What is the Best Racing Game?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Huntn, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

In my search for good Coop games, I stumbled across this gem Burnout Paradise. It's an arcade racer that does an amazing job of offering high what feels like easy high fidelity driving in a huge open world environment. When racing A.I., the game is adequate but a bit of a disappointment because the A.I. cars at times seem to be miles ahead of you manage to crash allowing you to catch back up. My biggest regret is that there is no split screen offline coop. There is a party mode that allows a group of people on one console (Xbox or PS3) to sequentially complete challenges, but still not split screen. The majority of my game play on the Xbox has been offline (100% offline) splitscreen coop gaming. This game all most makes me want to start up an xbox subscription so I can race others online. :)

There is another title I'll mention, but it's late and I can't remember so I'll add it later.

What do you think is the best racing games? One thing I've noticed in some of the top rated racing games is that they are damn hard to control the car. I'm not really looking for absolute realism, but a fun experience and something that can be controlled with a standard console controller.

2. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

For me, Burnout Paradise is the best of this generation. (And Burnout 3: Takedown the best of the previous generation. ;))I stopped counting the hours I have put into that game. :rolleyes: My only platinum trophy, too. If they just kept releasing more map dlc like the island, I'd be perfectly happy. Unfortunately it looks like they're done with Paradise and moving on to their NFS project.

Yeah, split screen would have been nice, but I usually play by myself, so I don't really miss it that much.

And I agree about the realism-vs-fun factor. That's why I've never gotten into Gran Turismo and didn't like the car handling in GTA4 - I'm definitely an arcade/action racing guy.

3. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

• Need For Speed: Most Wanted
      Launch title for the 360, and pretty basic compared to most games now a days, but it is still a really fun game. As with all NFS games, it skews heavily to the more arcade-type racing, but with some small aspects of customization. Real fun, and can probably be found super cheap.​
    • BLUR
      I think I've already mentioned this one to you, but it bears repeating. This game is essentially Mario Kart, but with real licensed cars. You fly around the tracks, picking up different power-ups, while racing against, and attacking, the other drivers.​
    • Project Gotham 3 & 4
      The "Project Gotham" games are a pretty nice mix of realism mixed with arcade fun. They are more realistic than say Burnout or NFS, but they are by no means a Forza or Gran Turismo. Real licensed cars, and lots of fun tracks. Again, these can probably be found cheap.​

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I really enjoy Burnout Paradise.
    Mario Kart Wii is also hours of fun, F-Zero GX is too. That was my fave racer of last gen.
    Handheld-wise its a flip between Mario Kart DS, Gran Turismo (not great but I like buying new cars) and Burnout Dominator.

Its a bad game but I love exploring in FUEL. GRID seemed fantastic too but my PC can barely run it.

5. Hilmi Hamidi macrumors 6502

Gran Turismo.
    Every other racing game like Forza and NFS Shift are just a rip off of Gran Turismo.

6. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Yeh Gran Turismo, however back in the day I loved to play Need for Speed Undercover on my Gamecube

7. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Retro racing games

From a retro point of view, I used to love playing Destruction Derby and TOCA Touring Cars on my PS1 :)

I also love Gran Turismo but Forza is good as well - I prefer the more realistic racers.

8. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

Forza is a better game, in my opinion.
    Yea, Gran Turismo is a pretty decent game, but all 3 of you apparently missed the part where he said...

1 - He's playing on an Xbox
    2 - He doesn't want realistic racers

9. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

10. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

That's true! My impression is that a realistic racer really needs a Steering Wheel, Pedals, maybe a shifter, which I'm not interested in. :) That why I really really like Burnout Paradise, the mega jumps and stunts are a blast!

My first favorite racer was Mario Karts on N64. This other racer I alluded to involves racing toy cars through houses and yards, but I'm away on a trip and can't recall the name. It's a fun challenging game.

So guys "BEST ARCADE RACER"- preferably with coop, what is it? :D

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Micro Machines? I used to love the Amiga and PS1 version, haven't played the newer ones. Or am I way off there? :D

12. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

13. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

Now that you better described it, I know exactly the game you are talking about. Re-Volt. That game was amazing back in the day. Back when I was in college, and I finally got a decent PC that could play games, that was one that I spent TONS of time playing. Great fun...

[​IMG]

14. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I'm back home. I am thinking of TOW- Things On Wheels. It's not the best but good enough for split-screen coop and the courses are challenging. :)

15. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

GRID with a Logitech G25 on MY PC is a BLAST!!! :eek:

My all time favorite has to be the Mario Kart games though, especially the DS version.

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

1 question and 1 fact; Where do you live and I'm coming over.

17. NoNameBrand macrumors 6502

Forza 3 is fairly accessible. It plays differently with a controller or a wheel— with the former the game tailors your steering inputs to your car's speed, whereas with a wheel you have to use less input at higher speeds.

Little difference between the triggers and throttle/brake pedals - analog controls, you're just supposed to use different appendages with them. ;)

I can't stand most arcade racers— the NFS games I've played are awful (even Shift), and I really didn't like PGR4. Surprisingly, I enjoyed the demos of Blur and Split/Second, and we're probably going to pickup the former from a discount/used bin for the four player split screen (Forza and Split/Second are two-player only)— we have friends who only like racing games with shells... :)confused:)

18. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I lives in the Orange County of the California of the US. I recall you're over in a different timezone. :eek: But if you're ever in the area. ;)

Anyways, I got my wheel for $214(Paid $236, but the price dropped with in my allowed time.) at Frys. Well worth the investment. :)

You should build a new PC. :eek:

19. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

If Paradise is the only Burnout game you've played, I'd highly recommend Burnout Revenge for 360, which has split-screen (though I never tried it). I still think it may be the best in the series — or would be if it were a little harder, which is my only complaint.

20. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Offline Splitscreen? I wonder why they did not include it Burnout Paradise? I'll definitely take a look at that. Is it the same kind of open world as B:p? Thanks! :)

And thanks guys for the other suggestions. I'll check them out!

21. Nuck81 macrumors regular

Even though someone said they didn't like it, my Favorite Racer so far this Gen is NFS: Shift. It had some problems at initial release but once it got patched it turned into a solid feeling and controlling racer.

Good AI, and a great sense of speed...

22. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Oops, sorry :(

23. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

check out DiRT2. i've played A LOT of racing games and a rally racing game which is very well polished was really refreshing. my housemates and classmates would watch me play when we got together because the online gets pretty crazy sometimes.

24. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

Forza 3 is good in that it scales with difficulty pretty well. You can turn on a number of assists to help you in the game if you are not into "serious" racing that turn it into a very arcadey feel. That said, however, it is really a racing game- from what you describe you are looking for something more along the lines of what I call "car combat" games.

25. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I just checked out NFS:Shift demo. It is good. Outstanding demo with both a city and country race. Cars are very controllable with a dynamic high fidelity feel. NFS:Shift is nice in that you are in the car and have rear view and left mirror to see traffic around you. I like the A.I. Can you confirm this title has off line split screen coop? Even though TeamXBox says it has "coop" I've been burned in the past expecting to have split screen and there is none. Thanks!

I'm gonna try Forza 3 again. The demo track is an up in the mountains course which I prefer to city courses. On easy setting, the cars feel sluggish in handling and will skid out of control easily. I'm sure some players want that level of fidelity. Forza3 is 3rd party outside the car trailing view. Does it have splitscreen coop? Thanks for the suggestion!

Remember my goal is arcade racing with the illusion of high-fidelity control. So Far NFS:Shirt is the best for this specific purpose. Burnout Paradise feels great but I acknowledge it has more of an arcade feel, but you can't beat the open city wide and country driving environment it offers along with mega jumps. It really is a crazy, incredible one of a kind title. :)