What Mac application do you need but not exist

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by johnyy, Sep 6, 2009.

1. johnyy macrumors newbie

Hi guys,
    We all know there are tons of applications for windows.
    For mac, there il little.
    What kind of application do you want to use on your Mac but still not exist?:D

2. macnfab macrumors regular

macnfab

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Can i have an application that will make me breakfast every morning and then ring a bell or something to tell me it's ready? Cause that would be awesome! :D:D
    I guess I could hire a maid but them, she'll wants holidays!! :eek:

Seriously, the only thing i miss on the Mac is "k-lite codec" pack. Windows can keep everything else.

4. bootedbear macrumors 6502

bootedbear

I honestly cannot think of a need I have that hasn't been filled by an application available for OS X.

5. Medium Skil macrumors newbie

Mac has all the applications I need.

6. Buzz Bumble Guest

An application that literally kills spammers when I delete their messages. ;)

I can't think of any application either. I know someone else who needs AutoCAD though before they can switch to Macs (they're too fussy to use it under Boot Camp or VMWare / Parallels).

7. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

RegionX for the DVD drive... plus a rpc1 patch for the hardware.

How about MacTheRipper?

8. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Although I don't care for MS Word or MS Office, what I'd like to see is a re-issue of the old "Microsoft Works" app, for OS X.

MS Works was clean, simple, and quick. I still use a 1993 version of it on my g4, running under Classic, to manage databases and a few spreadsheets.

Nothing - let me shout for emphasis: NOTHING - comes close to it when you're looking for a quick filer or worksheet.

Apple has left a void with their abandonment of AppleWorks. Pages and Numbers may _look_ nice, but either of them seems pokey and overloaded.

I'd rather use "plain" software that works, and does so quickly.

Hey Microsoft - why not just "port" old MS Works over to OS X?

- John

9. macnfab macrumors regular

macnfab

Sadly Mac the ripper nor any of the other decryption software macs makes (to my knowledge..unless someone is holding out big time..LOL) is anywhere near as powerful or knowledgeable. AnyDVD and IClickCopy are very powerful.. constantly updated and i have yet to find a dvd they can't back up.. This is the ONLY use for my remaining pc... and I intend to run them in parallels when I get my iMac.

I would give anything for the companies to get off there buts and do an OSX version!!! Looking at my pc is almost painful! But I am not willing to give up those softwares...

10. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Winamp is one of those rare Windows programs I use that doesn't have a Mac version. However, version 2.95 runs perfectly in CrossOver 8, for what I use it for at least. Thank goodness I don't have to fire up Boot Camp :p

11. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Games - which were the reason why I bought an Xbox 360. All my other private needs are covered by OS X.

On a professional level: Almost none of the tools that I use every day at work exist for OS X. I can substitute some with the BSD Unix tools that are part of OS X, but I use a lot of comfort when I do that. And lots of the vendor specific configuration and backup tools just have not been ported to OS X and probably never will be ported.

12. exegete77 macrumors 6502a

While the individual tools on the Mac side are superior, there is one that combines those tools into a great application: Nota Bene.

13. steveoc macrumors regular

I haven't used Nota Bene, but DEVONthink and Tinderbox are often cited as Mac alternatives.

14. Locoweed macrumors member

15. ecstasy macrumors 6502

ecstasy

Allok Converter

Literally converts every possible media format to another.

Example: FLV to MP3 / 3GP to MP4 / MP3 to WMA / FLV to MP3

If Allok had a Mac version, that'd be the best.

16. exegete77 macrumors 6502a

Partially; Nota Bene includes the writing environment, bibliographic database and general database all in one program. So, DTP and TB would be on the database and organizing side, but missing the writing. Scrivener is the next logical complement, but still needs a word processor (Nisus Writer Pro or Mellel) and something like Bookends. So there are at least five (excellent) programs, but not integrated into one like Nota Bene.

17. peetah macrumors member

A really good...

text editor. Something along the lines of UltraEdit. A Mac port of UltraEdit would be perfect!

18. Ashka macrumors 6502a

Ashka

19. RobT macrumors 6502a

RobT

20. Detektiv-Pinky macrumors 6502a

Detektiv-Pinky

Something like Copernic

I am missing a truly powerful search feature, that directly shows me the search-term I have entered as a document preview.

I can not understand this: OSX has Spotlight and Quicklook.
    Why is there no integration between the two?

I would love to quickly glance at documents that are turned up during search (and quickly see the actual position in the document where the keyword was found).
    Copernic does this on Windows - for free!

21. dirtygermankid macrumors newbie

A usenet binary client that actually gives you some control would be fantastic. Obviously, NewsLeecher is the model of what all usenet clients should be.. but they have no plans on compiling a mac version due to the language they write the program in.

I've used Unison, it does what it does.. but is painful to use and just offers no customization and is slowwww. I've recently turned to binbot, and that was a great step off which actually uses all of my available bandwidth and is a great step forward.. but I doubt anything will ever compare to NewsLeecher on this platform.

That would be the last step to have any reliance on a Windows machine.

22. juliainor macrumors member

I hope MS decides to make OneNote for Mac. I love OneNote. I've tried Circus Ponies Notebook and a few other "information managers" and they just don't work as well for me as OneNote - and I especially miss the integration with Outlook. I'm hoping beyond hope that the Mac version of Outlook in the next version of Office will not suck and that OneNote will also be part of the package. please please please!

I think that's the only thing I'm really missing right now. Oh, and a cooking/shopping/coupon organizing program. I found MacGourmet and like it, but there's no component for tracking coupons. Bummer.

23. ungraphic macrumors 6502a

ungraphic

Something like Vox, but with a library. iTunes is a memory/resource hog.

www.voxapp.net

[​IMG]

24. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

bringing back an old thread here...

Tag&Rename for Mac.... One of the most used programs on my windows box. This and two other programs from work are the only reasons I have vmware on my box running windows.

I have emailed the developers with no luck.

25. Stevamundo macrumors 6502

Stevamundo

In 10.7 have WINE working perfectly.

If Apple could put that off, I think that would make Microsoft be scared as hell.

To me the only advantage Windows has over OSX, Windows can run tons more applications.