Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fancy2022

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2022
Now my iPhone uses a tempered glass screen protector, but it will thicken the phone, and if you drop it once, the screen protector will crack. Do you have any better screen protectors to recommend?

D3ggy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2019
Take a look at the Spigen ones that come with an application jig. In the past I have used the ones at the Apple store but they are expensive although I think you get free replacements if they crack.

The Spigen seems good and you get 2 for £14 off Amazon

fancy2022

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2022
Has anyone used hydrogel screen protectors? I read the introduction. It can automatically repair bubbles and scratches, and it will not break. Has anyone used it?

Reactions: iMarkypad

fancy2022

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2022
Take a look at the Spigen ones that come with an application jig. In the past I have used the ones at the Apple store but they are expensive although I think you get free replacements if they crack.

But I am a person who often drops my phone, if I use the tempered glass film, it is easy to break

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
If you drop your phone a lot, would you not consider a rugged case that can protect the entire phone?

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
If you drop your phone a lot, would you not consider a rugged case that can protect the entire phone?
As long as a case is used, the glass should not crack. I have dropped my phones many times on concrete and hardwood floors and have never had so much as a scratch on any of them. I have had minor scratches on screen protectors which had to be replaced.

Nbd1790

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2017
New York
I use the Spigen Privacy Glass protector on my 12 Pro with an Apple Leather Case. Over the course of about a year and a half, I've had to replace it twice - dropping it several times. It doesn't break every time you drop it, just depends on where the screen makes contact on the fall.

If you're dropping your phone enough that this is a legitimate concern, buy one that has a replacement plan. Thickness is such a minor amount with screen protectors. Anything that's slimmer will likely lower its effectiveness. Although as someone above mentioned, might be time to consider getting a more protective case.

Muttx7

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2022
Indiana

The Spigen is what I use and it works great. I've dropped the phone a couple of times and so far no issues.

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
The Belkin InvisiGlass Ultra they sell in Apple stores are AMAZING. It's the clearest, one of the thinnest and best fingerprint resistant protector I've ever used and I tried a BUNCH. But it's $$$.

If you get them to install it at the Apple store with their machine, it's flawless every time but be sure to inspect it for any dust particles before you walk out of there. They they mess up with a piece of dust they'll install another one until you're happy.

Reactions: Zorori

BNIB

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2022
The Belkin InvisiGlass Ultra they sell in Apple stores are AMAZING. It's the clearest, one of the thinnest and best fingerprint resistant protector I've ever used and I tried a BUNCH. But it's $$$.

If you get them to install it at the Apple store with their machine, it's flawless every time but be sure to inspect it for any dust particles before you walk out of there. They they mess up with a piece of dust they'll install another one until you're happy.
I’ve heard lots of good things about this one but I really wish they covered the notch.

BNIB

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2022
I like one from Speck. On the picture it would show that it has the notch cutout, but I’ve been buying several of them from different shops and they cover the notch. It’s the one I really like so far.

Another one that also covers the notch that I like is one from Amazon by TOZO. Much cheaper (especially if you like to be very precise and might need few installation attempts) but I find the oleophobic coating isn’t as good as Speck’s one.

anubis1980

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I have never used The Apple Belkin one before, I picked up my 13 pm and decided to splurge on one. It’s by far the best protector I’ve had . I often find the sides lifting up on screen protectors, this one so far has been perfect . In the future when I upgrade to a new iPhone, I’ll be getting the protectors fitted in store as default

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
None, never used one. Apple spent money on this glass to make it rugged enough that some silly film isn't necessary.
People who refuse to use screen protectors end up with tonnes of micro scratches along with deeper scratches on their screen. There is also a higher chance of their screen shattering without a protector. I don’t care what Apple say about their screens — I’ve seen enough cracked iPhones to know they aren’t robust enough.

Reactions: BNIB

orionquest

Suspended
Mar 16, 2022
The Great White North
People who refuse to use screen protectors end up with tonnes of micro scratches along with deeper scratches on their screen. There is also a higher chance of their screen shattering without a protector. I don’t care what Apple say about their screens — I’ve seen enough cracked iPhones to know they aren’t robust enough.
I've never experienced any of the issues you described, I've had 3 iphones. Not to say no one has. The one iPhone I dropped onto my driveway and it landed face down. One corner of the screen was dented in but no real scratches and it worked perfectly. They seem pretty tough to me. I don't use a case either. ?‍♂️

iMarkypad

macrumors member
May 3, 2022
Now my iPhone uses a tempered glass screen protector, but it will thicken the phone, and if you drop it once, the screen protector will crack. Do you have any better screen protectors to recommend?
Try getting a strong case that can protect your iPhone. This will reduce the impact on your iPhone when dropped

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I've never experienced any of the issues you described, I've had 3 iphones. Not to say no one has. The one iPhone I dropped onto my driveway and it landed face down. One corner of the screen was dented in but no real scratches and it worked perfectly. They seem pretty tough to me. I don't use a case either. ?‍♂️
I find it hard to believe your screen is 100% unscathed with no micro scratches. I use cases and screen protectors and have done since 2016. I have zero damage on any of my current or previous iPhones. Glad you haven’t had any catastrophies though, I suppose you’re one of the lucky ones. Most people who do not use protection on their phones use AppleCare+ which is a needless expense in my opinion.

orionquest

Suspended
Mar 16, 2022
The Great White North
I find it hard to believe your screen is 100% unscathed with no micro scratches. I use cases and screen protectors and have done since 2016. I have zero damage on any of my current or previous iPhones. Glad you haven’t had any catastrophies though, I suppose you’re one of the lucky ones. Most people who do not use protection on their phones use AppleCare+ which is a needless expense in my opinion.
It's funny you ask, after I wrote my last reply I looked at it more closely, and again now. Angling the phone against the light from my monitor. No scratches, nothing. It's a iPhone SE. I have dropped this phone as well. there are 2 small chips/cracks on the right side bezel area. The top right corner is slightly dinged. Whatever these micro scratches are I am not seeing them. Can't explain it, not like I baby the thing, it's either the SE glass is somehow different, and the other phones are more prone to this.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
It's funny you ask, after I wrote my last reply I looked at it more closely, and again now. Angling the phone against the light from my monitor. No scratches, nothing. It's a iPhone SE. I have dropped this phone as well. there are 2 small chips/cracks on the right side bezel area. The top right corner is slightly dinged. Whatever these micro scratches are I am not seeing them. Can't explain it, not like I baby the thing, it's either the SE glass is somehow different, and the other phones are more prone to this.
Glad to hear. I use an iPhone SE ‘16 with a tempered glass screen protector. The glass appears to be quite flimsy on this device so I am surprised yours has no scratches. My work phone, which is a Galaxy Note 8, is a premium device made with Gorilla Glass 5. The glass is far tougher on the Note 8 than the SE. I do not use a screen protector and this thing is covered with small micro scratches. These scratches are not noticeable when the screen is on but highly visible when nothing is being displayed.

shady16

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2019
rhinoshield makes a good one to protect the display its called impact shield

steve31

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
Edmonton Canada

Agree. Its the only one I will use. The fringerprint resistance is the best.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.