What Movie Are You Watching?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Huntn, Dec 24, 2010.

1. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

The Gathering Storm (2002). A most excellent movie about Churchill's 1930's before his return to the Admiralty. Albert Finney is spectacular in his portrayal of the former PM, and the movie is quite precise historically speaking. I am reading the II tome of Churchill's biography by Manchester and I have got to say that many of the episodes described in the book are in the movie - with some dramatization of course. I believe that the full movie is on youtube, I highly recommend it. I also find this movie much superior to The Darkest Hour (2017). One of the reasons I say this is that The Gathering Storm displays Mr. Churchill in his full rudeness, while The Darkest Hour created a couple of episodes (especially one that really bothered me) to make him more likeable.

[​IMG]

On a side note, in my previous viewings I never noticed that Lena Hadey (aka Cersei Lannister) is in the movie and - dare I say it - quite beautiful in it.

[​IMG]

2. trillionaire macrumors regular

trillionaire

Watched Shazam this weekend. The trailer made it look like a really good superhero flick, but that's not the impression I got. It seemed to be too childish, though maybe that's what they were going for. I was disappointed with it. Not sure if DC will ever reach the levels of the MCU.

3. Mefisto macrumors 6502a

Mefisto

Just noticed that David Fincher's Se7en is on the TV. This is a film that I watch every time I come across it, one of my all time favorites.

Full of great little details, one of my favorites being the face Somerset makes when he, during one of the vibrations at Mills' house, notices that when being offered a beer and instead opting to go with wine, Mills had actually brought him a pint of red, instead of a regular wine glass. Tells us more about the characters and who they are than two pages of dialogue (maybe) would.

Fantastic film all around; the direction / the way it's shot, the cast, script, the soundtrack, all in a class of their own.

4. hawkeye_a macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a

Into The Storm (2009) next?

Even though Gary Oldman is my favorite actor, I like The Gathering Storm and Into The Storm more than Darkest Hour, personally. (I think having two feature length movies to tell the story, with a lot more detail of the man was definitely an advantage.).

5. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Yes, I plan to watch Into The Storm again. Not as good as The Gathering Storm but it's still great nonetheless.

6. Zenithal macrumors 604

I was very fond of Into the Storm. I'd completely forgotten watching it until your post, Hawkeye. Might have to rewatch it again!

7. pachyderm macrumors 603

pachyderm

The early Captain Marvel/Shazam comics were kind of silly.
    [​IMG]

One of his cohorts was a walking upright, talking tiger.

[​IMG]

He solved crimes but most of the action and dialogue was light hearted.

8. Mefisto macrumors 6502a

Mefisto

Shane Black: Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005)

A modern classic, this one. One of the great films where everything just clicks; the cast is great, the story is fun, there's that familiar Blackness in the script, and as far as rewatchability/quotability goes this one has it in spades. Can't believe it's almost 15 years old already.

9. Stark3000 Suspended

Stark3000

Watched WIDOWS last night. It’s kind of a heist film but very character driven. More about loss and moving on than the actually heist. Very entertaining.

10. RootBeerMan, May 25, 2019
    Last edited: May 25, 2019

RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

Watched "Mortal Engines" with the family last night. Not a bad movie, but Peter Jackson didn't do his best work with this one. It was OK for a Netflix DVD rental, but I'm glad I didn't go to see it in the theatre. Had a few of my favourite actors in it, but the whole affair was kinda mediocre.

[​IMG]

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

What an excellent movie! One of my favorites.

12. Zenithal macrumors 604

Excellent film.

13. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Fire Walk With Me (1992+2014). This is a bit odd as I have seen this movie probably ten times, yet yesterday I watched it for the first time.
    FWWM is the controversial prequel of the TV series Twin Peaks that was canceled after the second season. It was released in 1992 as David Lynch wanted to provide some background to the canceled series. The movie was met with lots of criticism but now it’s considered a classic despite being quite intricate.
    In 2014, while working on the third season (Twin Peaks:The Return) that was to reprise the series after 25 years as promised, David Lynch was able to release 90 minutes of extra footage that was originally meant to be in the movie. The extra footage was released as broken scenes. A very devout fan (a saint) made a fan edit which incorporates the newly released scenes within the original movie. The result is simply outstanding and the movie gains a lot in terms of depth and clarity despite being now about 3 hours and a half long. I think that this is going my to-go version from now on.
    Vote: 5 stars.

14. millerj123 macrumors 65816

Maze runner thingy 1 and 2. Wow! These are really bad. I hope the book was okay.

15. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

Watched "Aquaman" again. This time in 4K UHD. Still looks great and we enjoyed the movie just as much as when we saw it in the theatre.

16. Stark3000 Suspended

Stark3000

John Wick. Crazy action flick. The stunts were out of control. Seems like the wick films are like the mission impossible movies, each new one 1-upping the last one. Can’t wait for the 4th.

17. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

Over the top action killed MO for me. The first one, I loved! :)

18. Fira1234 macrumors newbie

I'm watching one of the Marvel movies which is Avengers: Infinity War. I think you will like it.

19. hawkeye_a macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a

Maggie(2015)
    A different, subtle and interesting perspective to the zombie apocalypse tale. The performances, including Arnold's, were much better than expected. It's a slow burn and not a high-paced action flick.
    [​IMG]

20. Zenithal macrumors 604

21. max2 macrumors 68030

Yep.

22. millerj123 macrumors 65816

[​IMG]
    Always Be My Maybe. Stellar cast, decent rom-com. Keanu Reeves stole his part of the show.

23. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

The English Patient. Based on an Ondaatje novel, and I had mentioned it yesterday in another thread while noting I was reading another work of his.

That reminded me I hadn't watched that film again for awhile. So many moments where the cinematography is just stunning... the brief duet of biplanes practically nuzzling each other over the deserts in North Africa, wow. That film had me locked in from the opening credits to the end. So intimate and caring, but so reflective of the remote mercilessness of war, and ultimately so tragic. A challenge to convert its maze-like plot regressions and relationships into a film, but I thought it was exquisitely transformed. Whoever may have shrugged it off as "romantic" and skipped a watch may have missed seeing a great flim over a casual miscategorization. I don't know what I'd call it. Deeply instructive, anyway. One of those films where the characters tell me more every time I watch it again.

24. Zenithal macrumors 604

For an introduction to the story, it wasn't all that bad. However, the last 30 minutes felt like a squeeze the production team decided on to fit a lot of story line into a short time span. A sequel is due in late 2020 according to IMDB. Hopefully that fleshes out more of the story.

25. langhaare macrumors newbie

langhaare