What Movie Are You Watching?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Huntn, Dec 24, 2010.

1. hawkeye_a macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a

Godzilla: King of the Monsters(2019)
    Monsters fighting good. Too much people stuff tho.
    [​IMG]

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

3. Nishant macrumors member

4. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Aladdin (2019). A somewhat decent movie, but I'd put it at the bottom of the ranking of the various Disney classic movies. The cartoon is much better. I think that the semi-political subplot detracted from the movie and the plot itself.
    [​IMG]

Into the Storm (2014). Definitely a good, watchable, and historically accurate movie. Highly recommended as a follow up to The Gathering Storm.

[​IMG]

Twin Peaks - International Pilot (1990). As I am preparing for my Twin Peaks The Return 18-hour long marathon, I watched the International Pilot for the original Twin Peaks. When Lynch contracted for the series, he was forced to film a self-contained episode, that is a made for TV movie with an ending. Most of the International Pilot is identical to the Series' pilot (aka "Northwest Passage"), but it diverges quite substantially in the last 20 minutes or so. It is interesting that some of the elements that we will see later in the Series and even 25+ years later are emerging in the International Pilot. This is probably the third time I see this version of the pilot as I find it inferior to the actual series' pilot (which I watched at least 50 times).

[​IMG]

5. Mefisto macrumors 6502a

Mefisto

Well, since I just read about David Lynch receiving an Academy Honorary Award (and very soon after that I read this post of yours), I guess it's time for me to watch a fim of his now as well. Blue Velvet is one I haven't seen in some time, so that's going to be the one.

6. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

ah good choice. what a movie, I'll watch it again pretty soon. Very happy about Lynch getting the AA!

7. hawkeye_a macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a

Glory be oh happy day, another movie i can look forward to this year....
    Ford vs Ferrari(trailer)

8. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

[​IMG]

9. hawkeye_a macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a

The World's Fastest Indian(2005)
    One of those movies that's been on my to-watch list for over a decade. Pretty good. There's an eccentric collection of characters, most of whom fit pretty well into the story. One aspect I found interesting was the subtle portrayal of "culture shock". Hopkins' performance was good, although he cannot pull off a Kiwi accent, which is a little jarring when the other actors around him are Kiwi.

Worth a watch.

[​IMG]

10. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

I stumbled across this a while back. It was a good watch, but I agree with you on the accent.

11. Zenithal macrumors G3

I can't wait for this. I've read there's another Ferrari film due to come out in a year or two.

12. Queen6, Jun 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2019

Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

Flying over the rainforest at dawn - Priceless
    Not a film, however revisiting Space Above and Beyond (SAAB) from 1995/1996. One shot series that spanned 24 episodes, tremendously enjoyable. Some solid acting and smart use of effects for the period, with serious intent and entertaining Gung Ho antics, not to be taken overly seriously mind. Pity Fox axed it in favour of who knows what other boring sitcom...
    SAAB.jpg
    Ray Butts rocks :p:p:p Given the age SAAB is still a solid 7.7 on IMDB, with some episodes as high as a 9.0 then again what would we the viewers know about what we like o_O You can get behind the characters, just don't take it too literally or an exposition on how the military remotely operates. All in all a great watch for those who like the genre.

Sorry DVD only as for as I know, even then it took a concerted effort by fans to push FOX to eventually release the disks. I converted mine to digital years ago for a more portable format. I think SAAB is like Space 1999 you'll either love or oath :apple:
    Space 1999.jpg
    Space 1999 (1975) was epic for it's time. TBH Space 1999 still stands up really well today especially the first series, given it was a TV production albeit a little psychedelic in places. If that's your thing try UFO from 1970 as that gets way out there at times :p

Q-6

13. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

Well, we finished off "Good Omens". It was the best thing I've seen in ages. Watch it!
    Also finished off Season One of "The Tick". It made me happy! Now onto Season 2.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 8, 2019 ---
    I have that set myself. My wife and I watched it when it originally aired and it still blows us away, after all these years! Just a phenomenal show that Fox, as usual, refused to support.

14. Queen6, Jun 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2019

Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

Flying over the rainforest at dawn - Priceless
    Agreed, all I know who have watched SAAB really enjoyed the series. I mean all the episodes, including my youngest who's just 10. He obviously doesn't get the subtler points, however loves the overall theme and variation of the action.

There's a lot going on in SAAB and maybe Fox just lost it's nerve, who knows? IMO SAAB should have continued and if anything intensified. A lot of "abrasive" subjects are wrapped up in a far more acceptable forms and to some extents addressed, yet still food for thought. Above all SAAB is simply a great watch overall.

For those new to SAAB stay with the first two episodes (pilot) as the series significantly switches gear's from episode 3 onwards and builds all the way to 24. I've really gone off Fox these days as it's just become another machine to make $, not produce the best possible content...

Queen-6 :p

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Watched Guardians Of The Galaxy 2 today. Good, but wasn't as good as the first one.

16. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

IMO, Kurt Russell was the only good thing about it -and for me- it’s a painful wait until he showed up. Only the inclusion of
    Thor
    would get me to watch vol. 3.

Watching a lot of Shaw Brothers, paying rapt attention to Lo Lieh’s martial abilities as he was a great actor (Lo was one of SB’s most charismatic actors-fighters). I hope to write a birthday piece about him and give Lo the same attention as I have David Chiang (who was born on the same day). Probably have to dust off King Boxer as that was the movie that kicked off the martial arts craze in the States months before Bruce Lee.

Most of all, I want to watch fun stuff right now: Shaw Brothers scratches that itch.

17. pachyderm macrumors 603

pachyderm

18. Matz Contributor

Matz

Kill Bill, Volume 1.

upload_2019-6-10_8-56-25.png

I like most, but not all, of Quentin Tarantino’s movies. I believe this is one of his best. Great casting and dialog, soundtrack, and ultra violence done in a way that is at once over the top and fascinating to watch. A revenge movie that is most definitely a cut above.

Looking forward to watching Kill Bill, Volume 2.

19. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

John Wick (2014). Great action movie, I definitely enjoyed it despite the light plot.
    John Wick: Chapter 2 (2017). Another good action movie. It was interesting to hear many actors speak Italian; I'd say that Keanu Reeves speaks with a good Italian accent.
    John Wick: Chapter 3 (2019). Definitely light on plot, but it was still a good action movie.

20. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

21. mikzn macrumors 65816

mikzn

Clara (2018) - Sci Fi - really enjoyed it - was not expecting much - a nice suprise :)

clara.png

22. Huntn, Jun 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019

Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

Double Jeopardy (1999)- Most excellent crime drama about a woman convicted of murdering her husband. After that excitement, goes to jail, loses track of her child, and then discovers something even more exciting about her husband! Good story, tense, rooting for Ashley Judd the entire movie.

A57CCDAC-B951-4AEF-A4E7-81090B7215DD.jpeg
    The happy couple :eek:

23. hawkeye_a, Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019

hawkeye_a macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a

Corpse Bride(2005)
    One of those lesser-known animated movies, and one i really like. I've got a soft spot for stop-motion-animation.
    [​IMG]

24. Huntn, Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2019 at 5:49 AM

Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

Aliens (1986)- I still get chills when I hear the ping of the motion tracker. I played Aliens vs Predator on my computer about 1999 and ended up with a sore neck due to tension. :p

You know Burk, I don’t know which species is worse. You don’t see them ****ing each other over for a God damned percentage.

One of the best sci-fi sequels ever made, a story with non-stop action and tension. True to the original 1979 film’s atmosphere, environment, and fidelity. It starts in the form of a bad dream to launch the viewer right back into the terror. Then back to LV426 to find out why the shake and bake terraforming colony has gone silent. This is the planet that the Nostromo original homed in on to find a derelict spaceship in the original 1979 movie. About 50 minutes in, things go downhill rapidly, but Ripley kicks some alien buttocks.

The original theatric release is much better than the later, extended version (Director’s cut?) because the original left it to the viewer’s imagination why the colony went dark, not showing you in advance exactly what happened. From knowledge that the colony went silent, to the the jump ship circling the shuttered windows of the colony, to running a bypass to open the door in, the viewer knows and experiences magnified tension waiting for confirmation. :) The only good thing the extended version had was watching the sentry guns emptying their magazines, before the alien assault begins.

All of this excellence was followed by the third completely dismal Alien 3 film, talk about taking away our happy ending...

Which image do you prefer? :D

FB331037-6D36-4083-BC20-7573DAB29796.jpeg

D036EB92-6831-4734-9BEC-345C88127C87.jpeg

25. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Saw Avengers: Endgame the other day. Not bad, but not the best in the series either.