MuscleNerd. Its ok you can take off your mask.

The fact that they have any "answer" on twitter is a big plus, regardless of what you may think if they make them look bad or not, at least they answer and are there.

Edit: and no LOL I am not MuscleNerd LOL

Last edited:

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC

Then tell us - who's paying the Dev Team to do this?

maturola

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Once you tell me why we are on earth.

Gtfo seriously.

Not reason to get rude or mean just because you got not argument, we are all here having a discussion.

You still didn't answer the question, we can ping point exactly how GeoHot get's paid (with account name and number), how Cydia get's paid, how developers get paid, how Apple gets Paid...please share how does the dev team?

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld

lol... GeoHot Fan club president!

CZK: Most of your posts are idolizing GeoHot. I've read most of your posts saying the same thing. If you don't believe that the dev-team is working for free then show us proof. You are bringing up a theory without proof? Is that how French argue?

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Jailbreak Monte is the name given to the current way that the Dev team is Making the 4.2.1 Jailbreak untethered, this method is a way to recycle exploits by convincing the device that it's running a given firmware right up to the pwnage step (on the current version 4.2b3), then switching to the newer firmware at a later time before the whole process is completed.
I knew what Monte did I just didn't know how. Thank you for the great explanation! ... at least for one who always likes to know how things work.

... there is not reason to be installing stuff of cydia all the time, just wait until you are home and do it, little patient go a long way. ...
It would be nice if you were told a Reboot is required for any Cydia apps/tweaks that require them. Most don't but you never know until you tap confirm (I realize you can click the home button to get around the reboot until you're tethered).

CZK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2010
lol... GeoHot Fan club president!

CZK: Most of your posts are idolizing GeoHot. I've read most of your posts saying the same thing. If you don't believe that the dev-team is working for free then show us proof. You are bringing up a theory without proof? Is that how French argue?

Its called an opinion. And my opinion is that no one on earth works for free for years only by good will. There is something under that and its called money. Do i need a proof or arguments when i say that my fav. Color is blue?

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Its called an opinion. And my opinion is that no one on earth works for free for years only by good will. There is something under that and its called money. Do i need a proof or arguments when i say that my fav. Color is blue?

Fair enough. In your opinion, who is paying these guys for the jailbreak work? Donations, secret work for Apple, etc.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Man, seriously, dev-team aren't the "good guys". If you read up you'll see who gets more fame "geohot" or dev-team.
Recycling isn't that good as you're pointing, that means everytime something comes up we will need to get back to older firmwares and surely not everybody has them (shshs). If you buy a new device today you won't be able to do a untethered jailbreak.

About Cydia, what's it that you can't install cydia stuff while your iphone isn't plugged into your computer because the tethered jailbreak??

It is not about being the "good guys" or not, There is plenty of immaturity and drama inside the Dev team, but you don't see pictures of them all over, they are famous as a "team" not an individuals and they don't look for that attention, they are not on CNN giving interviews, they got a blog and people post and make big deal about their work.

Recycling is the greatest thing ever, we are talking about reclying exploits and not wasting again in order te benefit the largest population as possible, yes at some point the amount of people with "new" phones and no SHSH will surpass the amount of people with them at the point another solution will come out, at this point that is a smaller amount of people.

CZK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2010
Fair enough. In your opinion, who is paying these guys for the jailbreak work? Donations, secret work for Apple, etc.

I dont have enought informations on them to have any idea on this. One thing i know and think is that no one works for free when they could be easily millions of $$$$$$ in game. There is someone paying them dont worry . Who .... No one knows.

Shivek

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2010
I dont have enought informations on them to have any idea on this. One thing i know and think is that no one works for free when they could be easily millions of $$$$$$ in game. There is someone paying them dont worry . Who .... No one knows.
An inside man? Chuck Norris? You?

ZilogZ80

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
Why does every JB info thread has to turn into bitching and complaining?
I guess it's because some people have an inflated sense of self-entitlement. :D

Lets stay on topic guys.
This is about the new "Monte" JB method.
Recycling is great.
Definitely. I am looking forward to untethered 4.2.1, I'm sure the number of people who have existing jailbreaks vastly outnumbers those with new, un-jb devices.
It will be very interesting to see what happens - and how quickly - when 4.3 is out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.