Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
Watched this(again), over the weekend...

Godzilla_(1998_Movie_Poster).jpg

Reactions: Huntn

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
Love this movie while realizing some purists did not like it straying from cannon. All around fun adventure flick with impressive visuals.

Agreed. I really enjoy watching it ever so often ... light-fun-action-adventure-monster flick.

Reactions: Huntn

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Super Bitch a.k.a. Could anyone be more bastard than inspector Cliff? (1973)

Stephanie Beacham and Ivan Rassimov do an Italian crime film in England (and each other throughout). Basically, Rassimov's Eastwood-like narc Cliff is out to bring down rival drug lords (including Patricia Hayes hilarious Mamma the Turk and her very unconvincing hippie boy toys), when Cliff isn't playing around with Beacham and her frequently revealed boobs.

Okay, that probably sounded like Beavis and Butthead dictated this to me, but this is definitely tongue-hanging-out of-cheek with Rassimov and Hayes eagerly out camping each other as the sting deepens.

This is one of my favorite Italian police films because 1) Rassimov plays a rare hero (which after his spaghetti western cycle was not all that common beyond Sacrifice and A White Veil for Mariale). Plus, he gets to have a lot of fun as he playfully jabs at Eastwood's tough guy cops. 2) the clothes and furniture are a blast, and 3) Everyone is in on the joke, even director Massimo Dellamano (who directed one of the best giallos ever made.)

As you can guess from the titles (the latter one cracks me up), this flick does not take itself seriously although the hippie thugs working for Mamma Turk are some of the most unlikable (and true scapegoats) ever inserted into films of the era. Many Italian genre directors hated the counterculture (prior to Manson giving them every reason to), and would slur hippies all the time in their films. This is one of those rare stories where their hatred seems justified.

I'll have to watch the proper DVD I've got lying around (I think I bought because of the featurette on Rassimov, who is a huge reason why I cannot give up Italian films no matter how hard I try.)

Dunno why (as in "dunno why i came to actually buying it"), but the Super Bitch dvd lies on my shelf for quite some time now. Didn't think I'll actually ever watch it but you make it sound like a fun flic.

Also, both thumbs up for the Ghost in the Shell anime.

Reactions: kazmac

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Dunno why (as in "dunno why i came to actually buying it"), but the Super Bitch dvd lies on my shelf for quite some time now. Didn't think I'll actually ever watch it but you make it sound like a fun flic.

Also, both thumbs up for the Ghost in the Shell anime.

SB:
Check your brain at the door and it is fun. Surprisingly cheeky movie from the director of What Have You Done to Solange?

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
220px-Die_Hard_With_A_Vengance.jpg

Watched this last night(again).... sticking with the NYC theme. Happens to be one of the few performances of SLJ I like.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Yes! Highly recommended, and it's surprising how many fans of the "Dead" movies there are who haven't seen it (or The Crazies for that matter).

Yes, The Crazies was crazy. I wish George had the opportunity to explore different monsters; especially considering the unnerving tweak he did on vampires with Martin.

On the giallo side of things, been revisiting The Bird with the Crystal Plumage a lot lately (suddenly fascinated with the sculptures at the Ranieri gallery and certain shots.) Also gearing up to watch the new 4K restoration still unopened. For Dario Argento's debut film, it is very good and one of the best 'rationales' for a killer to go on their spree (if you could rationalize such things.)

Reactions: twietee

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
I revisited Martin a couple of times recently including late last week: that is my favorite Romero movie by far, though I still enjoy Dawn and Night. :(

Yesssir! I loved Martin, I'd say it's easily in my top3 of vampire movies (Nosferatu by Murnau, Blood For Dracula, Vampyr by Dryer - ;)). Different take on the topic but what a shocker. You know I'm a sucker for Night of.. though :D

Also thumbs up for the Crystal Plumage - perfect Giallo, a bit on the tame side for Argento but I love the chemistry between the actors..really digging it. It has some kind of underlying suave atmosphere (for the lack of a better wording) which isn't as present in the other ones by Dario (imho).

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Yesssir! I loved Martin, I'd say it's easily in my top3 of vampire movies (Nosferatu by Murnau, Blood For Dracula, Vampyr by Dryer - ;)). Different take on the topic but what a shocker. You know I'm a sucker for Night of.. though :D

Another couple of recommendations for the vampire genre:

Only Lovers Left Alive, written/dir by Jim Jarmusch, starring Tom Hiddleston and Tilda Swinton

A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night, written/dir by Ana Amirpour, described as "The first Iranian vampire Western" :D

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Another couple of recommendations for the vampire genre:

Only Lovers Left Alive, written/dir by Jim Jarmusch, starring Tom Hiddleston and Tilda Swinton

A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night, written/dir by Ana Amirpour, described as "The first Iranian vampire Western" :D

The Tilda one was indeed quite nice. I'll check out the latter, thanks! :)

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Watched this(again), over the weekend...

View attachment 708972

I couldn't stand this one. The build up was great, but watching him run through the city and then the baby Godzilla scene at the Garden. UGH.

Yes, The Crazies was crazy. I wish George had the opportunity to explore different monsters; especially considering the unnerving tweak he did on vampires with Martin.

On the giallo side of things, been revisiting The Bird with the Crystal Plumage a lot lately (suddenly fascinated with the sculptures at the Ranieri gallery and certain shots.) Also gearing up to watch the new 4K restoration still unopened. For Dario Argento's debut film, it is very good and one of the best 'rationales' for a killer to go on their spree (if you could rationalize such things.)

The Crazies was good. Loved the fact they left it open for a bigger part two if needed!

Since we are watching The Mist on TV, decided to re-watch the movie. Yup still love the ending and there are some similarities, which makes me wonder how they will be able to string out the TV show for a few seasons.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010

Also thumbs up for the Crystal Plumage - perfect Giallo, a bit on the tame side for Argento but I love the chemistry between the actors..really digging it. It has some kind of underlying suave atmosphere (for the lack of a better wording) which isn't as present in the other ones by Dario (imho).

Martin is very unusual and creepy; and Amplas makes you feel for him even though he is a monster; just not the one he has been told he is. The original script for Martin was phenomenal (very novel-like, I still have the novel and probably have the script saved on some hard drive.) Alas, the three hour version of the movie vanished a long time ago.

Not big on vampires, but you cannot go wrong with the classics you mentioned too.

Bird's linear structure, fun performances (how about that painter huh?) and fluidity make it a perfect giallo. Plus, I love how much yellow Argento throws into the color palette, particularly in the gallery building and Sam Dalmas' jeans. It is a hoot to see so much of the color which gave the genre its name. And I love the title bird too (cool looking.)

I understand what you mean about suave or sophisticated; especially when it came later movies which were all excuses for people to be murdered in ridiculously gory fashion. Though, I still love Tenebrae which was was the most linear story Argento shot since Bird. There are rumors Dario will remake Bird, although I thought he already did that with the awful Stendhal Syndrome (that movie prevents Dario from becoming a true favorite director of mine; though I dig a lot of his work and his artistic flourishes.)

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Martin is very unusual and creepy; and Amplas makes you feel for him even though he is a monster; just not the one he has been told he is. The original script for Martin was phenomenal (very novel-like, I still have the novel and probably have the script saved on some hard drive.) Alas, the three hour version of the movie vanished a long time ago.

Not big on vampires, but you cannot go wrong with the classics you mentioned too.

I understand what you mean about suave or sophisticated; especially when it came later moves which were all excuses for people to be murdered in ridiculously gory fashion. Though, I still love Tenebrae which was was the most linear story Argento shot since Bird. There are rumors Dario will remake Bird, although I thought he already did that with the awful Stendhal Syndrome (that movie prevents Dario from becoming a true favorite director of mine though I dig a lot of his work and his artistic flourishes.)

Oh my gosh, Martin would be a good novel to read! I really should do some diggin in the crates internet..

Agreed on vampier movies in general, but there are some truly great ones. I may revisit the old Cushing ones, mostly for nostalgia and because he's a great actor. Also an old Sherlock Holmes piece (with Jeremy Brett) comes to mind with a so-called vampire which I thought excellent (when watching it as a kid).

And for Dario being a fav director - did you saw his Dracula movie? Ugh, I still throw my fist at him for wasting my time with that one.

The Crazies? Never heard of it before - need to remember it and check it out later.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Oh my gosh, Martin would be a good novel to read! I really should do some diggin in the crates internet..

Agreed on vampier movies in general, but there are some truly great ones. I may revisit the old Cushing ones, mostly for nostalgia and because he's a great actor. Also an old Sherlock Holmes piece comes to mind with a so-called vampire which I thought excellent (when watching it as a kid).

And for Dario being a fav director - did you saw his Dracula movie? Ugh, I still throw my fist at him for wasting my time with that one.

The Crazies? Never heard of it before - need to remember it and check it out later.

Yes, many good vampire movies (Near Dark is great for what it does with Western movie conventions and such). The Hammer Draculas are a lot of fun, Cushing and Lee are awesome together (if you want to really see a goofy one, the Hammer - Shaw Brothers Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires is delightfully bad in the best of ways. I love David Chiang in it, but then David makes it easy to love just about everything he was in, even the awful SBs.)

LOL Argento's Dracula can pretty much sum up how far Dario's fallen since Opera (1987). That's why I gravitated toward his protege Michele Soavi for late 80s / early 90s Italian horror. If you've never seen The Sect (holy cow, very nice region 2 blu ray available now), and Dellamorte Dellamore is a very droll, funny and messed up zombie movie.

The Crazies is really intense; one of the most unnerving movies Romero ever made.

Reactions: Queen6 and twietee

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Yes, many good vampire movies (Near Dark is great for what it does with Western movie conventions and such).

Near Dark is terrific, it's low budget but the story, concept and performances are great. The always outstanding Lance Henriksen and Bill Paxton (and fun that Jenette Goldstein is in this, who was Private Vasquez in Aliens, that also starred Henriksen and Paxton!)

I think I actually own this on DVD, I wonder if I can do a DTD upgrade to digital HD[?]

Reactions: twietee and kazmac

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
That's why I gravitated toward his protege Michele Soavi for late 80s / early 90s Italian horror. If you've never seen The Sect (holy cow, very nice region 2 blu ray available now), and Dellamorte Dellamore is a very droll, funny and messed up zombie movie.

The Crazies is really intense; one of the most unnerving movies Romero ever made.

Wait, wait, wait...Kazmac why is this the first time I ever heard about that Soavi guy!?! And The Crazies!!? What went wrong the last couple of years that I missed out on that? :D

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Wait, wait, wait...Kazmac why is this the first time I ever heard about that Soavi guy!?! And The Crazies!!? What went wrong the last couple of years that I missed out on that? :D

Oh wow. Michele Soavi was an Italian actor who ultimately became Argento's assistant director. Soavi directed a few horror films before personal tragedy pushed him away. His style was somewhat like Argento, but ultimately became far more stylized and strange. Dario did write the Manson-like opening for The Sect (which was at least answered later in the movie), but it's one of the most surreal and bizarre good vs. evil Italian horror films you'll see. I love the positive ending too of The Sect too, completely unexpected. Soavi's stories were also more character-centric and he generally got some terrific performances from his casts.

Prior to The Sect, Soavi directed The Church (okay) and Stage Fright (which was a twisted little Italian take on the slasher film in a small drama theatre boasting a killer wearing a giant owl mask.) Many Italian horror fans consider Dellamorte Dellamore to be the last great Italian horror film. It's one of a select few zombie movies I still watch. I actually saw that one theatrically as Cemetery Man. Soavi also directed an early documentary on Argento too.

I would say for surrealism Soavi is a better Fulci (there's some seriously warped religious nightmare imagery in The Sect and anything that casts Herbert Lom as a creepy old cult leader works for me.) Soavi had a terrific "eye" for visuals, well okay, except for this very Monty Python-esque shot from The Church. :p

Shameless films in the U.K. have released The Church, The Sect and Dellamorte Dellamore. I think Stage Fright got a European release too, but I forget who put that out. My scorecard is two great movies (DD and The Sect and two okay ones: The Church and Stage Fright, though I dig the owl mask.)

Attachments

• sect_4.jpg
    sect_4.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 60
  • sect_7.jpg
    sect_7.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 47
  • sect_3.jpg
    sect_3.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 53
  • church7.jpg
    church7.jpg
    444.5 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Mrs AFB's choice.
220px-Europa_Report_Official_Poster.jpg

I'd give it 1 out of 10. If you like predictable storyline (like you'll just catch a glimpse of the aliens right at the end), jerky camera movement (like my Dad's VHS home movie style from back in the day) and to waste 2 hours of your life then this is the movie for you.

Otherwise I'd sooner watch
paint_drying_poster_big.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.