What kinda beer should I drink??

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by phillipjfry, Apr 20, 2007.

1. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

I am going on a cruise this summer (never been on one before!) and I saw in the little booklet that it has an "English style pub" in it where you can go in and try all different kinds of beers. I don't know if it will really be like that or not, but I wanted to ask; What are some good beers to drink? I grew up in a state where the only thing everyone drinks is Miller Lite. I have only begun to drink Blue Moon and I love it.
    Any suggestions? I don't know much about beer or what kind tastes best, but I know I don't really like Killian's.

2. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Guinness and Stella Artois are my favorites. You are making me thirsty.:p

3. vniow macrumors G4

4. phillipjfry thread starter macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

I almost want to ask
    Which ones contain the most alcohol?

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Well.. since we don't know what they carry... why not wait until you're there and then try what they have and drink what you like?

6. fotografica macrumors 68040

Bass and Newcastle are a couple good ones too...

7. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Generally ales are higher in alcoholic content than lagers, stouts & porters more than pales & bitters. But that's really overgeneralizing.

As far as which beer to drink, the one you like. I DO encourage you to try as many as you can, and give them an honest chance. Took me a long time to take to Guinness, but it's one of my faves.

If you're going to sample several, try to stay with one group at a time (wheats or reds or porters or etc., you get the idea), or failing that, pale to dark.

Try not to mix lagers & ales in the same sitting, regardless of color. Your taste buds will thank you.

8. phillipjfry thread starter macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

Because if I get there and they do have several hundred suggestions (the ship has a freaking ice rink in it!) I don't want to feel like I missed out on a drink I might really like instead of blindly drinking what I can pronounce. :)

9. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

10. achie25 macrumors 6502

Some of my favorites in order:

1. Cold
    2. Free

Honestly I love many different kinds. From England I really like Taner's Jack. Good stuff.

Sammy's Smith Nut Brown Ale is delicious as well.

11. efoto macrumors 68030

Witty ;)

I think local micro-brews have some of the best flavors available, ymmv though and being on a cruise I doubt you'll see many micros (although perhaps one or two from the home port city).
    If you have a tendency for a style (as John stated) simply try a variety in a style you like. If you're feeling adventurous try a completely new style and see what you think. Generally servers have decent suggestions, given enough information from you.

The point is you're drinking, we can all smile about that. :rolleyes:

12. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

And in a proper 20 oz pint glass :D

13. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

You could have a look on the Camra website (http://www.camra.org.uk/), there is bound to be some information on there to help you find a good quality beer.

14. Nayrb macrumors member

Budweiser Extra or Tilt 6.6, two great beers from Anheuser Busch with the extra kick of an energy drink (though if you really prefer the taste of normal beer you probably won't like this sugar loaded taste).

If you're ever near a Busch Gardens or Sea World Adventure Park they have something called the Brewmaster's Club where you can sample most of the in season beers of Anheuser Busch.
    Ok, I'm done consumer whoring myself for now.:rolleyes:

15. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    To quote someone at the RenFaire, Porter or Stout. Anything else is for women.

16. achie25 macrumors 6502

Love it! :)

This is making me thirsty. I am done teaching in an hour and then it is a quick stop at the store then home to enjoy the finally nice weather.

A great microbrew here in West Michigan is Bell's Beer. I think they ship somewhat regionally. You might be able to find there website. Their most popular kind is their summer brew Oberon. Since Bell's is in Kalamazoo, for the last day of classes for Western Michigan University they make a batch of Eccentric Ale. I believe it has something like 18% in it. You can only get it at the brewery though.

Has anyone tried homebrewing? I am looking into trying that soon.

17. nicolle19 macrumors member

I would try something rare like Miller Lite......j/k....try anything and evething.....There are so many differnet Beers out there that many dont know about...I love going to Central Market and making my own six back of differnt beers.....I love me a good IPA........Anybody ever watch Beer Nuts on HDNET....good show

18. phillipjfry thread starter macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

I couldn't imagine beer as an energy drink.
    Anyone else drank Tilt? :confused:

To note achie:
    My girlfriend's dad used to make beer, he liked it (I guess you have to like your own brew :) ) but he has yet to tell me how to do it :(

19. Keebler macrumors 68030

miller's lite? oh you poor b@stard. that's not beer...that's water!

you need to come up to Canada to drink real beer :)

keith's and guiness have to be tried. guiness is a meal in itself :)

20. soup4you2 macrumors regular

Dogfish 60min IPA :)

Victory beers are also pretty good.. i enjoy a nice Hop Devil from time to time.

21. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

You either live in Wisconsin, Illinois, or Indiana. Am I right? it's definitely a Midwestern state.

someone mentioned Bass, but I like Killians, so you might not like my list.

22. Phat Elvis macrumors 6502

English Beers? Anything from Samuel Smith's is a good bet - especially their porter. I love Bass and Newcastle too.

Other beers: try some Belgian beers (Chimay, Orval, Delerium Tremens) and Austrian beers (Kulmbach).

There are so many kinds out there it really depends on what you want. I tend to drink porters and stouts in the winter then lagers and ales in the warmer months. Life is too short for cheap beer.

23. Phat Elvis macrumors 6502

Doesn't Coors make Killians in the US? Feh.