Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I like the music of John Barry; he was one of those guys who cracked the Zeitgeist of the 60s, and was able to stay relevant - musically - for another few decades.

In fairness (to your sister) every composer has their own musical 'tics' or personal preferences re chords and sequences - which recur often in their music - even my adored W. A. Mozart, who was a god almighty genius; you hear a piece you had never come across before, and you just know - ah, 'Mozart'.

Quite so. Sometimes it's not even a tic but just the opening bar of a movement where you can hear the first one or two notes and know what it is. And how can that be? There are millions of many works opening with those same notes, whatever they are. But especially when it's an orchestral work, the scoring, rhythm and the attack will give it away. The first three half-tones of Brahms' First Symphony over the timpani pulsing below on that deep C are unmistakable after a first hearing, no matter who's playing the thing. The second time you hear it, you know it immediately, in the first two beats. It's those drums. Guy did his homework for 20 years before he went for a symphony, and it showed. Could make a movie out of how that work develops... someone should do it!

On Out of Africa: I liked the movie (Redford not so much) but then I read the book and liked the movie less... I liked inclusion of that comment that the Earth was made round so that we would not see too far down the road. That surely seems right on the money to me.

I've been re-watching Cool Hand Luke tonight... R.I.P. Harry Dean Stanton... thanks for @IronWaffle's posts and links on Stanton.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
The wife and I tried watching "Birdman" last night. Thankfully, it was a freebie we had on DVR. It really was unwatchable and we ditched it after about 20 minutes. A truly retched waste of celluloid and talent. After that I cued up "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back". Not exactly prime cinema, but a funny Kevin Smith offering that had me laughing.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Mad Max Fury Road - George Miller still has it. The movie is quite good on so many levels. Watching it again though, probably my last time. The universe isn't really my bag and this one hammered that home. I hope Miller creates a new universe that employs the same pacing, great story telling and interesting characters without being so stuck on Bleak. I've long been over survival of the apocalypse type stories where you consistently see the worst of humanity. He's wonderfully talented...just not my bag.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The wife and I tried watching "Birdman" last night. Thankfully, it was a freebie we had on DVR. It really was unwatchable and we ditched it after about 20 minutes. A truly retched waste of celluloid and talent. After that I cued up "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back". Not exactly prime cinema, but a funny Kevin Smith offering that had me laughing.

Interesting. I've yet to see that.

Mad Max Fury Road - George Miller still has it. The movie is quite good on so many levels. Watching it again though, probably my last time. The universe isn't really my bag and this one hammered that home. I hope Miller creates a new universe that has employs the same pacing, great story telling and interesting characters without being so stuck on Bleak. I've long been over survival of the apocalypse type stories where you consistently see the worst of humanity. He's wonderfully talented...just not my bag.

MMFR is a fantastic action chase movie. Here, here's a picture! :D

maxresdefault.jpg

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Birdman is stellar, of course, it's subjective.

Do you like Kaufman? Movies like Synecdoche, New York? Paul Thomas Anderson? Aronofsky? Have you ever seen the Cassavetes's film Opening Night?
I've not seen those movies. I think it's a case where I'll have to watch and report back. :)

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Saw It. Honestly, best movie of the summer, bar none. Everything about the film was on point. The acting was spectacular, the suspense was overwhelming, the music was a surprising and roaring success, and the whole movie just hit all the right notes. I was scared, thrilled, happy, sad, and fascinated all at the same time.

Must see even for the fringe horror fans. A modern classic.

Reactions: hawkeye_a

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Ce Qui Nous Lie, a French comedy/drama movie about three brothers who reunite after 10 years when their father gets sick. The family owns vineyards and the brothers must put aside their differences to keep the family business still. Nice one.

Ce-qui-nous-lie.jpg

Reactions: arkitect and LizKat

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Suspiria (1977) Young dancer Suzy Bayon (Jessica Harper) travels to a German dance academy to further study her craft, unfortunately that's not the only craft that's brewing. The head mistresses are witches who follow one of the wicked Three Mothers (The Mother of Sighs or Suspirum), Madame Markos. Suzy finds this out the hard way, and the evil women do not want to be exposed so they start killing other students and such until they realize it's Suzy who could bring them down. Uh oh.

This horror flick feels more like a dark fairy tale (super duper grimm especially during the insane murder set pieces), but with its primary color heavy cinematography and harsh, purposely discordant score by Goblin (somewhere between medieval and prog rock), you experience this film a lot more than most. The set design constantly blows my mind with each new detail I stumble across (and, yes, the Japanese actually created a Suspiria bar with wall paper and other bits of the setting.) This is the kind of Italian supernatural horror I enjoy, it feels almost nightmarish with a fairy tale spin and the witches are truly awful. That said, it's NOT scary (at least when you compare to other movies in Dario's filmography), but very entertaining.

Still super bummed I missed the only NY screenings of the restored print soon to be released on blu ray (though I amnot sure if that blu ray will have the Italian language print.)

At any rate, this is a strangely addictive film, and Dario Argento makes you care for Suzy (that's really Jessica Harper though. She's great.) I will probably pass on the star studded remake, because why bother? Now if someone remade Mother of Tears, I'd be all for it. :p

Not sure if this is a recent poster or just awesome fan art (if it's Malleus Rock providing new posters again, awesome. I love it.)

Suspira art.png

Last edited:
Reactions: twietee

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)- A second watch and I decided I like it! :D

6daf9fa4-3062-43fc-a8e8-14bfcf9f1aaf.jpeg
[doublepost=1505784280][/doublepost]
Saw It. Honestly, best movie of the summer, bar none. Everything about the film was on point. The acting was spectacular, the suspense was overwhelming, the music was a surprising and roaring success, and the whole movie just hit all the right notes. I was scared, thrilled, happy, sad, and fascinated all at the same time.

Must see even for the fringe horror fans. A modern classic.
Which movie?

Last edited:

Centaurr

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2015
Florida
didnt know this was a animal rights movie, didnt like it thou. i found it boring and the little girl was alittle annoying. not my cup of tea but then again im the most carnivorous person there is lol

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Repo Man (1984) with another nod to the passing of Harry Dean Stanton... a five star cult classic if you're in the right frame of mind for it. I'm there... I may have been there for awhile since the last time I watched it again. Some great lines in that film but it's like a lot of movies that become cult treasures. It's everything about it, not just certain quotes or certain scenes. All the little gems are special the 10th time or 43rd time you watch a looney film that somehow appeals to you and millions of other people despite one's complete inability to explain why. It becomes like a collection of inside jokes with yourself after awhile. No punchlines in those interior jokes, just satisfaction that yeah he really said that there, one more time.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Frantz, a French drama set in the aftermath of WWI, where a German girl who grieves the death of her fiancé in France meets a mysterious Frenchman who visits the fiancé's grave to lay flowers. Great movie with unexpected turns!
MV5BZmM3MDE2MmEtY2NhNS00MTQyLWFhNzMtZThiZjM1ZmNiNzM4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDU0NjMyNTQ@._V1_.jpg

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Suspiria (1977)

This horror flick feels more like a dark fairy tale ...

View attachment 718797

Agreed! Feels like R. Dahl's The Witches for adults. Nice poster too.

Speaking of Dario: saw Dellamorte Dellamore by his protegée..very nice! Took me a bit by surprise as I was expecting something different (or better: wasn't sure what to expect..maybe something between Dario and Lucio but not sure why). A bit like an Italian version of Evil Dead but way better and lots of nice angles to it. That ending.. <3
[doublepost=1505920342][/doublepost]
Repo Man (1984) with another nod to the passing of Harry Dean Stanton... a five star cult classic if you're in the right frame of mind for it. I'm there... I may have been there for awhile since the last time I watched it again. Some great lines in that film but it's like a lot of movies that become cult treasures. It's everything about it, not just certain quotes or certain scenes. All the little gems are special the 10th time or 43rd time you watch a looney film that somehow appeals to you and millions of other people despite one's complete inability to explain why. It becomes like a collection of inside jokes with yourself after awhile. No punchlines in those interior jokes, just satisfaction that yeah he really said that there, one more time.

Stanton died? Missed that one... oh dear..

Was cheering every scene he had in Twin Peaks (great season in general if you missed it so far - the best show since ages I saw on screen).

Oh, and Repo Man is great of course.

Last edited:

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Agreed! Feels like R. Dahl's The Witches for adults. Nice poster too.

Speaking of Dario: saw Dellamorte Dellamore by his protegée..very nice! Took me a bit by surprise as I was expecting something different (or better: wasn't sure what to expect..maybe something between Dario and Lucio but not sure why). A bit like an Italian version of Evil Dead but way better and lots of nice angles to it. That ending.. <3

Yep, Suspiria is terrific. I watched it again earlier.

Dellamorte... ending is perfect, it throws you for a serious loop and yet makes sense.

Dellamorte Dellamore is a lot of fun. The humor is very British (dry and sometimes slapstick) until it takes that almost serious turn after She is reincarnated before getting completely unhinged and somewhat silly again. Probably my favorite retort is when Dellamorte responds to the zombie mayor who asserts his position:

Zombie Mayor: "I'm the Mayor..."

Dellamorte: "Ex!"

BLAM. :p

Beautiful looking too (but then, that is Michele Soavi, he took Dario's artistic leanings and ran with them.) If you go forward with Soavi's The Sect or Stage Fright, be aware that these movies are much darker & serious in tone but the surreal beauty is also there especially for The Sect. I recommend The Sect over Stage Fright, as the former is a crazy Satanic cult horror with an unpredictable ending that I love.

Reactions: twietee

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Well, at least now I know the answer to that eternal question…

"How bad can it be?"

Worse than you think.

Kong_Skull_Island_poster.jpg

Since the director drew "inspiration" from one of my favourite films — "Apocalypse Now" — I thought we might give this a go.
Heh, ho! Can't wait for the sequel. :eek:

Reactions: Queen6

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
A Dark Song
Horror

Beautiful directed, acted, filmed movie, from Ireland. It's a horror movie, of sorts, it's much more, probably best summed up by this snippet from Nerdist.com:

Scott Weinberg of Nerdist commented that the film's underlying themes pushed it well beyond the horror genre. He wrote, "Two complete strangers cutting themselves off from the world inside of a dilapidated mansion? That's already a movie I want to see. But once A Dark Song starts delving into issues like love, loss, faith, and the natural human reaction to sudden tragedy, that's when it blossoms from a novel concept to a truly powerful piece of genre filmmaking."

Stars Steve Oram and Catherine Walker - some folks may know Oram from an equally terrific movie, again, horror but by way of very black comedy, called Sightseers (from one of my low budget favorites directors, Ben Wheatley).

01-475301.jpg

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
MV5BMjM3ODY3Njc5Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjQ5NjM5MTI@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Just watched this. I found it to actually be pretty good. Now granted it is isn't great, but I actually liked it!
[doublepost=1506030511][/doublepost]
Well, at least now I know the answer to that eternal question…

"How bad can it be?"

Worse than you think.

Kong_Skull_Island_poster.jpg

Since the director drew "inspiration" from one of my favourite films — "Apocalypse Now" — I thought we might give this a go.
Heh, ho! Can't wait for the sequel. :eek:

I actually liked this one. I didn't care for the creatures that came out of the ground, but the rest of the story aside from that is pretty decent. Did you sit for the after the credit scene???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.