Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It’s that time of the year Hocus Pocus (1993). :)

88F23406-1C48-4821-B8A6-18996D361677.jpeg

Last edited:

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
Just finished watching the DC animated feature "Constantine:City Of Demons". Not a kids cartoon by any stretch. Very well done! Good animation art and story, (it was actually written by a great comics author and produced by Greg Berlanti, who's responsible for the great DC shows on the CW). Rated R, but that's mostly for violence and a tiny sex scene). If you like Constantine or horror then this movie is worth the watch.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
I love that movie along with the following, although very different:

The Dead Zone
(1983) outstanding book and movie, Stephen King thriller about a man who spent time in a coma, can see the future, and sees a Presidential candidate for what he is. Christopher Walken and Martin Sheen are excellent. And I like Herbert Lom. :) Tempted to make a comparison to today’s politics, but I’ll refrain. :oops:

Fire starter (1984) next! :D
They made a pretty good tv show of the Dead Zone a while back.

Reactions: Huntn

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
The Brood(1979)

Came up in recommendations after I watched Hereditary. This movie is a pretty messed up horror-psychological-thriller. Just look at the poster.... *shudder*

The-Brood.jpg

David Cronenberg sure has directed some interesting films. Really recommended watching if you can stomach them, as the themes are sometimes a bit, maybe, transgressive? Just recently rewatched Crash, and still, after having seen it a few times already I always question my decision to watch it while putting the DVD in the player.

When it comes to body horror, there's no one quite like him, that's for sure.

Reactions: pachyderm

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Unspooled just did "Raiders of the Lost Ark" so I'm giving it another watch.

I love this film so damn much. It's a shame they couldn't have Karen Allen in Temple of Doom or the Last Crusade. She is great.

I just finished that episode. What a great podcast. I though I heard everything about the making of Raiders but they found some new stuff for me to enjoy. Bad guy having a robotic arm with a machine gun in it! That would have been great.

Reactions: AustinIllini

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Unspooled just did "Raiders of the Lost Ark" so I'm giving it another watch.

I love this film so damn much. It's a shame they couldn't have Karen Allen in Temple of Doom or the Last Crusade. She is great.
That adventure movie does everything right. The music is burned into my brain. Of course that would be John Williams music. :)

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
So the list and system has degenerated a bit due to time, TV shows that fit int the theme ... and ... general shenanigans :D Going to still keep track of it here in the movie thread :p

Oct 01 The Purge
Oct 02 Dawn of the Dead 2004
Oct 03 Drag Me to Hell
Oct 04 Get Out
Oct 05 Cabin in the Woods
Oct 06 Paranormal Activity
Oct 07 ~*~ WU-TANG CLAN ~*~
Oct 08 Paranormal Activity 1
Oct 08 The Lost Boys
Oct 09 Trick 'r Treat
Oct 10 The Conjuring
Oct 11 The Houses October Built 1 & 2 (change-up, choice outside the list)
Oct 12 The Haunting of Hill House S1EP1 & S1E2
Oct 13 Paranormal Activity 3 & 2
Oct 14 Poltergeist / Haunting of Hill House S1EP3
Oct 15 The Haunting of Hill House S1EP4
Oct 16 The Walking Dead S9E2
Oct 17 Poltergeist 2
Oct 18 AHS: Apocalypse S8EP6
Oct 19 Pyewacket (we're totally off script)
Oct 20 Apostle (2018 Netflix original)
Oct 21 The Haunting of Hill House S1E5, S1E6, S1E7
Oct 22 The Walking Dead S9E3 (short night, late dinner, Film Camp and Modern ...)
Oct 23

Oct 21-22 plan: House of 1000 Corpses + Devil's Rejects Double Feature

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/what-movie-are-you-watching.1069107/page-475#post-26607388

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
This is on my agenda for this evening / night. I’ve read some pretty good things about it, how did you like it?

It's very good, Dan Stevens (aka Legion) and Michael Sheen are awesome (should be no surprise ...), all the other cast is excellent too, great atmosphere, some scary moments, works on a couple of different levels (literal, wacky cultists, metaphorical, the nature of worship, gods and man, destruction of nature). The director, Gareth Evans has a pretty impressive resume in the horror space, and he's also the writer/director of the insanely fun, crazy action films The Raid / The Raid 2 (also both highly recommended).

My only negative critique: it's too long, I get the need in this kind of film for a slow burn, establish place, time, atmosphere (it's period horror), but about 20-25 minutes shorter and it would've been tight, and had better last half momentum, as it is, it kind of has some pacing issues in the middle act.

.. but still ... THE GRINDER :D

landscape-1539342549-apostle-the-grinder.jpg

Reactions: Mefisto

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
It's very good, Dan Stevens (aka Legion) and Michael Sheen are awesome (should be no surprise ...), all the other cast is excellent too, great atmosphere, some scary moments, works on a couple of different levels (literal, wacky cultists, metaphorical, the nature of worship, gods and man, destruction of nature). The director, Gareth Evans has a pretty impressive resume in the horror space, and he's also the writer/director of the insanely fun, crazy action films The Raid / The Raid 2 (also both highly recommended).

My only negative critique: it's too long, I get the need in this kind of film for a slow burn, establish place, time, atmosphere (it's period horror), but about 20-25 minutes shorter and it would've been tight, and had better last half momentum, as it is, it kind of has some pacing issues in the middle act.

.. but still ... THE GRINDER :D

The bolded is the main reason this even caught my attention in the first place, as I'm in total agreement on The Raids one and two! Iko Uwais sure has moves, and in general it's refreshing to see Pencak Silat, and all the other Indonesian trappings in martial arts films. Merantau, Evans' second feature also starring Iko Uwais was also pretty entertaining.

Thanks for the review of Apostle, this sounds almost exactly like what I need today. I did my best to not see the spoiler, but the little I did glimpse while quoting your message certainly piqued my interest!

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I love that movie along with the following, although very different:

The Dead Zone
(1983) outstanding book and movie, Stephen King thriller about a man who spent time in a coma, can see the future, and sees a Presidential candidate for what he is. Christopher Walken and Martin Sheen are excellent. And I like Herbert Lom. :) Tempted to make a comparison to today’s politics, but I’ll refrain. :oops:

Fire starter (1984) next! :D

I just watched "The Dead Zone" this weekend also. They were doing a Stephen King marathon. Caught this one and also Graveyard Shift.

I agree regarding TDZ and today's politics... :eek:
[doublepost=1540334481][/doublepost]
It’s that time of the year Hocus Pocus (1993). :)

Yup watched this one also. This is one of the Wife's favorite movies!

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Oct 01 The Purge
Oct 02 Dawn of the Dead 2004
Oct 03 Drag Me to Hell
Oct 04 Get Out
Oct 05 Cabin in the Woods
Oct 06 Paranormal Activity
Oct 07 ~*~ WU-TANG CLAN ~*~
Oct 08 Paranormal Activity 1
Oct 08 The Lost Boys
Oct 09 Trick 'r Treat
Oct 10 The Conjuring
Oct 11 The Houses October Built 1 & 2(change-up, choice outside the list)
Oct 12 The Haunting of Hill House S1EP1 & S1E2
Oct 13 Paranormal Activity 3 & 2
Oct 14 Poltergeist / Haunting of Hill House S1EP3
Oct 15 The Haunting of Hill House S1EP4
Oct 16 The Walking Dead S9E2
Oct 17 Poltergeist 2
Oct 18 AHS: Apocalypse S8EP6
Oct 19 Pyewacket (we're totally off script)
Oct 20 Apostle (2018 Netflix original)
Oct 21 The Haunting of Hill House S1E5, S1E6, S1E7
Oct 22 The Walking Dead S9E3 (short night, late dinner, Film Camp and Modern ...)
Oct 23 THoHH S1E8 & House of 1000 Corpses + Devil's Rejects (Double RZ Feature)

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/what-movie-are-you-watching.1069107/page-475#post-26607388

Last edited:

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
^I actually liked it quite a bit. Sure, it has it's flaws (f. ex. the pacing issues mentioned by D.T.) but as a whole it worked. The gore was delivered in short bursts, so I didn't get the feeling it was that gratuitous, and actually fit the whole narrative of religious fanaticism in the flim. In general the film reminded me a little of the wonderful The VVitch: A New-England Folktale, in that both are period pieces, and very much slow burn films with, depending on how one enjoys their films (and there's no wrong way to do that), little to none, or massive payoffs.

But regarding Apostle, It's been a while since I've seen anything with Dan Stevens in it, and after the credits started I remembered that he starred in the great The Guest (2014). Recommended for the soundtrack alone, but the film is, in all of it's absurdity, very entertaining as well.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
^I actually liked it quite a bit. Sure, it has it's flaws (f. ex. the pacing issues mentioned by D.T.) but as a whole it worked. The gore was delivered in short bursts, so I didn't get the feeling it was that gratuitous, and actually fit the whole narrative of religious fanaticism in the flim. In general the film reminded me a little of the wonderful The VVitch: A New-England Folktale, in that both are period pieces, and very much slow burn films with, depending on how one enjoys their films (and there's no wrong way to do that), little to none, or massive payoffs.

But regarding Apostle, It's been a while since I've seen anything with Dan Stevens in it, and after the credits started I remembered that he starred in the great The Guest (2014). Recommended for the soundtrack alone, but the film is, in all of it's absurdity, very entertaining as well.
Did you watch Season 1 of Legion (FX)? Stevens and Aubrey Plaza are amazing, that first season was amazing. The second season went off the rails imo.

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
Did you watch Season 1 of Legion (FX)? Stevens and Aubrey Plaza are amazing, that first season was amazing. The second season went off the rails imo.

Never saw the show Legion, though I have the film by the same name, starring Paul Bettany. I don't really care for it so I guess that's why I've skipped the show altogether. It seems I need to reverse my decision and look into it, so thanks!

edit: It seems the film and the show have nothing to do with each other, so that's maybe something I could have looked into before dismissing the show outright. Oh well, better late than never.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.