Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Horror of Dracula (1958)
Every night for 600 years he rises from his coffin-bed to seek the warm blood he needs to keep himself alive!

Investigating the death of his friend Jonathan Harker--apparently the victim of a bloodsucking vampire--Doctor Van Helsing (Peter Cushing) discovers a diary incriminating Count Dracula (Christopher Lee).

But even as Van Helsing realizes the horrifying truth, Dracula stalks Harker's fiancée, Lucy (Carol Nash), trapping her tortured soul in the terrifying force of his hypnotic power--and only Van Helsing may be strong enough to save her by exorcising the Horror of Dracula.
Screen Shot 2018-10-07 at 6.12.18 PM.png

Reactions: kazmac

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
Just finished watching Out of the Furnace (again).

This was a pleasant surprise I kind of just stumbled onto a few years ago. Somehow I never heard anything about it, and then one night just watched it out of the blue and it was great. I think I also need to revisit it ASAP, so thanks for the reminder!

Watched Deadpool yesterday. I know people who rave about this film. For me it was pretty poor.
I’ll pass on the sequel.

I recently got a new TV, and having never watched a film in HDR, or even 4K, I rented Deadpool 2 from iTunes. The first one was OK, and the second one was more of the same. If the first one wasn't your cup of tea, I probably wouldn't bother with the sequel.

The film (Deadpool 2) looked great, I laughed a couple of times and that was it. Nothing special, but I'd lie if I said I wasn't at least somewhat entertained.

Reactions: Gutwrench

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Watched Deadpool yesterday. I know people who rave about this film. For me it was pretty poor.
I’ll pass on the sequel.

Don't ask my why but I thought the same about the first one - and still ended up seeing the second one once it hit the telly..
..you didn't miss a lot.

They did a very good job with Cable though - too bad Deadpool will always be around when he's in a movie.

Reactions: kazmac

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

I suppose it's a fall/autumn thing with me to watch this movie. While I can nitpick at a few things here-n-there, it is still an outstanding movie, overall.

Fellowship+of+the+Ring+poster.jpg

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Queen of the Damned (2002)
After many years of sleeping in his coffin, the vampire Lestat awakens only to find that the world has changed and he wants to be a part of it. He gathers a following and becomes a rock star only to find that his music awakens the ancient Queen Akasha and she wants him to become her king...
8490AF99-2984-4027-8012-B86B9A064055.jpeg

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
OK, decided to do the PA Trilogy, it's basically a single edit of the 3 movies, in chronological order (3, 1 then 2), I think it also has some slightly tweaked edits in the middle film to create a better wrap-around[?] Anyway, since that's a 4+ hour commitment, moved that to the weekend :)

Oct 01 The Purge
Oct 02 Dawn of the Dead ('04 Remake)
Oct 03 Drag Me to Hell
Oct 04 Get Out
Oct 05 Cabin in the Woods
Oct 06 Paranormal Activity
Oct 07 ~*~ WU-TANG CLAN ~*~
Oct 08 Paranormal Activity 2 (by request ...)
Oct 08 The Lost Boys

Oct 13 Paranormal Activity 3 ... 2

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/what-movie-are-you-watching.1069107/page-475#post-26607388

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
Watched Blade Runner 2049 last night. Denis Villeneuve hits it out of the park, once again. One thing that bummed me out before even starting the film is that we didn't get to hear Jóhann Jóhannssons score.

I was really wary going into this, and that's the reason it took so long for me to finally buy, and watch it. I hadn't read anything about the plot, or much of anything else about the film in general, and pretty much was of the opinion that there was a good chance that this film was one that didn't really need to be made.

It was stunning. To look at, and to listen to. I struggle to remember the last time I was this engrossed in a film, and once I let go of the initial hesitation and let myself go it was just marvelous. In conclusion to say that I liked it would be a gross understatement, and if I think about this film existing in a vacuum I'm finding it hard to come up with serious criticisms. And even as a sequel to one of the best (sci-fi) films ever made I find this one to be one of the better ones out there.

I need to watch this again ASAP.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Trick 'r Treat
Rated R
Directed by Michael Dougherty
Produced by Bryan Singer

Our other movies have all been horror, this is specifically a Halloween horror/dark comedy, so I figured I'd add a little extra to the post. It's an anthology movie, with 3 primary stories, and a "wrap-around" story featuring this incredibly creepy little child-like character Sam, who deals with people who break Halloween tradition - stars Anna Paquin ( a couple of years before she starred in True Blood), Brian Cox (Dr. Lecter :D), Dylan Baker, the creative team has worked together on X-men movies, Singer is very well known.

The stories are overlapped which is really fun (and usually not done with these sort of movies), and that adds an extra bit of twists and turns, figuring out who is what (so to speak :D). Some nice comic book styled prologue/epilogue sequences like EC Comics (used in movies like Creepshow).

Oct 01 The Purge
Oct 02 Dawn of the Dead ('04 Remake)
Oct 03 Drag Me to Hell
Oct 04 Get Out
Oct 05 Cabin in the Woods
Oct 06 Paranormal Activity
Oct 07 ~*~ WU-TANG CLAN ~*~
Oct 08 Paranormal Activity 2 (by request ...)
Oct 08 The Lost Boys
Oct 09 Trick 'r Treat

Oct 13 Paranormal Activity 3 ... 2

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/what-movie-are-you-watching.1069107/page-475#post-26607388

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

ItsNotaTumor

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2016
Venom, ugh. This is a movie you should redbox or see with Moviepass- its ugly, Tom Hardy is miscast, and the climax of the film is just mediocre in scope and execution. The only impressive thing about this movie is how low it aims.

Reactions: Huntn

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Don't ask my why but I thought the same about the first one - and still ended up seeing the second one once it hit the telly..
..you didn't miss a lot.

They did a very good job with Cable though - too bad Deadpool will always be around when he's in a movie.
Yep, Josh Brolin was the only good thing about DP2. There were two very funny scenes (the parachute jump and the mid credits), outside of that I think I am done with Deadpool movies.
[doublepost=1539197327][/doublepost]

Horror movies I have watched in the last week:

Blood and Black Lace
Season of the Witch (George Romero)
Mandy (great visuals and Nick Cage was great. The villains were awful and dragged the movie way down though).

Will probably watch Psychomania soon (haven’t seen it in decades and bought it).

Very tempted to rent Phantasm as it’s been forever since I’ve seen it. That was weird SF horror. Probably get some viewing in on Friday night.

Last edited:
Reactions: twietee

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
The Devil’s Bride (1968) Yay! My all time favorite Christopher Lee role/Hammer movie is on.

Lee plays the Duke Nicholas De Richleau, a WWI vet, whom with his vet buddy Rex Van Ryn, agree to watch over their deceased friend’s son Simon. The dumb behind Simon is, he joins a Satanic cult. So the Duke and Rex spend the rest of the movie saving Simon, a woman named Tanith and relatives while battling the cult.

This movie made me fall in love with: white magicians/wizards, Christopher Lee, and the Good vs. Evil theme. And mask for the devil is fantastic. The acting is perfectly overdramatic as is the score, it is Hammer after all. This movie shaped my good vs. evil writing (along with Raiders of the Lost Ark).

The only things that slightly date this movie are some effects really. Christopher Lee always wanted to remake this, as he enjoyed the story and playing De Richleau, but he thought he was too young for the role when this was made, and some of the FX were not that great.

I do not know how many times I’ve watched this over the years, but it was the first horror movie I ever saw, and for years I imagined the Duke De Richleau was my dad.

Reactions: twietee

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

I suppose it's a fall/autumn thing with me to watch this movie. While I can nitpick at a few things here-n-there, it is still an outstanding movie, overall.

Fellowship+of+the+Ring+poster.jpg

Love the LOTR trilogy. One of the few times I’ve liked the movies better than the books.

Reactions: hawkeye_a

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
A Quiet Place

Great horror/creature-feature. Highly recommended. Beautiful sets. Good acting all around.

poster-large.jpg

That’s two great horror flicks this year! Yay!

Love the LOTR trilogy. One of the few times I’ve liked the movies better than the books.

I held off reading the books so i wouldn’t spoil the movies :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.