What to Expect at Apple's September 2018 Event: New iPhones, Apple Watch Series 4, AirPods, AirPower and More

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 7, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

On Wednesday, September 12, Apple will hold its annual iPhone-centric event at the Steve Jobs Theater on the Apple Park campus. This year's theme is "Gather Round," the line that was on the invitations sent out to members of the media in late August.

This year's event is shaping up to be quite exciting, with three new iPhones and refreshed Apple Watch Series 4 models on the horizon. Bigger displays seem to be the major draw this year, with Apple introducing both a 6.5-inch iPhone and larger-screened Apple Watch models that have smaller bezels.

2018 iPhone Lineup

Apple's 2018 iPhone lineup will consist of three devices: a 5.8-inch OLED device that's a follow up to the current iPhone X, a larger 6.5-inch OLED device that's a sort of "iPhone X Plus," and a 6.1-inch device with an LCD screen and a lower price tag that's meant to be Apple's more affordable smartphone.

All three of the iPhones will feature nearly edge-to-edge designs with a notch that houses a TrueDepth Camera System, putting an end to the Touch ID Home button in Apple's flagship iPhone lineup. While the three iPhones will have almost non-existent bezels like the iPhone X, the 6.1-inch iPhone's bezels may be slightly thicker due to the LCD display instead of the OLED display.

[​IMG]
    2018 iPhone dummy models

Internally, Apple employees are said to be referring to this year's iPhones as an "S" upgrade, a notation reserved for years when upgrades focus on internal components rather than design changes. "S" naming is appropriate given that all three iPhones are using an X-style design even though there are two new devices.

Apple is expected to use the 7-nanometer TSMC-manufactured A12 chip in all of the new iPhones for parity in processing power. The A12 should be faster and more efficient than the A11 for faster processing times, better graphics, and improved battery life. Early benchmarks suggest the A12 is 10 percent faster than the A11.

Leaked information from Apple suggests the 5.8-inch iPhone will be referred to as the "iPhone Xs" while the larger 6.5-inch iPhone could be called the "iPhone Xs Max," with Apple doing away with the "Plus" moniker that it has used since the release of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.

Such a naming scheme makes some sense because the "Plus" designation has traditionally referred to phones that have features non-Plus phones do not, but it does not appear that there are differentiating features between the two OLED iPhones with the exception of screen size, battery life, and price tag.

The iPhone Xs models, which will have resolutions of 2,688 x 1,242 (6.5") and 2,436 x 1,125 (5.8") according to rumors, will feature 12-megapixel dual-lens camera systems like the iPhone X, sturdy stainless steel frames, faster Intel LTE modems with support for 4X4 MIMO, 4GB RAM, and up to 512GB of storage space.

Improved battery technology may allow Apple to introduce a two-cell L-shaped 3,300 to 3,400 mAh battery in the 6.5-inch model and a 2,700 to 2,800 two-cell battery in the 5.8-inch iPhone.

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: What to Expect at Apple's September 2018 Event: New iPhones, Apple Watch Series 4, AirPods, AirPower and More

2. gsmornot, Sep 7, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2018

gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I should have taken the day off but need the money after the event. Ha.

I plan to pick up the 6.5 iPhone and the Series 4 watch.

3. netdudeuk macrumors 6502

They ought to be showing some new iMacs along with new iPad Pros.

4. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Expect Eddy Cue to fall asleep during the XSMAX announcement

5. vmistery macrumors 6502a

looking forward to the watch, interested in seeing the pricing for the new iPhones and how the X will compare to the new budget options.

6. sclawis300 macrumors 65816

7. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

I love my iPhone X, but I’m already starting to get the bug for the bigger brother.

8. EdT macrumors 65816

EdT

I think that they should rethink their naming strategy if the name of their premium phone sounds like the word “excess”. I don’t care if it’s intentional or if some clueless MBA suggested the name and no one wanted to point out to the boss the bad impression that name might give to Apple.

9. Veinticinco macrumors 6502a

Veinticinco

Who cares at this point? It's lapped itself. Quite embarrassing really.

10. Dormammu macrumors 65816

Dormammu

A mysterious location in the middle of nowhere
    I think more people maybe excited about the Apple Watch than the iPhone for once. I certainly am. My iPhone X will be fine for at least another year or two

11. Veinticinco macrumors 6502a

Veinticinco

XS also stands for Extra Small (just ask Xherdan Shaqiri)

By your logic, the Pro suffix should be unacceptable as it's a colloquial term for the oldest profession.

Bad impression? I think you've got a bit carried away.

12. BigSky20 macrumors regular

We have taken the X and......wait for it......made it bigger!

Wake me up when it is over...

13. napabar macrumors 6502

napabar

Apple doesn't upgrade the iMac every year. That is an incorrect statement.

14. rjtyork macrumors regular

Idea: improve Siri really really hard. Then call the next iPhone the iPhone Siri.

15. Greenmeenie macrumors 65816

Greenmeenie

16. Vermont1966 macrumors newbie

Vermont1966

Wake me up when they present a 4" iPhone.

17. Aussi3 macrumors 6502

Aussi3

I’m waiting for iPad hopefully they announce them otherwise it’s another 2 months lol

18. Codeseven macrumors 6502a

“......and More” ? What is the ‘more’ part? I’m assumin iPad Pro?

19. scottcampbell macrumors regular

We'll see if I feel like upgrading my 6S :cool:

20. Digital Dude macrumors 6502

Digital Dude

Arizona where freedom still means something
    Based on the last 3-years of product releases, I think it's wise for Apple to stay away from the word 'Pro' in any product they produce. With Apple, this word is equivalent to the notion that 'everyone receives a trophy' by just showing up.

21. Cosmosent macrumors 6502a

1.) I am expecting ~512 MB of Dedicated Burst Photo Dram on "at least" the two OLED models.

2.) NOT expecting 10-bit color capture OR display, but would be great if it happened !

3.) NOT expecting any mention of Rec.2100-based video support, but would be great if it happened ! ... if mentioned on the 12th, listen for any mention of PQ, HLG, AND/OR iCtCp.

Rec. 2100-compliant 1080p is the future of mobile video ! ... & it will happen soon !

22. unobtainium macrumors 68020

Just played with a X again in-store and can't believe how jittery/blurry text is when scrolling. I hate the OLED screens. Hope Apple has improved them for this next gen.

23. cliffster82 macrumors 6502

Yikes. My bank account can't deal with all this. Nice work Apple. Also, the decision between cameras on the 5.8 and 6.1 is harrrd.

24. fathergll macrumors 65816

I fully expect Big Tim to say "and just one more thing.."

Then unveils 18 core Mac Mini Threadripper!

25. AVEGA macrumors regular

AVEGA

They should just do Volume like watch’s .
    iPhone X Volume 2 .
    The 5.1 LCD phone seems like the black sheep of the bunch . Another C for crap phone . Lack of 3D Touch is annoying, makes things too inconsistent. At least SE is old so you understand that but a new phone that doesn’t it . Boo

I hope they mention a wireless keyboard with Touch ID and touch bar for iMacs . It would be wonderful to have. So new iOS releases Right after the presentation? Or a day later ?