Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
@Mefisto it felt like watching a “film”, eh? A rare thing these days IMHO

That's that Villeneuve + Deakins -brand magic at work!

I've been mulling this comment over for a while, and I do agree with it. Thing is I've many times been called a "film snob" or something similar on account of my habit of dividing films into "films" and "movies", but nothing could actually be further from the truth. Personally I really don't see either of those designators as bearing any inherent value judgement, but at the same time (even though I love both!) I'd have a hard time talking about The Naked Gun and The Godfather as films in the same sentence. Or movies. Which is particularly stupid because by definition both are both. Or either. And it should be noted that the rating I gave both of the aforementioned films / movies / whatever on IMDb were just one point apart.

I don't know, sometimes I put too much thought into these things, and that usually results in a lot of incoherent rambling. I'll stop now.

Anyway, just finished watching John Wick: Chapter 2. I liked the first one, and this was more of the same. At times John Woo's classics (such as The Killer or Hard Boiled) came to mind, but that usually happens with films that have a heavy emphasis on gunplay, or bullet ballet, as someone once said in reference to Woo's output.

Entertaining stuff, and a role Keanu Reeves was born to play.

Reactions: hawkeye_a

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
DEEP IMPACT today!

Deep_Impact_poster.jpg

Not exactly a cinematic masterpiece, but I liked it.

Reactions: akash.nu

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
This was a pleasant surprise I kind of just stumbled onto a few years ago. Somehow I never heard anything about it, and then one night just watched it out of the blue and it was great. I think I also need to revisit it ASAP, so thanks for the reminder!

Thank you! Same here. I feel it’s really is a good solid show.

No Country for Old Men is another, but not quite as good...but I’m quibbling.
[doublepost=1539302231][/doublepost]
I recently got a new TV, and having never watched a film in HDR, or even 4K, I rented Deadpool 2 from iTunes. The first one was OK, and the second one was more of the same. If the first one wasn't your cup of tea, I probably wouldn't bother with the sequel.

The film (Deadpool 2) looked great, I laughed a couple of times and that was it. Nothing special, but I'd lie if I said I wasn't at least somewhat entertained.

I had the same experience with the original one. The character was just a bit too snarky for me. Hancock I feel was more amusing and enjoyable.

As for your new television...how do you like it? I don’t buy high quality televisions. I have poor eyesight and my habit is to only pay attention 75% of the time. Unless it’s a good show or when there’s gratuitous nudity, violence, and car chases...of course. I don’t think I could detect a difference between a better television and what I have. I do buy the best movie quality offered.

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
No Country for Old Men is another, but not quite as good...but I’m quibbling.

That's a great one as well! One of those films, where you can practically feel the sand and dirt grinding between your teeth while you're watching. And Javier Bardem's character / hairdo is all sorts of wonderful, as well.

As for your new television...how do you like it? I don’t buy high quality televisions. I have poor eyesight and my habit is to only pay attention 75% of the time. Unless it’s a good show or when there’s gratuitous nudity, violence, and car chases...of course. I don’t think I could detect a difference between a better television and what I have. I do buy the best movie quality offered.

Oh I like it a lot. The previous one was a 42" edge led LCD with more clouds and flashlighting than a dude running in a dark forest waving a flashlight while looking at a cloudy autumn sky, so after putting up with it for close to eight years I decided to go for a 55" OLED and haven't looked back since. Well, technically I have, since currently the old TV is still sitting in my living room but still.

I mainly use the thing for films anyway, and pretty much always in a dark room, so the deep blacks, ridiculous contrast ratio and good viewing angles were the things that sealed the deal for me. It did cost me an arm and a leg, but then again at the time I happened to have two of both, so yeah. The good news is that the figurative limbs are very slowly but very surely growing back as we speak, which is nice.

Reactions: Gutwrench

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
OK, had a change up ... we saw that The Houses October Built 2 was on Hulu (it's Huluween :D), we had seen the first one a couple of years ago, remembered liking it, but it was a late night watch so couldn't remember too many details, read the concept of the sequel, got intrigued, watched 1 and 2 back-to-back for our Oct 11th movie(s), Sinister went back into the randomizer :D

We also just saw that The Haunting of Hill House was just released (been waiting) on Netflix, all 10 EPs, 90% on RT, good reviews all over the net, great cast and director/writer/source material - the Nerdist review (5 out of 5 stars), distilled down to the main 5 review points:

WHY YOU SHOULD WATCH THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE

• THE FAMILY DRAMA IS BRUTALLY RESONATE.
  • THERE IS A BOTTLE EPISODE THAT IS AN ABSOLUTE ALL-TIMER.
  • IT’S GENUINELY TERRIFYING.
  • IT RETAINS THE SPIRIT OF SHIRLEY JACKSON

Looks like we're calling an audible for today!

Oct 01 The Purge
Oct 02 Dawn of the Dead ('04 Remake)
Oct 03 Drag Me to Hell
Oct 04 Get Out
Oct 05 Cabin in the Woods
Oct 06 Paranormal Activity
Oct 07 ~*~ WU-TANG CLAN ~*~
Oct 08 Paranormal Activity 2 (by request ...)
Oct 08 The Lost Boys
Oct 09 Trick 'r Treat
Oct 10 The Conjuring
Oct 11 The Houses October Built 1 & 2 (change-up, choice outside the list)

Oct 12 The Haunting of Hill House (episodes ... TBD)

Oct 13 Paranormal Activity 3 ... 2

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/what-movie-are-you-watching.1069107/page-475#post-26607388

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
Oh I loved it. Actually gasped out loud a few times. I just didn’t like the dad sometimes talking with an American accent and sometime slipping back into his Irish accent.

Been thinking about Hereditary off-n-on for the past couple of weeks (don't you just love it when a movie does that?). I watched ScreenJunkies(YouTube).... and I think I might have missed a lot of the subtleties in the movie, and in doing so underestimated it. Having had them pointed out to me, I am even more impressed with it.

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
Been thinking about Hereditary off-n-on for the past couple of weeks (don't you just love it when a movie does that?). I watched ScreenJunkies(YouTube).... and I think I might have missed a lot of the subtleties in the movie, and in doing so underestimated it. Having had them pointed out to me, I am even more impressed with it.

A great film indeed, and one so layered that there’s a whole lot to discover even after a couple of viewings. I can’t wait to buy it so I can watch it again after having read a little about the various themes in the film.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The Candidate (1972)- Critically acclaimed movie about a political race for US Senator where a newcomer to politics, a liberal Democrat runs against an established Republican. Tame by today’s Standards in the US. Slow moving, but my impression is a realistic look at how messages are altered to appeal to the most people. At least then, some level of honesty was expected. :oops:

Quotes:
How do you feel about welfare?
We subsidize plaines, trains, why not people?

It’s kind of funny when 2 people
(US Senators California) represent 20 million people.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Watched Operation Finale last night. Very good although having read the excellent "Hunting Eichmann" by Neal Bascomb there was a lot Make sure you're quiet when you come in missing from the film. Still worth a watch though.

Reactions: hawkeye_a

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
Watched Operation Finale last night. Very good although having read the excellent "Hunting Eichmann" by Neal Bascomb there was a lot Make sure you're quiet when you come in missing from the film. Still worth a watch though.

I watch Eichmann(2007) almost a decade ago, which is about the interrogation and trial which followed. It might interest you and worth a watch IMHO.

I have seen The Man Who Captured Eichmann(1996) which is about the operation starring Robert Duvall, and thought it was a good movie too.

As a Kingsley fan, i’m curious about this new one.

Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: AVBeatMan

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
Beyond the Valley of the Dolls(1970)

Quirky, strange... weird. Interesting “period piece” with a cool soundtrack. Some of the camera work is really cool too. Story & screenplay by Roger Ebert.

large_kdLnGFkGLk1hijuFX7RmUaxxQVv.jpg

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
So the list and system has degenerated a bit due to time, TV shows that fit int the theme ... and ... general shenanigans :D Going to still keep track of it here in the movie thread :p

Oct 01 The Purge
Oct 02 Dawn of the Dead 2004
Oct 03 Drag Me to Hell
Oct 04 Get Out
Oct 05 Cabin in the Woods
Oct 06 Paranormal Activity
Oct 07 ~*~ WU-TANG CLAN ~*~
Oct 08 Paranormal Activity 1
Oct 08 The Lost Boys
Oct 09 Trick 'r Treat
Oct 10 The Conjuring
Oct 11 The Houses October Built 1 & 2 (change-up, choice outside the list)
Oct 12 The Haunting of Hill House S1EP1 & S1E2
Oct 13 Paranormal Activity 3 & 2
Oct 14 Poltergeist / Haunting of Hill House S1EP3
Oct 15 Haunting of Hill House S1EP4
Oct 16 The Walking Dead S9E2
Oct 17 Poltergeist 2
Oct 18 AHS: Apocalypse S8EP6
Oct 19 Pyewacket (we're totally off script)

Oct 21-22 plan: House of 1000 Corpses + Devil's Rejects Double Feature :D

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/what-movie-are-you-watching.1069107/page-475#post-26607388

Last edited:
Reactions: Gutwrench

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
So the list and system has degenerated a bit due to time, TV shows that fit int the theme ... and ... general shenanigans :D Going to still keep track of it here in the movie thread

That list sounds like one Renzatic would go for. He was trying to get me to watch Dark City the other night instead of trying to re-watch the admittedly unwatchable Godfather Part 3 for the nth time. I neglected to ask which Dark City, so I was confused by time I hit up Imdb for more info.

So I had already fished out the DVD for Godfather Pt 3 and as usual gave up after the fifth or sixth choppy chapter of justice being meted out by the unjust with decorative shots of glamorous parties, elaborate grudge-settling, really tall cakes, some apparently "special" cannoli and the deep revelation that "Crime and politics, they are the same thing... finance is the gun, politics is knowing when to pull the trigger."

My own pre-Halloween move list is for horror-show-averse types. So I search for slightly kid-scary fare like Monster House (2008). I like it when the monster house sucks in an entire squad car and its cynical cops still laughing off the kids' attempt to report a house that eats things and maybe people. Not really a spoiler here since it was even in the trailer: "Don't go on the lawn." Yah, the humor is for kids. So is Halloween, in my book.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
That list sounds like one Renzatic would go for. He was trying to get me to watch Dark City the other night instead of trying to re-watch the admittedly unwatchable Godfather Part 3 for the nth time. I neglected to ask which Dark City, so I was confused by time I hit up Imdb for more info.

So I had already fished out the DVD for Godfather Pt 3 and as usual gave up after the fifth or sixth choppy chapter of justice being meted out by the unjust with decorative shots of glamorous parties, elaborate grudge-settling, really tall cakes, some apparently "special" cannoli and the deep revelation that "Crime and politics, they are the same thing... finance is the gun, politics is knowing when to pull the trigger."

My own pre-Halloween move list is for horror-show-averse types. So I search for slightly kid-scary fare like Monster House (2008). I like it when the monster house sucks in an entire squad car and its cynical cops still laughing off the kids' attempt to report a house that eats things and maybe people. Not really a spoiler here since it was even in the trailer: "Don't go on the lawn." Yah, the humor is for kids. So is Halloween, in my book.

Excellent, we watched Monster House last weekend, well "watched", kind of tossed it on in the background while where were doing some other things around the homestead (including busting out the Halloween decorations).

Did you ever make it to Dark City? It was recently the movie featured on a podcast I listen to, The Incomparables, specifically EP #425 from Sep 22nd, https://www.theincomparable.com/theincomparable/425/ - though, as you might expect, it's filled with major spoilers (they blow the spoiler horn within the first 10 minutes).

We just watched, again, "watched", Nightmare Before Christmas, we were making dinner, the little G had a friend over, figured it was family friendly (though the friend goes on to tell us all the seriously scary stuff she watches with her Mom and Aunt ...)

Ugh ... Godfather 3 ...

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I know, I know. And now I remember again that I know, I know...

OK so I got which Dark City straightened out now, thanks... but I'll have to watch it in the daytime!

A classics pick for me tonight: African Queen.
I love that movie along with the following, although very different:

The Dead Zone
(1983) outstanding book and movie, Stephen King thriller about a man who spent time in a coma, can see the future, and sees a Presidential candidate for what he is. Christopher Walken and Martin Sheen are excellent. And I like Herbert Lom. :) Tempted to make a comparison to today’s politics, but I’ll refrain. :oops:

Fire starter (1984) next! :D

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.