What is the iPod Touch really missing...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by crackbookpro, Jun 22, 2009.

?

What is the iPod Touch really missing?

1. a camera & video camera

75 vote(s)
    28.1%
  2. faster processor

23 vote(s)
    8.6%
  3. larger hard drive

30 vote(s)
    11.2%
  4. all of the above

106 vote(s)
    39.7%
  5. nothing...maybe just a little bit more storage

33 vote(s)
    12.4%
  1. crackbookpro macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

What would you most want in a iPod Touch? ...it is a great device, but there is some foreseeable improvements we all are looking for...

2. efp722 macrumors regular

3. GT41 macrumors regular

I think the first gen iPod Touch was near perfect... I have mine and use it 24/7. If anything GPS would have been a nice little bonus and some software things to make it a bit smoother but overall I think its a fantastic product and as such will not complain at all. :):):):):):D:D:D:D

4. jman800 macrumors regular

I think we know what all of the iPod Touch owners are going to vote on :rolleyes:

All of the above of course!

5. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

I wouldn't be so hasty! I have no need nor desire for a camera or a video camera. I wouldn't say no to more storage...but I'm cool either way!

6. statik13 macrumors regular

Hardware: A camera, but only if a GPS is included too.

Software: A much better calendar app. Apple's take at calendaring is just terrible. :(

7. mr.stinki macrumors 6502

An option for use on ...AT&T's 3G Network -throws up-

8. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

It's an iPod. Its not a camera. Its not a video camera. Its a music device that plays applications. The calling for a camera is silly, as it just makes no sense having on one on a iPod touch. Unless of course you want the device price to skyrocket like the $700 iPhone costs. The iPod Touch is .33 inches thick, iPhone is .48 inches thick. The camera is pretty tall so it would add thickness to the device as well.

Makes no sense. And yes, I own a iPod Touch and iPhone. I don't see why you don't just admit you want the iPhone, minus the phone calling ability for the same price of $200. Thats what it boils down to. Good luck.

9. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Yeah, I don't know about that. What happens when the iPod Touch saturates the touchscreen market? Each year or two, Apple needs to release an update to entice people to upgrade.

A camera would be genius, especially with a "Photo Booth" type app. Kids would eat it up in seconds. Of course, I wouldn't expect this to happen until maybe the 2010 refresh.

I mean, it's like back in 2004 when people said "Apple would never introduce an iPod that plays videos - the screen's too small and no one would buy it". And yet, it happened and people do watch podcasts/shows/movies on their iPod.

But I might be wrong.

10. ahjjones Guest

I'm fairly certain you will be. In 04' there wasn't an i Phone. Period. There is no way to compare the market we're in now to the market in 04. Also, Apple isn't going to upgrade the camera seeing as how they want to sell as many i Phones as they can. The iPod Touch is a music device, not a phone. If you want a camera buy a i Phone. Case closed.

11. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

A heated screen for those cold winter months.

[​IMG]

12. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

None of the poll options appeal to me. What I have felt is missing, though, is 3G access - along with the option to purchase access to a 3G network of course.

I don't make many phone calls, so the iPhone isn't likely to be in my future unless it starts being available with lower-cost calling plans. But I do use the wireless on my iPod Touch frequently, and I'd pay for 3G access.

13. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

14. laserfox macrumors 6502

laserfox

1. Radio
    2. Camera
    3. Bluetooth (attach keyboards)

15. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I'm 99% sure analyst and Apple see the Touch as an App (gaming) device/Mobile Safari over music. Apple's music driven devices are the iPod Nano and the iPod Classic.

An iPhone is completely different from an iPod Touch with a camera. That iPod would not be a phone, no 3g, aka no monthly bills, and no GPS.

All I know is, the Touch's main market is below age 17. What is Apple going to do once everyone owns an iPod Touch. To keep sales growing, Apple is going to have to add more than processor upgrades.

The features Apple can add to an iPod touch will follow the footsteps of the iPhone. Are you telling me in 5 years, that Apple's iPod Touch will be almost identical to how it is today?

And I'm confused, if you want a camera, you'd buy an iPhone? That doesn't make sense - the camera has nothing to do with the iPhone's core feature (the phone). If you want an iPhone, you want a phone (hence the name) and portable internet where-ever. No one is ever going to decide to not get a cellphone over getting an iPod Touch is because it takes pictures. Ya know?

16. crackbookpro thread starter macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

I was going to include an integrated FM Tuner in the poll. FM radio, or Sirius?

CrackBookPro:cool:

17. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Haha, This! :cool:

Maybe it's a MN thing... ;) :p

18. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

There you go. Their audience is young people. They don't buy their own stuff for the most part, their parents shell out the money. Thus, if Apple adds a camera, and causes the iTouch to increase to $325 for example, parents will be LESS inclined to buy it. Apple will not toss in a camera for a mere $10. It will cost a LOT. Apple wants iPhone customers, so they need to leave distinguishing features to draw people in, camera being one. The iPod Touch should NOT be in the same ballpark as the $700 iPhone... there NEEDS to be different features.

Again, the iPhone needs distinguishing features to separate the $700 device from the $200 device. You will never see 3G on it. Its not a phone. And data would cost a fortune for it anyway, I guarantee that. More than the iPhone $30 plan. Probably double.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind having that right now. Its been in the 50's almost all summer so far in Duluth. Ick.

19. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Kids have the most "disposable" income these days and the iPod touch is targeted to them.

Sure, they can add the camera in (as long as the thickness doesn't increase).

I think the storage is fine, maybe add a 64 GB model. After all, it's supposed to be an iPod, not a phone.

BTW I don't get the difference between choice 2 and choice 5.

20. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

It costs Apple $11 for the 2MP camera in the 3G (source: http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/cellphon...o-make-rest-of-price-is-fanboy-tax-229664.php ).

That certainly wouldn't inflate the cost of the Touch to $500. At most, Apple could charge $50 more easily.

Also, with your logic about parents wouldn't buy kids their expensive gadgets if prices increase, do you not remember iPods were $300/400 in the beginning. And I couldn't remember a time when kids weren't getting iPods for Christmas at $400 a pop.

And by Sept. 2010, as everything with technology, prices will fall. Apple could afford to to add a camera at the same price point

Oh and why is this hard to understand: the iPod Touch and iPhone don't compete. No one looking for a cellphone will not buy one just because a portable media player has a camera. If you're in the market looking to upgrade your cellphone, you're not going to buy it because an iPod Touch has a camera? Good luck making calls in your car with your iPod.

21. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

I want GPS, and it's not there. Why isn't there at least an "other" option?

This poll fails.

22. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

game controller
    3G built in or a 3G modem for dock connector. (Yes I know it's not a phone a laptop isn't a phone either and some of those come with 3G so that is a moot point.)
    Camera
    bigger screen

23. adbe macrumors 6502a

That's a bizarrely arbitrary line you've drawn there. Care to explain it?

********. Firstly if you have to fudge your figures that badly to make your argument stand, you should know you're talking out of your ass. The iPod only costs $200 right now if you buy the smallest model. The 32GB is $400 dollars.

As for making assumptions about what people think they need to pay, then using them to make a point, that's called a strawman. I don't expect my next Touch to cost $200. I expect it to cost $400, much like my original G1 16GB did.

24. crackbookpro thread starter macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

...probably should have included an 'other' choice. Beric, I will note that you would like a GPS, and some have also liked a GPS and "other" things to be added. I could have made the list into 20 different options, but I listed what I thought is missing now in relation to some of the foreseeable options.

I would like a GPS too, but I truly don't think that is foreseeable in the next release...I don't think 3G is likely either(as someone else posted), but a camera, faster processor, larger HD are some options I know a lot of people want(as you can see in the poll), and :apple: may deliver...

For one, if you add a camera to this - You are attracting a HUGE market...

CrackBookPro:cool:

25. adbe macrumors 6502a

A Touch S, with 64GB and built in GPS, for ~$400, I'd be on it.