What is your plan for your next phone purchase?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Yumunum, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Plan on buying the iPhone 5 as soon as it's out no matter what? Switching to Android or something? I'm interested to see what you guys plan on doing, what your needs are, ect. Basically, just tell everyone your thoughts. Maybe we'll hep you brainstorm? ;)

I'll start...
    I currently have an iPhone 4.
    I don't like tablets because they just run phone OSs and they aren't as mobile as a phone, so my next best thing is a large phone. (I recently sold my iPad 2 and don't regret it :p) Samsung just announced the Note, which seems perfect for me, but I'm still not sure what I'm going after next... My 3 choices are; the Nexus Prime, iPhone 5, and Galaxy Note. If I want a true tablet replacement, I'm going to need a high screen resolution. There were rumors the Prime would have a resolution just like the Note, and if that's so, then I'd more than likely get the Prime. I really don't like putting my trust in non-Nexus Android phones for updates.

BUT some of the iClouds features would be really handy to me... Unless the iPhone 5 turns out to be some insanely amazing device, I might just buy an iPhone 5 with my available upgrade (AT&T), then sell it immediately for a higher price. This would allow me to buy a Note (out of country) or the Nexus Prime (off-contract. if it has AT&T's 3G/4G bands) and I could keep my iPhone 4 just incase I ever need the iCloud (mostly needed for documents for school and such) I have a tethering plan, so it'd be pretty easy when needed.

And about selling the iPhone 5... Does anyone know how plausible it is to pre-order it, get it immediately, then sell it for MORE than it would cost off-contract? (through Craigslist) Are there enough people willing to pay more for it to get it sooner? Most stores will be out of the phone for awhile after release.

---

Alright, so those are my thoughts (sorry that they were pretty long) What are yours? What do you think you might do, and why? What features are you relying on?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

The next phone I purchase will more likely be the next newest iPhone from Apple, but probably not on launch day.

I bought the iPhone 3G 6 months after launch, iPhone 3GS 2 weeks after launch and the iPhone 4 about a month after launch. I like owning the latest and greatest, but not necessarily right away (though I could change my mind after it is announced).

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I'm not sure what my plans are, but I'll probably end up ordering it after a bit.

4. Sensamic macrumors 68030

I was thinking of staying with my iPhone 4 till next year, but this week was introduced the Samsung Galaxy Note and I really like it.

Im curious to try Android and this phone looks to be the perfect one to do so.

Still, Im waiting to see if the iPhone 5 will be good enough to upgrade, which I seriously doubt...

5. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

6. Yumunum thread starter macrumors 65816

Yumunum

What sucks about the Note is that it won't come out until Q1 next year, and it has the four Android buttons at the bottom... Ice Cream Sandwich is supposedly going to remove the need for those buttons :p I really hope the Prime has the same type of screen, as rumored. HD ftw

7. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Waiting for the iPhone 5 and the Prime phone. Will make a decision after that. If Prime takes too long to come out for some reason, will go with iPhone.

8. cinek macrumors 6502

depending on the specs, but probably iPhone 5

9. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Waiting until my contract is up in 2012.

So, probably be an iPhone 6, or 5S, or whatever it is.:p

10. mricyfire macrumors member

I have never heard of the galaxy note until this thread and after watching the video

http://youtu.be/bfMmMrUwRnI

iPhone5 better be much much better than a spec update. With Apple only releasing 1 phone a year vs Android about 6 a month, well Android is catching up pretty fast and by the time of the iPhone6 it may have surpassed it by far.

11. 184550 Guest

I've been eligible to upgrade since February of this year (still on my 3GS) so I'll be upgrading to the 4S/ 5 whenever it's released. Hopefully sooner rather than later as my battery life with my 3GS is horrible at the moment (drains from 100% to 50% in about eight hours with almost no use).

12. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

same thing i do every year...

Year 1. Buy iphone for new contract price $199/299
    Year 2. Sell iphone for $450, buy retail price Iphone for $699/799
    Year 3. Sell iphone for $450, upgrade contract for $199..Bank $250

Sometimes you can sell them for $500-$600 used, depending on how quick you want to sell them.

Keep repeating process over and over..

After its all said and done I am still on the same money i spent on my first iphone back in 2007 or 08 or whatever year it was they came out.

13. sparky1499 macrumors regular

sparky1499

Still rocking my 3GS since October 2009. Eligible for an upgrade from the 19 of September but I'll probably wait a while, once the fury settles, and make my mind up then.

Most likely the latest iPhone though :eek:)

14. tonysg macrumors newbie

I just finished my AT&T contract with 3GS and have cancelled it, I just picked up a new Ipod Touch, and am using the Line2 app, I ported my number.
    along with an AT&T 3GS Mifi hotspot, that is coming beginning this week to provide me the Wifi while I'm away from a Wifi hotspot (not very often) except in the car.
    At&t's 3GS Mifi was 53 bucks (refurb) and online waived the activation and ship fees, so now I am going to be paying 35 bucks a month

I have found that all my calls that I have made over the Line2 app to be of great quality, but I mostly Text and the only downside I have seen is not being able to send pics within their SMS texting, but for the price I can live with it.

so thats my "upgrade" and so far I've been pretty happy with just the Wifi part of Line2, I havn't even got the Mifi from AT&T yet
    I think I will be happy paying 35 bucks (plus whatever tax) for my phone service again, instead of the 80-90 a month the cell companies have gotten me hooked on.

just my 0.2 cents worth
    Tony

15. Sensamic macrumors 68030

The biggest drawback of the iPhone 5 will probably be the still small (to some people like me) screen.

3.7 is not enough. If its 4 then I would think about it, but I really like those 4.3 screens android phones have, but only if the resolution is HD of course.

16. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

iPhone 6 whenever Apple gets around to it. I don't mind waiting.

Let iPhone 5 reveal if they've improved the antenna, home button & other annoyances. Apples good at improvements if they make it a priority.

17. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

I got the iPhone 3G on launch day. I plan on doing the same for the iPhone 5.
    I'm on my last leg with my current iPhone anyway.

I doubt i'll be upgrading to the iPhone 6, and will probably hold out for the biggest upgrade to the iPhone after that. Such as hologram technology, projectors, etc.

Clearly we're all eagerly waiting for the next iPhone.

18. Gunny011 macrumors regular

I might sell my iPhone 4 (i got it for free via my carrier) if the iPhone 5 is a major upgrade, if not, ill just wait until next september when I'm due an upgrade. I'll probably just wait until iPhone 6 tbh..

19. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

If the iPhone 5 has 64 GBs and a 4" screen, I'll most likely get it. But I'll have to beg my local AT&T store to let me upgrade early. My monthly bill isn't high enough to quality for an early upgrade. However talking to an AT&T sales rep a few months ago about the subject he said they are more lenient with customers who have been paying their invoice on time for many years (like me). Hopefully that plus some genuine kindness will let me upgrade. (And sell my iPhone 4 on Craigslist.) If they don't, I might be out of luck.

If the next iPhone doesn't have the 2 features I listed, then I will wait for the 4G iPhone in 2012.

20. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

I don't plan on buying a new iPhone anytime soon so I'm guessing my next iPhone purchase will be the iPhone 6... since that's around the time I get a upgrade :)

21. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I don't know. My biggest want is a larger screen. I really like the Galaxy S2, but I'd be keen to give WP7 a shot too. The only thing keeping me with Apple at this point is my investment in the App store and iTunes syncing. Hopefully the new iPhone packs a monster of a display, but it probably won't.

22. haticK macrumors 6502a

haticK

I have a Droid X and plan on pre-ordering the iPhone 5 when it comes out. I've wanted an iPhone since the original so I'm going to at least try one out and see how I like it. Not a huge fan of Android so hopefully iOS will be better.

23. IXDoubleDXI macrumors regular

Just upgraded to Nexus S 4G on launch back in may, but I've got a friend with a business plan on Sprint that is going to hook me up with one of her upgrades for the iPhone 4s/5/whatever it's called. So as long as Sprint stays "Unlimited", i'll be getting one, near launch. I really ilke the Nexus S, it's rooted and I'm running the Oxygen ROM, but there's just something about iOS and it just working, no freezing, no middle of the screen not working every now and then, it just works the way it should. I had a 1st Gen iPhone, but switched to Sprint for cheaper plan, but I'm ready to go back to iOS.

24. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

haha I do this with my Macbook pro 13 inch every year upgrade as well :), usually buy it for $1000, sell for $1000 then just pay tax for it again but get a brand new computer :)

I have the 3gs and my 18 month is up October 14th, so I will wait till the iPhone 5 is available.

As for 4g, I can care less. If its not an iPhone then it's not an iPhone. I see smartphones the same as Tablets their is only the iPad or Portable music players. Who had something other than an iPod? You couldn't pay me enough to pick up a Zune or an Andriod phone unless it gave me awesome superpowers somehow(I'm talking I control all metal, people minds, super speed or something insanely cool) even then I might pass because it's not an iphone.

25. Zeisen55 macrumors member

i plan to buy the new iphone as soon as it is released. i was due for an upgrade in january, but ive been waiting for the new iphone