what is the point of wireless charging

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tim1206, Sep 13, 2017.

1. tim1206 macrumors newbie

Can someone please explain to me exactly what is all the fuss about wireless charging?

I'd rather have a small wire going into my phone instead of a large stupid lump of crap on my table which also has a wire going into.

What is it the point?????

2. Goldfrapp, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

This is how I thought wireless charging worked:

Your phone could charge no matter where you placed it around the house (within reasonable distance, obviously). Similar to wireless iTunes syncing.

3. ForumChick, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

ForumChick macrumors regular

ForumChick

I really don't get it. It's not really wireless, you still have to plug in the pad. We're going to start seeing wireless charging stations everywhere because of apple. People will say it's so creative and original when apple does it

4. eyeseeyou macrumors 68000

5. Nozuka macrumors 65816

the best thing about it: pretty much every phone that supports wireless charging can be charged by the same charger. no need for a port that fits. it's perfect for places like hotels, cars, starbucks or whatever to provide their customers with power. and people won't break the port

6. AppleZombie macrumors 6502

With no 3.5mm headphones jack, those of us with High Quality Lightning Headphones can now listen to music and charge at the same time. When cars catch up to wireless CarPlay you will be able to just place your phone on the wireless charger without fumbling around for wires.

7. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

returning home @ 3am..drunk looking for your charger. you can just put it on the pad to charge? honestly idk. i'm sure there's valuable reasons but i don't see it. maybe when you're out and about at coffee shops, hotels or wherever that have them. if this was introduced with the 6s then maaaaaybeee it would be a little bigger deal.

8. amps macrumors member

I think its great. Just set it on your night stand when you go to bed and its charging. Less chance for mechanical failure from plugging/unplugging all the time.

9. tim1206 thread starter macrumors newbie

So do you think after ditching the headphone jack, apple will ditch the charging hole?

10. archer75 macrumors 65816

It's convenient. Just set my phone on my nightstand. No fumbling in the dark for the right cable when I have many cables plugged in there.
    Many devices can use it. And you'll find wireless chargers in coffee shops, airports and other places that you can use no matter what phone you have.

11. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

The simple idea is that the "pad" is now universal. So you can buy a desk with a built in Qi charger. Or the Starbucks down the street. Or your hotel room. Or a restaurant. Just set any phone on the table and it charges.

Say you use your phone at work, just leave it on the pad, and if you get a phone call just grab it. No wires to deal with. The idea isn't that you carry around a charging pad, the idea is that charging pads will just be everywhere.

12. AppleZombie macrumors 6502

Not until everyone has gone wireless, it's going to be a long time. I am assuming it's easier and cheaper for public places to install electrical outlets vs enough wireless chargers and I doubt anyone would want to carry around their wireless charger.

I think it would be a good idea to get rid of it though as long as wireless becomes universal and icloud works like it's supposed to.

13. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

It's just ideal at night more than anything to put down and not worry about trying to find where to charge it and at work put it on the pad and not worry about lifting it while charging.

it won't be needed all the time but has it's moments when its useful

14. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

To charge your device without a cable...no fumbling in the dark or ugly cables slung everywhere...!
    I just get in the car and put the phone on the charging pad in the centre console, or put the phone on my desk with wireless charging built in...

If you don't want or like it, use a cable...
    Real question should be what's the point of animated emojis or no home button and swipe up, we have swipe up now for control centre, so that will be fun and innovative.. face id, sorry, I nodded off for a moment and why have fast charging when you don't provide a charger capable of doing it.. Wireless charging is the big innovation and only really useable feature this year. At least they made it QI compatible..

15. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

The biggest advantage I can see is that now Apple are doing lots of public places will probably start having charging stations in them which will be nice. As for the actual technology, it doesn't really bother me. You still have to have something plugged into the mains by a lead, you still have to leave your phone attached to something to get it to charge. It's a bit of a non-feature to me.

16. GetSwole37 macrumors member

I like to charge and watch videos with wired headphones on. so it doesnt do much because i still need to have it in my hands.

17. BeefSupreme macrumors regular

18. 4ppleg1rl macrumors member

Wireless charging will only be good when there are lots of charging pads all over public places: coffee shops, hotels, airplanes, cars etc. Otherwise it's not that great and definitely not worth upgrading for.

The problem I have with it on my S7 is that I can't use my phone and have it charge at the same time. So when it's sitting next to my bed charging and I get a message, I have to keep taking it off charge to reply and putting it back. It's just annoying. At least with a wire it's still charging while I use it.

19. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

But thats the iPhone 8 - none of the features are worth upgrading for alone.
    You can get a QI case for existing iPhones if you just wanted that feature.

20. 4ppleg1rl macrumors member

I was considering the iPhone 7 and the iPhone 8 - the only real difference I could see between the two was the glass back and wireless charging - otherwise, to an idiot like me, they're basically the same. So my point was, i wasn't going to get the 8 purely because it has wireless charging and the 7 doesn't - it's not that important to me and I don't think it's that important to a lot of people. That was my thinking behind it.

I'm speaking as a general consumer who knows pretty much nothing about anything, rather than a tech-geek who can tell the difference between whatever screen the iPhone had before the OLED (or whatever).

21. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

22. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

I suppose my home internet isn't really wireless either. You still need to plug in the modem/router.

23. geoffm33 macrumors 6502

geoffm33

That's a bad analogy.

The analogy for wifi to wireless charging is if you had to lay your phone on a pad to receive the wifi signal.

24. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

You have to be in the house however... So why not just have a large LTE plan if you want to be truly "wireless" and with no "ugly" Time Machine device sat in the corner.

My car has no wires visible, same with my desk...