Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Qwe9203

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2014
t

No it is not, this is misinformation sorry. 610 is what displayed back in non retina days when there was multiple manufacturers.

610 was displayed when you could run a terminal line to have it output LG or Samsung when retina Macs first came out.

A0xx is what determines whether its same manufacturer or not. But we don't know who aligns with which one

Looks like you are correct. So now we have to play the display panel lottery too?

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
Color me totally confused... You liked the panel but returned it because someone on the internet said it had an issue?

Yeah I did have some skepticism after some things pointed out on the screen. I returned it more so on the uncertainty if it was the right model for me. After I returned it I missed the new form factor and decided to go the TB version which I received last night. I think the screen looks very good, as I did the first one till I took a picture lol... I won't be posting any pictures of this screen, it just looks great and you will have to trust me :)

I am only 24 hours on it but no issues yet. I think the touch bar is very attractive and I like its innovation. I will use this TB more then I did the old F keys, in saying I hardly used those Function keys but I find myself interested in the TB keys and the options.

My model is 28 days old, I bought it in stock from B&H base TB. It has a A0034 screen.

Reactions: raqball

esaelias

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2016
my 13 inch is a034 perfect and no backlight at all! but im returning it for a 15 imch macbook

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I'd prefer not to say ha. It wasn't just due to the screen...

I hear ya. There's one apple product in particular I care to not get into the actual specifics nor remember them fully in relation to exchange hell but: iPad 3. I still have never been as persistent with anything in terms of seeking a good or doable build, to date. Nor prior.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
I hear ya. There's one apple product in particular I care to not get into the actual specifics nor remember them fully in relation to exchange hell but: iPad 3. I still have never been as persistent with anything in terms of seeking a good or doable build, to date. Nor prior.

I swapped out so many iPad 3's it was an absolute joke!

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK

I can relate, I'd love a perfect Apple product from the off, but sadly, when the factories are under pressure to pump out millions at launches, we have no hope of perfect products first time round. Some people get lucky.

esaelias

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2016
hello guys a031 here now is that good I have no backlight bleed and the white look quite consistent?

To_Be_Young

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2017
Hey everyone.

I'm new here, - just found this thread and read through all of the posts and thought I'd sign up and join. I just returned a 13" nMBP the other day and got a new one in exchange. Unfortunately I wasn't aware they had different panels and so I didn't check that before making the exchange. The one I returned was purchased alongside another one at the same time (my girlfriend's which hasn't been exchanged) and the comparison between those two were the reason why I exchanged mine. Now our nMBP's look the same. Here's a pic of the differences between the one I used to have and the one she still has. We now both have the A034 panel. Like I said, I didn't check what panel the one I exchanged had but do you think that one might have had the A033 panel? I've never owned an Apple product before but I figured that the difference you can see on the photo really wasn't supposed to be there, which is why I exchanged it without hesitation. It definitely looks like a defect that the one on the left is so reddish when viewed from almost all angles. Sitting in front of them, there was little difference. I should note that the ones we have now also look quite different from the ones they had in the store. They looked blue-ish/brighter and ours look a little dimmer and yellowish. The one I returned looked very different from all of them - much too reddish. I kinda which the ones we have now (A034) looked more blue-ish/brighter like the ones they had in the store rather than dim/yellowish. In the store I checked the calibration settings and they were default so they didn't look different because of a change of settings. I didn't check what panel they had though as I only just now figured out how to do that by reading this thread. Considering that the two A034's we have right now look completely similar (I would take a photo, but my girlfriend is not home and has hers with her), I suppose we should be satisfied with them although we'd both prefer more brightness? They look very uniform and not yellowish anywhere such as the ones that have been displayed in this thread. When I say they look yellowish in comparison to those in the store, it's really only because those in the store looked really blue-ish and very bright. Ours definitely looked pretty dim compared to those. All comparisons are of course based on the same brightness level (max) and the same factory default white point calibration.

Finally, is there any software that allows you to measure the nits on your screen? Wondering if ours would have a slightly smaller nit-level than expected (as they look a little dim compared to those others I've seen in the store).

Thanks guys, good thread you've got going here.

Attachments

• 20170225_194025.jpg
    20170225_194025.jpg
    929.5 KB · Views: 166

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Hey everyone.

I'm new here, - just found this thread and read through all of the posts and thought I'd sign up and join. I just returned a 13" nMBP the other day and got a new one in exchange. Unfortunately I wasn't aware they had different panels and so I didn't check that before making the exchange. The one I returned was purchased alongside another one at the same time (my girlfriend's which hasn't been exchanged) and the comparison between those two were the reason why I exchanged mine. Now our nMBP's look the same. Here's a pic of the differences between the one I used to have and the one she still has. We now both have the A034 panel. Like I said, I didn't check what panel the one I exchanged had but do you think that one might have had the A033 panel? I've never owned an Apple product before but I figured that the difference you can see on the photo really wasn't supposed to be there, which is why I exchanged it without hesitation. It definitely looks like a defect that the one on the left is so reddish when viewed from almost all angles. Sitting in front of them, there was little difference. I should note that the ones we have now also look quite different from the ones they had in the store. They looked blue-ish/brighter and ours look a little dimmer and yellowish. The one I returned looked very different from all of them - much too reddish. I kinda which the ones we have now (A034) looked more blue-ish/brighter like the ones they had in the store rather than dim/yellowish. In the store I checked the calibration settings and they were default so they didn't look different because of a change of settings. I didn't check what panel they had though as I only just now figured out how to do that by reading this thread. Considering that the two A034's we have right now look completely similar (I would take a photo, but my girlfriend is not home and has hers with her), I suppose we should be satisfied with them although we'd both prefer more brightness? They look very uniform and not yellowish anywhere such as the ones that have been displayed in this thread. When I say they look yellowish in comparison to those in the store, it's really only because those in the store looked really blue-ish and very bright. Ours definitely looked pretty dim compared to those. All comparisons are of course based on the same brightness level (max) and the same factory default white point calibration.

Finally, is there any software that allows you to measure the nits on your screen? Wondering if ours would have a slightly smaller nit-level than expected (as they look a little dim compared to those others I've seen in the store).

Thanks guys, good thread you've got going here.

So you compared yours side by side with the ones in the store? Possibly not being plugged in makes a difference at max brightness, and there's some speculation that auto-brightness also matters.

You have to buy hardware to measure screen brightness and color. Just google monitor calibration.

To_Be_Young

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2017
So you compared yours side by side with the ones in the store? Possibly not being plugged in makes a difference at max brightness, and there's some speculation that auto-brightness also matters.

You have to buy hardware to measure screen brightness and color. Just google monitor calibration.
Yes, but the photo I uploaded above is not of that comparison but of the MacBook i returned and the one that my girlfriend still has. To sum up we experienced three pretty different screens (I know only two models exist though; A033 and A034 - but clearly there are individual differences as well): The two MBs we have now (both A034) are similar and look a little dim, the one I returned seemed to be defect and looked very reddish, and finally the ones in the store looked blue-ish and a little brighter than the two we have ourselves at the moment.

Ah okay, thanks.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Yes, but the photo I uploaded above is not of that comparison but of the MacBook i returned and the one that my girlfriend still has. To sum up we experienced three pretty different screens (I know only two models exist though; A033 and A034 - but clearly there are individual differences as well): The two MBs we have now (both A034) are similar and look a little dim, the one I returned seemed to be defect and looked very reddish, and finally the ones in the store looked blue-ish and a little brighter than the two we have ourselves at the moment.

Ah okay, thanks.

If this is a big enough concern for you, go back to the store with your machine and check it next to the store models with both running on battery with auto-brightness turned off, with the same material on the screen. You can double check the other variables involving color profiles and such. (I suggest using the brightness you normally use, not max brightness, but you can compare that too.) There shouldn't be much difference.

To_Be_Young

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2017
If this is a big enough concern for you, go back to the store with your machine and check it next to the store models with both running on battery with auto-brightness turned off, with the same material on the screen. You can double check the other variables involving color profiles and such. (I suggest using the brightness you normally use, not max brightness, but you can compare that too.) There shouldn't be much difference.
I did all that. Screens can look pretty different. You should read all posts on this thread, then you'd know.

ilifecomputer

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
CA
A031, but thinking about returning as it's got a pink tint on the left, yellower/greener on the right...

Move your head around foolishly and look at it from different angles and see how those tints shift. The pink to green might be attributed to the anti reflective coating.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
I did all that. Screens can look pretty different. You should read all posts on this thread, then you'd know.

You compared them in-store with both running on battery power with auto-brightness on both turned off? (I have read the thread, and related ones. None of them indicate any large difference between screen model numbers.)

Edit: you can also check the screen model numbers at the store.

erasr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
Check this out, I have two identical MBPs but one 16gb and the other 8gb.

I was going to send the 8gb one back but after comparing the display it shocked me how different they were.

The 034 (16gb) on the right has a more warmer tint and isn’t as bright but looks way better at different angles.

The 033 (8gb) on the left has a crisper white when looking face on but is poor at angles.

Maybe the warmer (034) is more consistent...

Not sure what to do and have one day to decide.

Attachments

• 74203F6A-70BC-4FE6-8638-B4B921627921.jpeg
    74203F6A-70BC-4FE6-8638-B4B921627921.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 191
Reactions: bartvk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.