What the Iphone 4G is missing.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by adeloren, Apr 24, 2010.

1. adeloren macrumors member

A reminder light that flashes when you have a text message/email like the blackberry. Anyone else feel like this would be a worthwhile feature?

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

3. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

Absolutely! It is 100% necessary.

Let's not forget that the purpose of an iPhone is to use it to communicate first, then apps/games/web browsing second. The light would let you know if you needed to check the phone for messages, emails, missed calls, etc. Especially helpful for people who are constantly texting.

If there was an LED, the screen would not have to turn on when you receive a SMS. It could just flash the LED, vibrate, and play the sound. It would save lots of battery life.

Apple can make everyone happy if they do it like the LED on the bluetooth keyboard. You don't see it if it is off, but when it is on you can see it clearly.

I just don't understand why anyone would NOT want this.

(And Apple better make the phone ring/vibrate like it is supposed to at EVERY message received, not just when it chooses to)

4. adeloren thread starter macrumors member

I dont know... i find my iphone sitting on my bed or table on vibrate and never even notice i have a message. Im surprised no one else would like it. i sure would.

5. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

OP tells the truth. After getting my Nexus One and being able to customize the colors of the trackball to whatever notification I want, I can never go back!. I never understood just how awesome a indicator light really was (especially being able to customize it so heavily like I can) until I got.

6. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

I am with you 100%. Just this morning after getting out of the shower I took a glance at my phone and saw it was blinking yellow and blue. I immediately knew I had a missed call and email waiting for me.

7. chembox macrumors 6502a

This would be the perfect step in the right direction to make the iPhone appeal to the professional market. Why would you want to click on the home screen, unlock your phone, and travel to your mail/phone/text app to see if you have any new notifications when you can do just that by pulling out your phone?

It's an extremely nifty feature on the Blackberry that I've been wishing for my iPhone to have.

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I unlock my iPhone and my mail, phone, text apps show notifications. What's the big deal? I'm not 'traveling' or doing many steps.

9. blancoBronco macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

I agree 100%. it's not difficult to unlock your phone for 3 seconds to see any missed calls, messages, emails, whatever. I would absolutely hate if the next iPhone had a notification LED

10. chembox macrumors 6502a

Most people have passcodes on their iPhones, especially on corporate phones, and if Apple is about simplicity, they would use some sort of grouped notification system in the taskbar or have a notification light on the phone.

It's not difficult at all, it's rather just annoying how Apple hasn't setup any type of central notification system throughout it's OS. Just because you don't find something useful, doesn't mean others wouldn't as well. If it really annoyed you, hopefully Apple would add a setting to change the color or disable it completely.

11. Noelmel macrumors regular

I'm hoping for a screen lock button like on the ipad. I hate lying in bed and it keeps rotating on me. Also full landscape mode like even on the homescreens would be nice (I believe the ipad also has that in any direction)

12. Shaduu macrumors 6502a

Shaduu

I hate the notification LED on my Curve. There are times when I don't want to be interrupted by my phone yet my BlackBerry insists on screaming that I have new mails even though I've just read it in Mail.

It's got to the point where I put my phone face down when it's on my desk.

13. chembox macrumors 6502a

If you're lying down in landscape mode with your phone and the home screen button is on the right (towards the bed), it will not rotate to portrait mode.

14. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

I, coming from a Blackberry a few years ago am a big fan of this feature. As a matter of fact, now that I think of it ... I'm pretty sure every cell phone I have ever owned has had this feature.

That said, I don't really feel this feature is a necessity, yet I don't understand why some people are so against it. Apple could easily implement this feature under the glass or within the white square on the home button and offer and option to disable it ( for all the people that are so inconvenienced by this feature ).

15. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

I know its not many steps but having to do these steps are even better don't you think? Like the poster above said, Apple is about simplicity, so simply looking at your phone is a lot more simple then pressing the home button, then sliding to unlock and then pressing the screen lock button.

16. That70sGAdawg macrumors 6502a

That70sGAdawg

N.Georgia, USA (on the Lake, near the Mountains)
    Stereo Speakers, like a two year old Blackberry Bold 9000...

17. cmaier macrumors G3

You can't get meaningful stereo separation from a 5" device. It serves no purpose.

No. I went out of my way to disable that on my Treo 650, and knowing Apple there would be no way to do so on an iPhone.

If you have a source for this contention, please provide a link.

18. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Any data to backup that most people have passcodes?

FYI, my phone is jailbroken, so I don't have to slide anything (a stupid feature, IMO), since I just tap to unlock. Also, I hear the notifications, so if I care, then I look.

However, it doesn't really matter to me if we had the LED. Since, BB people want it, Apple could add it, but I'm not going to miss it if they don't.

19. chembox macrumors 6502a

Let's not get into the discussion if/why/who uses a passcode lock because a fair amount of people that have personal information on their iPhones do.

The LED light is a feature that everyone should accept IF Apple could allow the user to enable it or disable it if it's an inconvenience. Unfortunately, Apple never really had a history of letting users pick things for themselves, Apple apparently 'knows what's right or wrong for the consumer'.