Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scott Lashville

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2021
Now my iPhone uses a tempered glass screen protector, but it will thicken the phone, and if you drop it once, the screen protector will crack. Do you have any better screen protectors to recommend?
Tempered glasses always crack in a few months which is very irritating and make you go mad! I use a film screen guard from Gadgetshieldz and a Spigen case for good protection. This protector is good with self-healing of scratches that occur on it, saw the scratches disappear within a day! It covers all over the edge and the Spigen case covers the edges too so if the phone falls there will be no damage to the screen!

Last edited:

Hele

macrumors member
May 14, 2022
Rhode Island
It affects the feel
And that's why I don't use a glass (or other) screen protector.

None, never used one. Apple spent money on this glass to make it rugged enough that some silly film isn't necessary.

People who refuse to use screen protectors end up with tonnes of micro scratches along with deeper scratches on their screen. There is also a higher chance of their screen shattering without a protector. I don’t care what Apple say about their screens — I’ve seen enough cracked iPhones to know they aren’t robust enough.

I find it hard to believe your screen is 100% unscathed with no micro scratches. I use cases and screen protectors and have done since 2016. I have zero damage on any of my current or previous iPhones. Glad you haven’t had any catastrophies though, I suppose you’re one of the lucky ones. Most people who do not use protection on their phones use AppleCare+ which is a needless expense in my opinion.
I got a glass screen protector to go along with my Otterbox Defender when I first got my 11, but I took it off when I learned that Otterbox designed the Defender series to be used without one. Even though people on the Otterbox site still complained about no screen protector and insisted on applying one anyway, I'm a believer in the Defender's screenless design.

On my 13PM, I don't use a case -- I actually use Apple's MagSafe leather sleeve, so that all my interactions with my iPhone are caseless -- and I don't use a screen protector either. While it's true that no one (not even I) likes a scratch, I have a few hard-to-see micro-scratches on the display. Though not ideal, I don't mind that kind of wear and tear. I couldn't care less about resale value, as I typically keep a phone when I'm done with it or hand it down to a family member.

All that said, when I did have the screen protector on my 11 which I got at the Verizon store, I had it replaced a couple of times. I forget what I paid for the original, but VZW would replace it at any time for $10. That was the deal on that one. But that, too, was money and time spent going to the store. Now, I do have Apple Care just in case (pun intended!😄), and I don't mind paying for it especially since I have the loss & theft extra.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.