Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itdk92

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
Copenhagen, Denmark
Having a MSI Gaming X RX480 8G

It's the 8GB GDDR5 model, and slightly overclocked to 1303hz

Performing fine, but if you want the "less tall" graphic card, go for the reference (137mm tall)

The one I have - and selling soon - is 142mm, which is super annoying space-wise..

Btw, is there a way to overclock the RX480 in macOS?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Having a MSI Gaming X RX480 8G

It's the 8GB GDDR5 model, and slightly overclocked to 1303hz

Performing fine, but if you want the "less tall" graphic card, go for the reference (137mm tall)

The one I have - and selling soon - is 142mm, which is super annoying space-wise..

Btw, is there a way to overclock the RX480 in macOS?

To OC a GPU in macOS, you actually have to do that in Windows, run all the tests to determine the OC settings you want, and then dump the ROM, edit it, and flash it back to the card. Now, you can boot from this OCed ROM to enjoy the OC GPU in macOS.

Reactions: itdk92

Capt America

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2016
hello long time reader first time poster. I'm think about getting this card to also upgrade my mac pro 2010. The problem I have is I use bootcamp a lot. I did a fresh install of Windows 10 on its own drive, installed the apple drivers from OS Siera (These aren't the latest drivers though since mac pro 2010 is not supported for bootcamp with windows 10 officially by apple) I can't boot to mac from windows unless I restart my computer hold option key and select the drive. Using and installing the RX480, I won't have the boot screen so is there an easier way to get back into mac? my HD 5770 is on its last leg and I really want to upgrade to RX480 following the multiple guides people posted. How do you guys get around this?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
hello long time reader first time poster. I'm think about getting this card to also upgrade my mac pro 2010. The problem I have is I use bootcamp a lot. I did a fresh install of Windows 10 on its own drive, installed the apple drivers from OS Siera (These aren't the latest drivers though since mac pro 2010 is not supported for bootcamp with windows 10 officially by apple) I can't boot to mac from windows unless I restart my computer hold option key and select the drive. Using and installing the RX480, I won't have the boot screen so is there an easier way to get back into mac? my HD 5770 is on its last leg and I really want to upgrade to RX480 following the multiple guides people posted. How do you guys get around this?

Just install the bootcamp apps in Windows 10, then the problem is fixed.

Capt America

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2016
Just install the bootcamp apps in Windows 10, then the problem is fixed.
i did. i used the bootcamp setup and installed the software to a flash drive and installed it in windows following the directions. The mac hard drive is not recognized unless i'm missing something. the windows "Restart" to mac button shows up but won't reboot to mac.
[doublepost=1481767848][/doublepost]so actually really strange I booted in today and it worked and recognized it the apple hard drive. Yesterday it didn't.

Yes, that's the one!

so back on topic did you have to buy any other power cable or did you use the cable supplied with the RX480 for the new card. I didn't know if i have to buy an adapter or anything.

Reactions: h9826790
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.