Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Langostino with fettuccine and a cheap montepulciano d'abruzzo.

78339DEE-F3C4-45CA-B9B1-E28E5C70A32D.jpeg

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
My dear, at the rate this country is going your services as an observer may be needed in the future!

This may well be the case.

Nevertheless, perhaps it was fortunate that it was felt that my services were not required in the recent past.

Langostino with fettuccine and a cheap montepulciano d'abruzzo.

View attachment 819084

Oh, yum.

Nothing wrong with a "cheap" (i.e. affordable) Montepulciano d'Abruzzo: This is one of those Italians where price and quality do actually intersect perfectly happily.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Your wine glass looks angular but also not. Pasta looks great. Fresh squat lobster or frozen? I don't think I've ever seen either.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Thanks. The wine is in a Norlan scotch glass. It’s double walled blown glass. They make a heavy scotch glass too. It’s definitely heavy.

https://www.norlanglass.com/products/norlan-whisky-glass

Frozen langostino.
May just have to order those. You just got them a few weeks ago, right? Some of my good scotch glasses are crystal and heavy. Though these days I opt for a lighter glass variant. A company out here used to make scotch glasses using... obsidian! Which was way cool.

You could say it was scotch on the rocks. LOL

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
May just have to order those. You just got them a few weeks ago, right? Some of my good scotch glasses are crystal and heavy. Though these days I opt for a lighter glass variant. A company out here used to make scotch glasses using... obsidian! Which was way cool.

You could say it was scotch on the rocks. LOL

These aren’t too good of pictures but they’re the best I could do.

The heavy tumbler is on the left. It’s my favorite.
The blown glass is in the middle and ok.
The blind blown glass is on the right. It’s fine for blind taste comparisons.

66DD4573-5EAC-42E5-8826-603A9F5A8550.jpeg E279302E-27AF-4EC9-A79B-28388687868F.jpeg
[doublepost=1548896084][/doublepost]I got the heavy several months ago on preorder. The blown glass I’ve had for 12-18 months? I like them all but if I reach for a glass for scotch....it’s the heavy.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I think we have tumblers like the one on the far left. Used for general drinks. Not my favorite. I think I'd prefer the middle one. It's similar to the tumblers I use now, except that's likely heavier.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
I think we have tumblers like the one on the far left. Used for general drinks. Not my favorite. I think I'd prefer the middle one. It's similar to the tumblers I use now, except that's likely heavier.

The middle one is very very light.

Reactions: 0388631

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
The middle one is very very light.
Lightest glasses I've had in my possession (I think I gave them out to my nephews when they became of drinking age) was the Four Roses single barrel sets. Decent heft, but light, and just the right amount of cuts to bring in some flare to an otherwise medium-dark bourbon. I knew people back in the day who would throw out glasses instead of giving them away. Seems most of the time people will buy a set of 8, 10, 12 or 16 and only use a few and eventually throw away the rest years later. Just give it out!

I have a bunch of snifter glasses for a variety of alcohol I rarely use but still keep. It's in line with the variety of mokas I own, nearly all in stainless steel since aluminum is whatever. I use one mainly, but the others are there for a reason. It might come in useful one day when I fancy only a single, small serving. Why two espresso machines. Why a variety grinders? Why have several mortar and pestles?

Though admittedly that last one falls under me being stringent with keeps spices, herbs and aromatics separate all the time.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The menu was in German, and the waiter was able to tell me pasta with pesto and vegetables. Vegetables included, spinach, onions, tomatoe, green beans, mushrooms, zucchini squash, and black olives. It was delicious except for the black olives which I flipped over onto my wife’s plate. She loves them.

22604D8A-D11D-4FF9-8C97-DE201DEE6206.jpeg

Reactions: Gutwrench

Diazepam

Suspended
Nov 24, 2018
Hot and sour soup.

View attachment 814469

Good heat.
Needs a smidge more sour.
Too much white pepper.
I’ll decrease the pepper and increase the chili bean sauce.
Increase the vinegar too.

It’s not ready for prime time but it’s easy enough I’m confident anyone can make it to their liking.

Oh, two other things.

I added pork and love it. I’ll do it every time now, I think.
And, my nose is running again but it’s not from my cold!!

That's Chinese cuisine, yeah ? Looks great ! Reminds me of a soup I used to have abroad called "Manchurian soup".

Reactions: Gutwrench and Huntn

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Can't say I've heard of it either. The only eels I have access to are from the Asian markets, sold raw and unmarinated.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
What? Smoked eel? More info please.

I've had smoked eel (where the eel kept its form and shape) in eastern Europe (an upmarket restaurant in Vilnius, in Lithuania), and from a stall in the farmers' market from a man who used to catch and smoke his own eels and mackerel. That would simply be served with brown bread.

The smoked eel I had last night was served more like dressed crab, with pickled vegetables (red cabbage, cucumber, pickles, carrot) and some sort of homemade crisp bread, and was so delicious that there wasn't a morsel or crumb remaining on my plate when I surrendered it to the staff.

Last edited:

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
I've had smoked eel (where the eel kept its form and shape) in eastern Europe (an upmarket restaurant in Vilnius, in Lithuania), and from a stall in the farmers' market from a man who used to catch and smoke his own eels and mackerel. That would simply be served with brown bread.

The smoked eel I had last night was served more like dressed crab, with pickled vegetables (red cabbage, cucumber, pickles, carrot) and some sort of homemade crisp bread, and was so delicious that there wasn't a morsel or crumb remaining on my plate when I surrendered it to the staff.

I’ve not had it smoked but it makes good sense. Smoked is probably the original method of cooking eel, I’ll bet.

I like san bei eel very much served in a hot pot with lots of onion and ginger. I’d order that or the Peking duck.

http://m.iqiyi.com/w_19rra41ft9.html

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I’ve not had it smoked but it makes good sense. Smoked is probably the original method of cooking eel, I’ll bet.

I like san bei eel very much served in a hot pot with lots of onion and ginger. I’d order that or the Peking duck.

http://m.iqiyi.com/w_19rra41ft9.html

Trust me, this is seriously delicious.

The kind of greedy satisfying delicious that doesn't leave a singe crumb, or morsel, behind.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Having a rare treat tonight. Potatoes. We rarely have them now as Mrs AFB can’t. But every now and then we get a small bag.

Having them roasted with a chicken breast, stuffing and gravy. Some broccoli no doubt. Mrs AFB will have the chicken with the broccoli and cook some noodles.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Anybody here own an Instant Pot? I discovered them a few months back and finally bought one last week. Love finding the hundreds of recipes so far. Haven’t had a bad meal out of it yet.
3785133bd0c9de1a30dda8adb3af1385.jpg

cef420bf73f5e42d3b0b0ad8bc7c51e8.jpg

d07d913969ba53364a9ba22b6d35ead5.jpg

057e24564100b33c8b77e2f52861d303.jpg

Beautiful!
[doublepost=1549208523][/doublepost]
Having a rare treat tonight. Potatoes. We rarely have them now as Mrs AFB can’t. But every now and then we get a small bag.

Having them roasted with a chicken breast, stuffing and gravy. Some broccoli no doubt. Mrs AFB will have the chicken with the broccoli and cook some noodles.

I’ll be grazing on different things: onion rings, wings, chips with queso & salsa.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.