What is your Mac OCD?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nlivo, Feb 20, 2008.

1. nlivo macrumors 6502a

I have these little things that I have to do when I'm on my computer. Two main ones that I can think of are...

-Whenever I leave the computer I have to click the desktop so it says "Finder" in the menu bar. I can't stand having everything closed but still have the last open window's application name in the menu bar.

-I can't have a file selected and not in use. Like If I drag a file from the desktop into iTunes, once I drop it into iTunes it is still selected on the desktop (this for me is the worse thing about leopard), so I have to click on the desktop and then click anywhere on the desktop again for it to become "un-selected".

Any of you guys have some "Mac OCD's"?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I always close apps that aren't being used (my wife doesn't, I really should kick her arse).
    I like the desktop to be tidy.
    Don't like the trash having anything in it.

3. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

I hate having anything on my desktop... everything's filed.
    I rarely quit apps, even if they're seldom used.

4. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

These for me too.

Also, I line up my wonderfully designed mac hardware so the bases are at perpendicular angles when I leave work every eve, only to move things back to how I like them every morning when I arrive. It just looks nicer lol

5. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Those for me.

And I also align small windows (like Adium or iChat) so that there's a 1px-line between them and they have the same size (when it's possible). :D Beat that ;)

6. stekerrod macrumors regular

my ones are....when I put it to sleep or shut it down the cursor has to be in the middle of the screen, the trash has to be kept empty, the windows for the
    apps I use have to be in similar places on the screen (iTunes goes on the left, mail goes in the top right corner, amsn goes in the bottom right corner and safari goes in the middle!) I can't think of anythin else but I'm sure theres more!on iPhone it always has to be on the home screen before I lock it!

7. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Oooh yes! That for me too when work flow isn't too hectic...

8. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

and irritatingly for him I almost never close apps, I'll leave stuff running endlessly. :eek: the only trash I DON'T care about being being left un-emptied is on the computer*. :p I do like a tidy desktop though.

* I sense a deal to be made here. :D

9. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Clean desktop. Clean computer!
    Two-finger scrolling. I love it!

10. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

I have to wake my Mac by pressing the up arrow.

When i leave my Mac, i have to leave the cursor in the bottom right hand corner.

No file on the desktop can be selected and not in use.

Safari must be an equal distance between the dock (on left) and the right hand edge of the display, NOT in the middle of the screen.

Maybe I should see a doctor... :(

11. nlivo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh yeah. I can never have that little white piece of paper scrunched up in the trash. I also have to quit my applications. I can't have that little dot underneath it if I'm not using it.

12. AndyK Contributor

AndyK

13. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

nice thread! this is so me!

- i cannot store anything temporary on the desktop i have to trash it straight away.
    - have to empty the trash if anythings in it (unless im temporarily trashing a file)
    - all my Finder windows in the sidebar have to be the same size.
    - my documents, downloads, movies and pictures have to be in Cover Flow view and the rest have to be in Column View.
    - my Safari window has to the same width... used to be the width of Apple.com now its the width of my bookmarks in the toolbar. also cant be touching the Dock or Menu Bar and has to be to the left a little (not in the middle arrgrghhhhhh!)
    - my Safari download window has the to be down the bottom right of the screen and is always cleared after a download finishes.
    - my Mail window has to be a bit to the left and near the top of the screen.
    - i have to have my download stack set as a fan, documents set as automatic and my applications and utilities stacks set as list.
    - when i sleep my mac i have to turn off the display and my wireless mighty mouse.
    - System Preferences, Activity Monitor, iTunes and Finder progress windows have to be in the middle of the screen.

thats about it. did i win?

14. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

Hot corners *must* be set for exposé functions and the dashboard.

15. jhande macrumors 6502

Desktop empty, trash empty at end of day. All programs closed when not in use (very modal with that), no drives selected on desktop, sane folder, pdf's organized in directories although I use Yep....

....this is worrying....:eek:

16. ThomasShaped macrumors regular

Nothing selected on desktop.
    Safari windows must be the width of my bookmarks bar so there is no arrow at the end
    NO HORIZONTAL SCROLL BARS. EVER.

ESPECIALLY in iTunes. All the columns must be set to the same width in each playlist etc.

17. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

Hurray, I'm not the only one with "Mac OCD" then!

• Safari windows must be centered in the screen, width is the same size on both sides of the dock.
    • System Preferences must be in the center of the screen.
    • Desktop contains nothing but "Macintosh HD", a symbolic link to "Home", and a folder called "Unsorted" for anything else, I hate clutter on the desktop.
    • Hardware must be clean -- I use iKlear on my MacBook Pro once a week to keep it nice and spiffy.
    • Adium message window is horizontally parallel to the contact list so that they line up at the top, file transfer window lines up along the top as well.

18. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

How do you do this?! I've been trying and trying, but as a recent switcher I just can't make it stick. Everytime I change the view on one folder, it changes them all. It almost makes me miss my PC. :(

19. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Neither does mine. It bothers me every time I use her computer. She also has everything maximized, while I try to keep my windows arranged neatly.

20. blaklaybul macrumors regular

blaklaybul

• I ALWAYS quit apps that arent in use.
    • I have four spaces and always make sure that they are being used for what I designate them. Space 1 is for word processing and dictionary. Space 2 Is for email and web browsing. Space 3 is for music and media (Adobe, Quicktime, iTunes). Space 4 is for my text editors and Terminal.
    • All of my files are in their designated folders. I use color labels on folders that I use most frequently. My Spring Semester folder and is highlighted blue.
    • EVERYTHING in my itunes library is correctly tagged and with the appropriate album art. Any concert recordings I have without album art - I find a picture on Google to use.
    • I have a MBP, therefore I went with the silver ipod. Had I been short on money I would have bought the blackbook and the black ipod.
    • When possibly, I like to buy apple products over other makers. I have the apple mouse and keyboard.

I'm a Nerd.

21. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Nothing on the desktop
    Nothing in the trash
    I hate List view and column view

22. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Sorry for my ignorance but those darned acronyms... What is "OCD"?

23. MrT8064 macrumors 6502a

MrT8064

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

(mine is sleeping the mac with the remote control)

24. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

OCD

25. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

Where do I begin?

MacBook
    • Trash must be emptied within seconds of anything being put in it
    • Folders on desktop are not to be left highlighted
    • When there are no windows open, it must say Finder in the menu bar
    • Dock must be in a logical order
    • Safari must be exactly central on the screen (and yes I do know when it is not), and the same width as the top of my dock
    • Webpages in Safari must be scrolled to a neat place (on MacRumors, the top, but with the banner ad chopped off) before they can be hidden or minimised
    • Safari bookmarks must be in the right order and neat
    • Safari, iTunes, Word must always have maximum vertical size
    • Brightness must be set at an even number (except for 1, 3 and 15)
    • Dashboard must be tidy and widgets must never be touching or overlapping
    • Applications that are not in use must not be running (this is because I am still used to using a 5 year old PowerBook)
    • I like to restart my MacBook about once or twice every week (again, this is because I am still used to using a 5 year old PowerBook)

iTunes:
    • 'And' must always be replaced with '&' to save space
    • Every word (with more than two letters) must have the first letter capitalised
    • All album art must be found (98% done at the moment)
    • 'Featuring', 'Feat.', etc must be changed to '&'
    • Whenever possible the horizontal scroll bar must not be allowed, and the columns must be perfectly sized with none of them half way off the edge of the screen.

iPods:
    • My iPod nano must always be on the main menu, but with the settings menu highlighted while asleep.
    • My iPod shuffle must always be set to sequential playback when turned off so that the two little sliders are symmetrical to each other.
    • My headphones must never be twisted when I am using them.

I would be nice to be normal sometimes, because being such a perfectionist is less of a help than a hinderance. :eek: