what is the point of wireless charging

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tim1206, Sep 13, 2017.

1. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

The beauty of wireless charging really becomes apparent when you have lots of charging pads. Where ever you sit, just plop down your phone and it's always topped up.

2. BeefSupreme macrumors regular

You can get a Qi coil that attaches to the back of your iPhone 6 or 7 (sits between your case and phone) then has a semi permanent ribbon cable that plugs into the lightning port. Instant Qi compatibility.

3. AFEPPL macrumors 68020

AFEPPL

that's what i said in the second line... I have a case on my 6s doing just that.
    I dont have one on the 7, i have the 8 tonne apple battery case and a wheel barrow..

4. mikosk macrumors member

This. First it was can't charge and play music with #portgate, now with wireless it's can't charge and use my phone at the same time. To me, this is actually a big deal.

5. Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

The point is convenience. Keep your wireless charging pad plugged in at all times so that you can just put your phone on a charging mat without any extra need to unplug or plug cables in.

6. QueenTyrone macrumors 6502

QueenTyrone

It's to reduce the chance of the port going out

7. missbing macrumors regular

missbing

Does the wireless changing work if you're using a bulky otterbox case or do you have to take it out of the case?

8. BeefSupreme macrumors regular

That tends to depend on the pad. Read amazon reviews they will usually have mentions of what case they have and if the pad can or cannot charge through it.

9. Beerstalker macrumors 6502

As long as the case isn't too thick it should still work.

However, if the case is made of a magnetic material it will not. I'm also assuming I would have to stop using my Scosche Magic Mount in my truck since it requires a slim metal plate to be placed inside my case on the back of the phone to for the magnet to attract. I don't plan on updating my phone this year so it's not a big deal for me right now, but next year I will probably be back to looking for a new mount for my truck.

10. PanAm-L1011 macrumors 6502

I agree. I said it was a gimmick when Samsung did it and I still think it's a gimmick. Instead of packing a small charger, you now have to pack, and lug around, a big pad? Not practical at all for travel. Takes up too much space at home. Total gimmick. Until we can have wireless charging that doesn't require your phone to sit on top of it, it's a gimmick.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2017 ---
    The only problem with that is finding a free wireless charging pad in airports, coffee shops, and other places. There's going to be dozens of people trying to charge their phones and no free pads.

As someone else said, with a cable it can charge while you are still using it.

I could see it being good for at work while listening to head phones. It always sucked that I couldn't charge my 7 Plus while listening with headphones.

Still, think it's a big gimmick and nothing more.

11. mobiletech macrumors member

right now I need three wires on my night stand for my phone, watch, headphones; next year I need only one to a QI pad. You don't need to carry wires or wall dock to charge your phone.

I live in the New York city area and the public Qi chargers are everywhere. They are cheaper than installing individual outlet boxes and way cheaper than usb ports to accommodate all the customers who want to charge their phone. They are more tasteful and subtle so even upper scale places will put Qi pads in the table.

It will be years before the true wireless charging occurs where you walk in distance and it starts charging. This is being held back by the battery industry.

12. ultravisitor macrumors 6502

ultravisitor

Um, you can still charge via cable at the moment. Just because wireless charging is a feature does not mean you have to use it.

13. gpoop macrumors newbie

Or you guys can plug in your phone before you turn off the lights? I mean, if you have issues plugging in your phone in the dark than just plug the phone in before your turn off the lights.

14. archer75 macrumors 65816

Finding free pads is the easy part. Usually they are at the table you're sitting at. And they will become more available now that the iphone has it.
    But it's not something I use when I need to use my phone at the same time. It's something on my nightstand or possibly in the kitchen or on an end table.
    It's that place in a restaurant where I set my phone and i'm not using it. It's always set down on a table when i'm not using it. And now it can be charging.
    Right now i'm at work and it's sitting on my desk. If I had a wireless charger here it could be charging.

Great for in the car where I can drop it in a holder of sorts and it can charge without having to leave a cable out as I do now.

These wireless charging pads are not things you would pack with you like your current charging cable. They are just there at the places you go. In your hotel room, desks and restaurants. Friends can come over and charge their phones without me needing to have the correct cable for their device.

No, not a gimmick at all. Just not as wide spread at the moment as it will become soon.
    Or maybe there's someone else in bed you don't want to wake up.
    But does it need to be charging the very moment you reply to a text? No. You pick it up, reply and set it down. Done. It's not going to miss out on that minute of lost charging time.

15. ItnStln macrumors regular

It's convenient, and I have several Qi chargers throughout my house. Also it preserves the charging port so you don't have to worry about it getting damaged from repeated use. My only complaint is that if I'm laying in bed reading something on my phone I can't charge and read at the same time.

16. jsmith189 macrumors 65816

jsmith189

Because now people can stop getting frustrated at the Apple charging cables breaking all the time lol.

17. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Convenience. Many auto manufacturers have incorporated wireless charging mats into their cars so you can just hop in and set your phone down without having to plug it in. Because of Apple's pull on the tech industry, you can expect to see wireless charging stations in many more convenient locations, such as at your local coffee shop and in airports.

Plus, it's more secure when using publicly, say in an airport, because you're not plugging your phone into anything or opening a bridge for data transfer. Power only.

And besides, it's not like Apple is pushing it on you. You still have the option to use a dock. But I welcome the convenience of wireless charging.

18. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

Wireless charging in its current form isn't really that large of a leap, however Apple do hold patents to make it more what people expect.

Essentially there is no point in putting it on a pad by your laptop, as a cable would be best. However in certain situations, like in the car where you just want to maintain a charge, it's great. Other solutions like building the wireless charger into a lamp are useful for the bedroom if you usually charge it on the bedside table.

That's really the point at the moment, more convenient way of maintaining a charge and just throwing it somewhere. Not great at actually charging the device unless you leave it overnight/long journey.

It's an addition not a replacement so world shouldn't collapse.

19. whohasaquestion macrumors 6502

Won't work with wallet-like case where credit cards are tuck into the back of the case. Sucks. Cause that's my favorite type of case...I don't carry a separate wallet.

20. yanksrock100 macrumors 6502a

yanksrock100

When I had my Nexus 5 (which also had Qi charging), wireless charging was sooo useful. I use my phone in bed and I just put it on top of the charger before I go to sleep. Hey, it might not be a big deal for a lot of people, but when I am half asleep I don't want to go under my bed searching for a loose lightweight cord.

This is on top of the benefits on not having frayed lighting cords.

It is just so convenient.

21. tobeornottobe macrumors regular

Can I place the mat under my wooden desk so that the mat won't clutter the desk surface?

22. archer75 macrumors 65816

I use a wallet case and it works with wireless charging. But they are in the flap and not in the back.

23. eyedoc2020 macrumors regular

When I had my Samsung Note 5 I didn't think I would like wireless charging... however it is awesome. I had a charging block in my desk at work and it was great to just set my phone down and let it charge without fishing for a cable. When going back to Apple I definitely missed it.

24. ultravisitor macrumors 6502

ultravisitor

Along with the dead cords, I'll also be glad to be rid of ports that don't work because crap like lint gets stuck in them.